• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romney's Speech Against Trump

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder what Romney intends, since Trump looks unlikely to be derailed, & his remarks only help the opposition.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are the statements and actions by Trump outlined in Romney's speech insufficient, by themselves, to explain why Romney gave the speech?
He wouldn't opine without expecting consequences.
So the question is....what consequences does he intend?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Basic Wikipedia info about the Hinckley Institute for Politics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinckley_Institute_of_Politics

He's probably right about trade war. That would be bad. Trade war means countries start raising tariffs. He may have gotten a lot of his material from John Oliver's show which covered a lot of the same points first: Youtube link to John Oliver comedic episode about Donald Trump/Drumpf

However Romney covers additional points and objections such as Trump's idea to let ISIS take out Assad.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think it was a huge mistake for Romney to do the work of the Democratic Party for them. What I do find a bit strange is the lack of attention his comments have garnered since. Most reactions seem to be, "Oh, Mitt's still alive. How nice."

Basic Wikipedia info about the Hinckley Institute for Politics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinckley_Institute_of_Politics

He's probably right about trade war. That would be bad. Trade war means countries start raising tariffs. He may have gotten a lot of his material from John Oliver's show which covered a lot of the same points first: Youtube link to John Oliver comedic episode about Donald Trump/Drumpf

However Romney covers additional points and objections such as Trump's idea to let ISIS take out Assad.
Thank you for that. Interesting points. Can I just say I haven't seen John Oliver's segment but I had mentally made a similar list of objections to Trump that Romney raised, so I'm not sure we have to believe that Romney got any material from John Oliver rather than just quoting / paraphrasing the outlandish things Trump has said during this primary.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think it was a huge mistake for Romney to do the work of the Democratic Party for them. What I do find a bit strange is the lack of attention his comments have garnered since. Most reactions seem to be, "Oh, Mitt's still alive. How nice."

Isn't it understandable that some in the GOP might prefer someone with a semblance of integrity to run against the dems?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Isn't it understandable that some in the GOP might prefer someone with a semblance of integrity to run against the dems?

If only so many Conservatives would simply quit ridiculously pretending that any of their candidates this year are even marginally adequate presidential material, they might actually get around to doing something constructive, such as drafting a presidential candidate who reasonable people can vote for with confidence and integrity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If only so many Conservatives would simply quit ridiculously pretending that any of their candidates this year are even marginally adequate presidential material, they might actually get around to doing something constructive, such as drafting a presidential candidate who reasonable people can vote for with confidence and integrity.

The problem is that sizeable portions of the population aren't exactly reasonable. Their votes are basically summed up by bumper sticker platitudes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He appears to intend the consequence that Donald Trump not be the Republican nominee - that seems obvious to me, is it not so to you?
Yes, that is the obvious consequence.
But there are secondary ones about which I wonder.....
Who would replace Trump?
If Trump is the nominee, what damage does Mitt do?
Which alternative would benefit most?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The problem is that sizeable portions of the population aren't exactly reasonable. Their votes are basically summed up by bumper sticker platitudes.

I think it's ironic that Trump seems to have been made possible by the long time GOP strategy of politically mobilizing the less reasonable elements in society. Back in the 50s, responsible Conservatives, such as William F. Buckley banished nutcases like the John Birchers from their party. Buckley had the brains and foresight to anticipate the damage those nutcases could do to both the party and the nation. Today's Conservatives seem careless of the consequences of politically mobilizing the lunatics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wanting quality control for your party would show that you value it rather than intend to disavow it.
I just can't believe that he'd pursue that without considering the effects upon the actual Dem v Pub campaign.
You think that's his only focus?