• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rome Italy Temple virtual tour

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
If anyone's interested in Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples, whether you are a member or not, there's a virtual tour of the Rome Italy temple here:

whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc

Of course!
The point of the building is not to surpass Christ, but to be a place set apart to focus on Him and come closer to Him.

It's a lovely building... would be sad if a brick and mortar building becomes a distraction from looking at 'the Christ' who builds a temple using the members of his church as living stones

Jane.Doe

It's a lovely building... would be sad if a brick and mortar building becomes a distraction from looking at 'the Christ' who builds a temple using the members of his church as living stones
Agreed, which is why the focus is always about Christ.

dianaiad

It would be...if it ever becomes such a distraction. It won't. None of our Temples do, any more than the church you go to, with crosses or crucifixes hanging on the walls, is a distraction from your own worship of Him.

Sometimes I have to wonder, when I hear this sort of comment from non-Mormons, especially those who attend mega churches and whose own chapels are beautiful, why they think that their buildings, crosses, etc., are reminders of Him, but ours are distractions from Him.

It is a puzzle.

whirlingmerc

It would be...if it ever becomes such a distraction. It won't. None of our Temples do, any more than the church you go to, with crosses or crucifixes hanging on the walls, is a distraction from your own worship of Him.

Sometimes I have to wonder, when I hear this sort of comment from non-Mormons, especially those who attend mega churches and whose own chapels are beautiful, why they think that their buildings, crosses, etc., are reminders of Him, but ours are distractions from Him.

It is a puzzle.

I would not look at a church building as a Temple. But in Biblical language each believer is 'a temple of the Holy Spirit' and so I am not inclined to call something besides Christ or the people in the church temples

Mega churches are not exempt form the risk of being a bit shallow... not always but sometimes ... If the focus is numbers not Christ that can be a problem

Jane.Doe

I would not look at a church building as a Temple. But in Biblical language each believer is 'a temple of the Holy Spirit' and so I am not inclined to call something besides Christ or the people in the church temples
Still: why would the decorations in one building automatically qualify as a potential distraction and no another?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Anyway although I just got baptized and have to wait a tiny bit before I can return to the Temple, I didn't want any fighting on this page but I second Jane.Doe that it is all about Christ. The video says the same.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

It is a puzzle.
The temple is beautiful and if it were not associated with our Church in particular, other people would say it was beautiful, too.

whirlingmerc

The temple is beautiful and if it were not associated with our Church in particular, other people would say it was beautiful, too.

It is a lovely design.
I like the thought that Melchizedek points to Christ

In Psalm 109 you have the Judas Epic who persecutees 'the poor man' but God is at the right hand of the poor man to help him and in the next thought in Psalm 110 a man is called to sit at God's right hand of the order of Melchizedek. The new testament cites both Passages as being about Jesus

That would be a good example of a symbol pointing to Christ
It's stunning that God put those Psalms as part of the prelude to the Passover Songs in the book of Psalms

The Super Epic Psalms - How the Longest Psalms Point to Jesus

dianaiad

Yes...and perhaps when I have been away from the naysayers a bit longer, I'll find more who find it beautiful...and don't add some insulting and disparaging 'but' to the statement.

Getting there....