• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Role models

tcprowling

With the onset of the football season in Australia, our sports media of late has been full of reports on the "off field" behaviour of our high profile players. I suspect the same is with other countries too.
So my question is
Are high profile sportspersons placed under too much pressure to remain squeaky clean role models?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I like'em better when they're dirty. :D

f_1m_2c0b615.jpg
f_2m_efc61e5.jpg

kateyes

Yes, I think so. I think for the most part they are just folks like us--and it seems remarkably unfair to hold them to some kind of higher standard because of athletic skill they were probably born with.

I don't think most of them got into sport to be a role model for kids and I don't think it is fair to expect them to live thier lives by some unrealistic standard because kids do look up to them. Do we hold kid's fathers, scout leaders, teachers, to the same standard?

tcprowling

kateyes said:
Yes, I think so. I think for the most part they are just folks like us--and it seems remarkably unfair to hold them to some kind of higher standard because of athletic skill they were probably born with.

I don't think most of them got into sport to be a role model for kids and I don't think it is fair to expect them to live thier lives by some unrealistic standard because kids do look up to them. Do we hold kid's fathers, scout leaders, teachers, to the same standard?
Kateyes,
I tend to agree with you. I am also of the opinion that those kids who are most likely to be influenced by sportsperson are to young to be even interested in what their behaviour is Off field. I feel it's the media that places the role model tag on our sportspersons and then uses it as a focus point for sensationalism

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do we hold kid's fathers, scout leaders, teachers, to the same standard?
I feel the ones you mention should be held to a high standards.

Most kids, or at least from my school, the athlets were looked up just for thier talents. We didn't care about thier personal lives, just how well they played.