• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robert Mugabe Resigns

Laika

Premium Member
After ruling Zimbabwe for 37 years, Robert Mugabe resigned with immediate hours after parliament began proceedings to impeach him. When the house speaker announced that Mugabe had submitted his resignation letter, there was jubilation in parliament and on the streets in the capital city, Harare, and in major cities across the country.

Hope and uncertainty in Zimbabwe as Robert Mugabe resigns as president

Do you have any thoughts on Mugabe and the future of Zimbabwe?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
After ruling Zimbabwe for 37 years, Robert Mugabe resigned with immediate hours after parliament began proceedings to impeach him. When the house speaker announced that Mugabe had submitted his resignation letter, there was jubilation in parliament and on the streets in the capital city, Harare, and in major cities across the country.

Do you? Is this a good thing or a bad thing in general for the people of Zimbabwe (I haven't been paying attention is why I ask)?

Laika

Premium Member
Do you? Is this a good thing or a bad thing in general for the people of Zimbabwe (I haven't been paying attention is why I ask)?

Not really. I don't have strong opinions either way but still think its worth posting as RFs news is usually very American centric. Pure knee-jerk reaction is its probably a good thing if they can get there act together and make a stable transition to a democratic state.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Now that he will have more free time on his hands I wonder if he could get his old job back with the WHO as goodwill ambassador?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is good that he has gone, and has not been replaced by his wife, as he had planned.
However the vice president, who will replace him, was equally despotic.
So their jubilation might be very misplaced.
Time will tell.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not really. I don't have strong opinions either way but still think its worth posting as RFs news is usually very American centric. Pure knee-jerk reaction is its probably a good thing if they can get there act together and make a stable transition to a democratic state.

Kinda concerned about the military's role in this.

It is good that he has gone, and has not been replaced by his wife, as he had planned.
Time will tell.

Does the military and/or the people support this guy?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Kinda concerned about the military's role in this.

Does the military and/or the people support this guy?

He used to be Mugabe's fixer enforcer. And the richest man in Zimbabwe.
At the moment they have amnesia.
Though I doubt he will change his spots.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Was he conservative or liberal? I'd like to paint everyone of his political ilk with the same broad brush of his failings.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

He was a rather douchey despot. That the people are celebrating should say enough. Will probably just end up with another dictatorship, though.

Jumi

Was he conservative or liberal? I'd like to paint everyone of his political ilk with the same broad brush of his failings.
Nationalist left-wing, hated white farmers. His politics were probably just an excuse for him to keep power and expand his wealth.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Time will tell.
From what I heard the other day, his VP is worse.

Jumi

They do not disagree at all. They are just doing what well educated students do. Protesting against oppression. and they have got their wish....
They didn't like what Mugabe did to their education system and country. The massacres and looting of his own land were just a few of his failures.