• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v Wade Overturned?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
With the coming Bush appointments to the Supreme Court, it seems possible that Roe v. Wade, legalizing abortion, will someday be overturned. If that happens, what happens afterwards? Will the battle over abortion be taken to the States, rather than the Federal Government? Will some states then set up their own laws legalizing abortion within those states? Will back alley abortions become prevalent again? Will the country remain politically divided on the abortion issue? What do you think will happen if Roe v Wade is overturned?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
If it does happen, it will be the beginning of the end for personal rights.... oh wait, that's already started. Welcome to the Theocracy of the United States, folks!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
If it does happen, it will be the beginning of the end for personal rights.... oh wait, that's already started. Welcome to the Theocracy of the United States, folks!
And the rights of the child?

And it's going to take a lot more than overturning Rovywade to make this country a Theocracy ... so just put the welcome mat back where it came from.

robtex

Veteran Member
I don't know if the anti-abortion crowd has really thought the aftermath through Sunstone. No mention of things like

1) mandatory adaption of foster parents coming from welefare mothers
2) increased taxes on food and medicine to accomodate for the 1.3 million childs per year that will be fed with federal funds.
3) new celibacy laws would need to be put in place for consistant offenders of unwanted child births including forced sterilzation laws for repeat offenders.
4) A specialed tax program would be put into effect to create funds for raising the childern due to parents inablity to financially manage their new larger families including funds for child care education medince and insurance needs that would be run in large part by the state.

Here are some abortion stats that are just numbers not opinions

http://womensissues.about.com/cs/abortionstats/a/aaabortionstats.htm

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Storm Moon said:
Women's health rights thrown out the window?

I'm all for abortion being legal, because the alternatives are too horrible to imagine; but abortion is not about women's health (except in maybe 1% of cases).

Roe V. Wade will not be overturned by any court. The fact of the matter is that there is nothing in the constitution that says you cannot kill your child before it is born. Congress would have to pass a law making abortion illegal first and that won't happen.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Ending abortion would not make this a Theocracy, the pro-life movement consists of members of a diverse range of faiths, including Atheists...

because the alternatives are too horrible to imagine
I'm not sure I can invision much on this earth more horrid than the slaying of unborn children...

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Mister Emu said:
I'm not sure I can invision much on this earth more horrid than the slaying of unborn children...

I can. I think abortion may be one of the most evil things in the history of mankind, it's up there with genocide; but still, Americans are some of the least sexually responsible people in the world... having these children could be as bad as killing them. It's a very discouraging thought, I know. But, the real problem is not abortion. It's the moral decline of American culture. We've lost all concept of character, virtue and honor in this country. Abortion is just a consequence of that.

Flappycat

Actually, moderate pro-lifers can thank the Supreme Court for insuring that the state is guaranteed power to impose regulations upon abortions conducted between the first semester and viability and to even prohibit the abortion of viable fetuses.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If Roe vs. Wade was overturned, I'd give my girlfriend a big smooch and be glad she can't get me pregnant.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
If Roe vs. Wade was overturned, I'd give my girlfriend a big smooch and be glad she can't get me pregnant.
And you'd have you're pick of cute little kids to adopt (yeah I know bad taste). :bonk:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
With the coming Bush appointments to the Supreme Court, it seems possible that Roe v. Wade, legalizing abortion, will someday be overturned. If that happens, what happens afterwards? Will the battle over abortion be taken to the States, rather than the Federal Government? Will some states then set up their own laws legalizing abortion within those states? Will back alley abortions become prevalent again? Will the country remain politically divided on the abortion issue? What do you think will happen if Roe v Wade is overturned?
Lots of unwanted children; poor families, and many more single mothers.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Speaking as a child who was 'unwanted' and would have been aborted if my mother hadn't gone against my father's wishes, I can honestly say that it would've been easier to have died before birth than to have lived through the hell of what I was then put through.

While, of course, I'm happy now that I'm alive, if, growing up, I could have chosen whether or not I'd have been born? No question about what I would have wanted.

I know this is not the case with all unwanted pregnancies, and I'm sure that there are many homes in which the child grows up into a nurturing and loving environment. I also hope I would never be in a position to have to consider an abortion.

I just don't understand why people would want to stop abortion if they're not going to ensure that there's adequete support for the child in question. It's as if some people stop caring about the baby once it's left the womb.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Speaking as a child who was 'unwanted' and would have been aborted if my mother hadn't gone against my father's wishes, I can honestly say that it would've been easier to have died before birth than to have lived through the hell of what I was then put through.

While, of course, I'm happy now that I'm alive, if, growing up, I could have chosen whether or not I'd have been born? No question about what I would have wanted.

I know this is not the case with all unwanted pregnancies, and I'm sure that there are many homes in which the child grows up into a nurturing and loving environment. I also hope I would never be in a position to have to consider an abortion.

I just don't understand why people would want to stop abortion if they're not going to ensure that there's adequete support for the child in question. It's as if some people stop caring about the baby once it's left the womb.
Well I'm happy you're alive feathers :bounce .

If you don't struggle, you will never be stronger.

As for adequate support, I would hope that the family unit of the mother and/or father would provide this. If there is noone else it would be a very difficult task, but it's a case of struggle again. It hurts sometimes and others it seems impossible, but a wise women once told me: "The right thing to do, is usually the hardest."

scitsofreaky

Nothing good could come of abortion being made illegal, whether you personally are "pro-choice" or not. Women were getting abortions before roe v wade, and will afterwards. The only difference is that now they go to doctors that know what they are doing instead of guys they meet in an alley.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
scitsofreaky said:
Nothing good could come of abortion being made illegal, whether you personally are "pro-choice" or not. Women were getting abortions before roe v wade, and will afterwards. The only difference is that now they go to doctors that know what they are doing instead of guys they meet in an alley.
Exactly. :clap

Flappycat

SnaleSpace said:
If you don't struggle, you will never be stronger.
I can think of a number of people who'd find this quite tactless. Personally, I find the notion of aborting a viable fetus distasteful, but the last abortion doctor I heard of going to prison was trying to help some poor woman whose husband had left her while she was pregnant and already trying to raise kids. I've read stories about teenagers being sent to prison for life terms for panicking over a pregnancy and inducing an abortion, and I find this to be an especially repugnant example of just how far the pro-lifers go in putting more value in the life of a stupid fetus than in those of a couple of teenagers who just didn't know what else to do. The pro-life movement is a sick and dangerous perversion of morality that must be curbed. If you think it's wrong to abort, then don't. This is what strict vegans have been doing for centuries.