• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rival's Religious Stuff

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know I've made a few posts like this, but I'm going to indulge myself once more. I like to write stuff to get it out and in this case feedback helps. I also need to be honest, which I'd like to hope I'm good at.

It's been six months since the tornado now since I became a Kemetic Pagan and it's not been easy at all. When I became a Noachide, it was because I'd already taken on those beliefs and covertly basically had for quite some time.

I had a, no pun intended at all, near suicidal faith in HaShem as a Noachide. I had no doubt whatsoever, apart from natural things that creep in now and then usually due to my own issues, that He existed and that He cared. It's impossible for me to say I didn't feel looked after or loved by HaShem. Almost every day I talked to Him about anything and everything, totally confident He was listening and responding. I had, in my mind, every reason to believe this.

One day I'd gone out looking for a Menorah or Hanukkiah (I didn't know the difference then), and it is 100% futile where I live. There are no Jews, no Jewish shops, and I wasn't even a Noachide at the time, but what do you know folks - I find one in a charity shop, missing its shamash but that's fine, and buy it. I hadn't seen one before and not since. I was at an outdoor market once and asked at a jewellery stand for a Star of David necklace and they said no luck, no surprise where I live, but at the next jewellery stand - ha! I called it the one HaShem gave me. I also found a kiddush cup in a charity shop in another completely non-Jewish town.

I was sat reading in my sun-room and there were bikers outside making a lot of noise for a lot of time and eventually I asked HaShem to shut them up. They didn't stop, but went incredibly quiet. Quiet enough I could read.

Before this I begged HaShem, as I had no internet at the time, to send me a Jewish person to help me understand Tanakh, because I didn't find the Christian explanations or my own readings sufficient - well then, mom kicked me out and I returned to RF and met Tumah, who provided perfect explanations for things that had been prodding my brain. I think Tumah found the notion that he was God-sent amusing, but I loved him dearly for this reason. He'd made lots of things fall into place in a way I could understand from a lay-person perspective and was someone I could interact with. This isn't to disparage other Jewish users, I just recall they were not very active at the time and I was looking for a particular viewpoint at this point.

Even before this, I would be forced to bike to town every week to sign on for my welfare and I had no bike lock, so I just left it outside the library unattended when I went to sign on or do my volunteer work, confident God would never let the bike be stolen. It wasn't ever stolen.

So some might even quite rightly call me reckless.

I recall coming home from France and I met this woman called Emma who had some family with her and wasn't sure whether she'd had a taxi booked because she thought her brother had booked one remotely on her behalf. Sure enough we found a large enough taxi waiting outside for us (she allowed me to ride with them) and the taxi driver said the cab was for Emma. She thanked her brother over the phone but her brother said he hadn't booked any taxi.

Many such things like this I attributed to HaShem.

I remember my nana bought me an angel hanging ornament and one day its arms had randomly broken off and I haven't found them to this day. I shrugged it off, certain it was just HaShem breaking the figure to prevent it from being some kind of idol, especially as her hands were clasped in the Christian prayer gesture. This breakage didn't bother me in the slightest.

There was no more intense prayer than prayer to HaShem. Others will recall how I never connected to any other God and always went back to HaShem.

I can never say I felt abandoned. I think it's crystal clear Someone is watching.

And maybe I abandoned that Someone.

In any case, faith in HaShem or no, the plain truth is there is no religion out there that is not avodah zarah that's for non-Jews (Noachidism is not a religion, as said by many Bnei Noach and Jews alike - they proclaim their religion to be Judaism, their covenant merely different). The God of Israel didn't give us one, and that dents my faith. He tells us what He doesn't want us doing but gives no alternative, because we clearly want more from our belief system than what the Noachide Covenant gives us and we're told we can't add to it to make a religion out of it, which is exactly what we want to do.

On the individual level, I felt incredibly looked after; on a national level, not so much.

But so far, this is the one place where HaShem appears to have been silent and will remain so.

Occasionally I wonder what I've done. At other times I don't care. If He wants to take it up with me afterwards, He can. I'll try not to fight.

:yellowheart:

(I'm aware to some people this is just 'magical thinking')

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I know I've made a few posts like this, but I'm going to indulge myself once more. I like to write stuff to get it out and in this case feedback helps. I also need to be honest, which I'd like to hope I'm good at.

It's been six months since the tornado now since I became a Kemetic Pagan and it's not been easy at all. When I became a Noachide, it was because I'd already taken on those beliefs and covertly basically had for quite some time.

I had a, no pun intended at all, near suicidal faith in HaShem as a Noachide. I had no doubt whatsoever, apart from natural things that creep in now and then usually due to my own issues, that He existed and that He cared. It's impossible for me to say I didn't feel looked after or loved by HaShem. Almost every day I talked to Him about anything and everything, totally confident He was listening and responding. I had, in my mind, every reason to believe this.

One day I'd gone out looking for a Menorah or Hanukkiah (I didn't know the difference then), and it is 100% futile where I live. There are no Jews, no Jewish shops, and I wasn't even a Noachide at the time, but what do you know folks - I find one in a shop, missing it's shamash but that's fine, and buy it. I hadn't seen one before and not since. I was at an outdoor market once and asked at a jewellery stand for a Star of David necklace and they said no luck, no surprise where I live, but at the next jewellery stand - ha! I called it the one HaShem gave me. I was sat reading in my sun-room and there were bikers outside making a lot of noise for a lot of time and eventually I asked HaShem to shut them up. They didn't stop, but went incredibly quiet. Quiet enough I could read.

Before this I begged HaShem, as I had no internet at the time, to send me a Jewish person to help me understand Tanakh, because I didn't find the Christian explanations or my own readings sufficient - well then, mom kicked me out and I returned to RF and met Tumah, who provided perfect explanations for things that had been prodding my brain. I think Tumah found the notion that he was God-sent amusing, but I loved him dearly for this reason. He'd made lots of things fall into place in a way I could understand from a lay-person perspective and was someone I could interact with. This isn't to disparage other Jewish users, I just recall they were not very active at the time and I was looking for a particular viewpoint at this point.

Even before this, I would be forced to bike to town every week to sign on for my welfare and I had no bike lock, so I just left it outside the library unattended when I went to sign on or do my volunteer work, confident God would never let the bike be stolen. It wasn't ever stolen.

I recall coming home from France and I met this woman called Emma who had some family with her and wasn't sure whether she'd had a taxi booked because she thought her brother had booked one remotely on her behalf. Sure enough we found a large enough taxi waiting outside for us (she allowed me to ride with them) and the taxi driver said the cab was for Emma. She thanked her brother over the phone but her brother said he hadn't booked any taxi.

I remember my nana bought me an angel hanging ornament and one day its arms had randomly broken off and I haven't found them to this day. I shrugged it off, certain it was jsut HaShem breaking the figure to prevent it from being some kind of idol, especially as her hands were clasped in the Christian prayer gesture. This breakage didn't bother me in the slightest.

There was no more intense prayer than prayer to HaShem. Others will recall how I never connected to any other God and always went back to HaShem.

I can never say I felt abandoned. I think it's crystal clear Someone is watching.

In any case, faith in HaShem or no, the plain truth is there is no religion out there that is not avodah zarah that's for non-Jews (Noachidism is not a religion, as said by many Bnei Noach and Jews alike - they proclaim their religion to be Judaism, their covenant merely different). The God of Israel didn't give us one, and that dents my faith. He tells us what He doesn't want us doing but gives no alternative, because we clearly want more from our belief system than what the Noachide Covenant gives us and we're told we can't add to it to make a religion out of it, which is exactly what we want to do.

On the individual level, I felt incredibly looked after; on a national level, not so much.

But so far, this is the one place where HaShem appears to have been silent and will remain so.

Occasionally I wonder what I've done. At other times I don't care. If He wants to take it up with me afterwards, He can. I'll try not to fight.

:yellowheart:

I'm sorry for your struggles. :(

Are you planning to continue identifying as Kemetic, or are you going back to identifying as Noahide? Or both?

Laika

Premium Member

I have never been fortunate enough to have this kind of conviction. Maybe the closest I ever got was a sense of some vague historical destiny to go on to go "greater things". But by far the most emotionally taxing part of my atheism is feeling is existential isolation and helplessness that comes from believing that there is no god and that unless you have the power to resist it, evil can win.

We are human and even if a God can know everything, we can't. There is nothing to be ashamed of in those limitations and in the uncertainty that comes with them. Drawing perhaps on some ideas like "Omnism", maybe it isn't so much a question of it you call the God by the right name or have the right rituals, but that there is something common between the two beliefs that acted as the door you took between them. That way it would be true regardless of what label you used to describe what those beliefs are.

God is always going to be a stranger to us to some extent and even the people we may spend a life time with will have hidden depths we don't know, whether they decide to share it or not. If it is a relationship, perhaps it is more important to get to know them and be closer to them than to get everything right. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
(I'm aware to some people this is just 'magical thinking')

Not to me. Not to me in the slightest. I've had times when I've had the sense to try to do the impossible and I found door after door after door opening and then I realized it was intuition, the Divine, that gave me the sense to try doors that would open for me.

In any case, faith in HaShem or no, the plain truth is there is no religion out there that is not avodah zarah that's for non-Jews ... we're told we can't add to it to make a religion out of it, which is exactly what we want to do.

The word 'religion' can mean different things: a belief system, rituals, community of like minded people and so forth.

From what you've written, what you are looking for is more than a belief system. Dare I guess that you want a "home"?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Dare I guess that you want a "home"?
A religion the likes of any of the Abrahamic faiths that I can become a fundamentalist in, live in a religious bubble and spend the rest of my days in a religious ecstasy :relaxed:

Rituals, scripture study, house of worship, diet restrictions, dress codes, the lot. The sense of belonging. The shared vocab. The in jokes.

It's pretty much all I've ever cared about or wanted most of my life.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I like your testimony. Sounds like you have thermonuclear spirituality! ;)

How do you know Hashem has not established a covenant with you where he has sanctified Egyptian Divinities or assigned good spirits to have the office and vocation of those spirits for you?

Amun-Ra and his Eye , Osiris, and Horus, may be cherished works of Hashem with an important end-time mission and alliance with God.

He knows you have needs. I hope and pray he understands them and gives you the perfect path to meet those needs.

It takes courage to be Kemetic, and I pray your faith be unshaken and strong. You will have people threatening eternal damnation perhaps, because I have had that.

That isn't the God I know.

Hashem wants you to be happy and will make sure the Divinities you love will take good care of you, or he will fire them and hire new ones for his daughter. I don't like the Bible, but Hashem wants you happy and is not bound by or limited to Scripture.

:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A religion the likes of any of the Abrahamic faiths that I can become a fundamentalist in, live in a religious bubble and spend the rest of my days in a religious ecstasy :relaxed:

Rituals, scripture study, house of worship, diet restrictions, dress codes, the lot. The sense of belonging. The shared vocab. The in jokes.

I wanted something like this in my life at one point. I really wanted to join a monastery. Just didn't know how to go about it.

The Hare Krishna would have taken me in. Just didn't like the idea of pushing books at the airport which is what I mostly knew about them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to say it was consistent with my experience of the world. My experience is that answers to prayer have always been done in such a way that they could be denied, could be seen as coincidence or accident. Some of them have been quite impressive; yet there was always a way to doubt that they were answers to prayer. That is not the experience some people tell me about. Some people tell stories of miracle after miracle. They make me question my own experiences.

I am not sure that people all live in the same world. Maybe we each live in individual worlds which overlap partly. This idea is just a brain fart not what I always think, but it helps me not to judge or deny other people's experiences. Sometimes I just can't connect what other people's experiences are with my own. Overlapping individual worlds seems like as good an explanation as another.

I had no doubt whatsoever, apart from natural things that creep in now and then usually due to my own issues, that He existed and that He cared. It's impossible for me to say I didn't feel looked after or loved by HaShem. Almost every day I talked to Him about anything and everything, totally confident He was listening and responding. I had, in my mind, every reason to believe this.
I compare that to things other people have said. I have heard something like this from Krishna devotees and Christians. This has never been my personal experience. Maybe I have an anti-magic field around me. Either that or I'm so darn magical that I have to suppress all the magic. That's my theory about Muggles, too, in the Harry Potter series. They're actually too magical rather than un-magical. Eat your heart out, R.K. Rowling!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's good being able to write this and have it out. You folks have been so patient with me. I just need to accept it's not happening and move on, I guess. It's hard. I am still incredibly depressed and thinking about "it".

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

What you said kind of puts me to shame because I have all that right at my doorstep and I don't even do anything with it. Religion has never been my thing, I was always more interested in psychology, but I definitely believe in God and I believe the Baha'i Faith is the latest religion from God so I am a Baha'i, FWIW. Maybe someday I will be more of a participant.

I have some funny Baha'i jokes about heaven if you want to hear them.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's been six months since the tornado now since I became a Kemetic Pagan and it's not been easy at all.

Interesting. In my case, it has been six months since I have counted myself a Hindu. Before that, I was a Kemetic for a couple of months. What has not been easy for me is choosing a branch and/or philosophy of Hinduism to follow. You and I are in slightly similar boats in the same river.

So some might even quite rightly call me reckless.

How long did you do volunteer work at the library? I did 18 months of volunteering at my local library. It was a rewarding and helpful experience.

I can be a bit reckless myself.

In the past, there were supplications that I made outside of a Christian context to the god of Abraham that were answered in amazing ways. Later, when I was a Christian, I noticed that supplications were hardly ever answered the way that I desired. That and some other things led me to think that the god of Israel came to reject and dislike me for whatever reason.

I remember my nana bought me an angel hanging ornament and one day its arms had randomly broken off and I haven't found them to this day.

When I was in elementary/primary school, I had a hanging angel ornament that was attached to a ceiling fan chain in my bedroom. The angel held up a dove in her hands. Something on the ornament later broke off by itself. It might have been the arms.

In any case, faith in HaShem or no, the plain truth is there is no religion out there that is not avodah zarah that's for non-Jews (Noachidism is not a religion, as said by many Bnei Noach and Jews alike - they proclaim their religion to be Judaism, their covenant merely different). The God of Israel didn't give us one, and that dents my faith.

I remember you mentioned in a previous journal entry that 'religion' is more of a Christian thing whereas Jews have a covenant. If HaShem only gave covenants instead of religions to people, namely, the Israelites' covenant and the Noahides' covenant, then perhaps what you really want is not actually a religion but the covenant of the former people?

My intuition tells me that you should definitely not fight it.

I have fellow feeling for you. Please remember.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
then perhaps what you really want is not actually a religion but the covenant of the former people?
Not even that as this wouldn't make the problem of HaShem not giving non-Jews a more fleshed out system go away.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. In my case, it has been six months since I have counted myself a Hindu. What has not been easy for me is choosing a branch and/or philosophy of Hinduism to follow. You and I are in slightly similar boats in the same river.
It's because I felt forced to choose another path due to my previous one not being a religion and also making me isolated. So I made the change to stop an impending suicide. I'm still bitter.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

It's good being able to write this and have it out. You folks have been so patient with me. I just need to accept it's not happening and move on, I guess. It's hard. I am still incredibly depressed and thinking about "it".

Not even that as this wouldn't make the problem of HaShem not giving non-Jews a more fleshed out system go away.

You have been in my thoughts. Your comments about Judaism are from an Orthodox perspective. Conservative Judaism does all conversion for sincere people who undertake a course of study etc. This is of course controversial in Judaism but there is a path open if you are interested.

But in today's world, living in a religious "bubble" is impossible. It is possible to see the world through a religious lens.

Personally I've found Kaballah is in many respects a wonderful perspective on life. And I find many of the sages writings are familiar to me from my studies in other areas. Conservative Jews can study Kaballah Chapter 15 American Conservative Judaism and Kabbalah in: Kabbalah in America

But, ah, "religious ecstasy". What can I write about it.... In India there are those who can be called God intoxicated to whom Divinity is real and the world meaningless. They may exist in a state called "hal" in Islamic Sufism and bhav. in Vedanta- ecstasy. Rumi has written ecstatically Little Reviews: Poem for Saturday

What can I write about ecstasy? I have had moments when the chains of self seem to burst and I feel wonderful freedom... for a time.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I think I see what you mean. It is obviously unfair from your perspective that HaShem did not give non-Jews something like Judaism.

It's because I felt forced to choose another path due to my previous one not being a religion and also making me isolated. So I made the change to stop an impending suicide. I'm still bitter.

I am happy that you successfully stopped it from being carried out. I feel that you are a very special young woman and I would cry if you were to end it. Knowing what I do about your perspective, I understand why you feel bitter.

When I was 19 or 20, I developed an interest in Judaism, which led to discovering the Noahide path online and following it for a while. Seeing what Orthodox Jews had, and the beauty of it, I felt left out. At the time, I had an Orthodox Jewish friend of Yemeni origin who told me that he wished he could be a Noahide because the path is obviously so much easier. As well, I met a French Jew and her Noahide husband once. As we had supper at IHOP with some Jewish strangers, I noticed that the Noahide was so... content with his path. He even explained Noahidism to a waitress, and the tone he had when explaining it revealed how confident and happy he felt with the Noahide path. Today, as an outsider, the Noahide path from my viewpoint is distinguished and elegant compared to the covenant that Jews have. No offense is meant at all to members of that covenant.

I hope everything works out well for you. :glomp:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
As well, I met a French Jew and her Noahide husband once.
This is illegal according to Halacha, so not sure this was looked upon particularly favourably by Orthodox Jews lol.

I can see why Christianity took off now. It would still be so much easier if I could have believed it, but I can't. Not now.

And if HaShem wants to stay silent then Kemeticism it is.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some books I ordered came. Maybe they will cheer me up :)

20210923_151901.jpg