• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Rage in Chicago

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Road rage caught on camera shows 3 women attacking each other with bat

Police have opened an investigation into a disturbing act of road rage last week after cellphone video showed three women attacking each other with a bat on a busy Chicago highway.

Illinois State Police said the incident unfolded during rush hour on Interstate 57 on Chicago's south side early Thursday morning after a woman cut in front of a gray Hyundai while swinging a baseball bat out of the window.

Once in front of the car, she jumps out and smashes the bat onto the hood of the Hyundai. That's when a passenger in that car gets out and confronts the bat-wielding woman.

The article also mentioned that 80% of drivers will experience road rage at least once per year.

This one looked like the woman with the baseball bat was trying to cut into traffic.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Road rage is frightening and unnecessary because it kills and injures people, but the bat thing is so random and hilarious.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Some guy at the last minute tried exiting the freeway, and I was in a hurry so I didn't let him in... Well he got so mad he started swinging his arms around at me and yelling stuff. So I got out and walked up to his car, and he immediately rolled his windows up and settled down.

...This was on the freeway offramp. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
IMO.. If you are old enough to drive a car, you're old enough to control your temper.
Should be....but cars are like the internet, ie, there's an
anonymity element which encourages bad behavior in some.
We're just lucky that never happens on RF, eh.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
what?.....you know who I am?

now THAT really irritates me

and YOUR behavior.....leaves quite a bit to be …...desired?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just yesterday my wife and my son reported a news they had heard

some guy got arrested for killing a man after changing glances

out on the road
nothing was said
no accident

the shooter claimed the victim he shot.....looked at him

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
just yesterday my wife and my son reported a news they had heard

some guy got arrested for killing a man after changing glances

out on the road
nothing was said
no accident

the shooter claimed the victim he shot.....looked at him

It's like Mad Max out there. (The original, not that terrible remake.)

I think the "Night Rider" sums up road rage rather well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And I believe this is an age of madness where all sorts of idiocy are on full display.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
A TV program about road rage featured video footage by a cyclist and London a driver. These two folks thought that they were innocent in every scene filmed.....
But in nearly every scene the cyclist's and/or the driver's attitude and actions had either caused or increased the conflict.
Not always, but it usually takes two idiots to cause a road rage incident.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I found an article on road rage which raised an interesting point: https://www.webmd.com/women/features/root-cause-of-road-rage#1

"You know those studies of overcrowding in rats?" asks Barry Markell, PhD, a psychotherapist in Park Ridge, Ill., who has treated many perpetrators and victims of road rage. "Well, rats are usually OK until there is one rat too many in an enclosed space and then they all turn on each other. There are far more people on the road than ever before. Crowding causes aggression."

Of course, as Markell points out, people in a grocery store line can also get stressed and annoyed. But in grocery store line, everyone involved is a person. The woman with the screaming kids is clearly a mother. The woman fumbling with the credit card machine is someone's grandmother.

Road ragers don't see the offender as a person. "They 'thingify' the person," Markell says.

Ava Cadell, PhD, a psychologist and instructor at the Institute fir the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco, agrees. "The heavy metal of a car is a safe haven. Road ragers don't think about the consequences or even about other people on the road as real people with real families."

So, maybe they're looking at other cars/drivers as machines that aren't working properly. Just like people might get mad at their toasters.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Road rage caught on camera shows 3 women attacking each other with bat

The article also mentioned that 80% of drivers will experience road rage at least once per year.

This one looked like the woman with the baseball bat was trying to cut into traffic.

In the UK i saw incidents of (minor) road rage almost daily and more serious, maybe vehicle damage or violence quite regularly.

I have been in france for 4 years now and only seen a couple of horn beeps and shaken heads. And one confrontational episode. A guy in a convertible BMW cut in front of an old lady at a roundabout. A couple of hundred yards further on traffic lights stopped traffic. The old lady got out of her car. Walked to the BMW, no words spoken she just slapped the drivers face and walked back to her car.

Every one who saw the original incident just fell about laughing (i i still chuckle at the memory). My husband says there is a different class of road rage in france.