• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rituals Ease Anxiety

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Life-Hack: Research Shows Rituals Spell Anxiety Relief

Researchers at the University of Conneticut, have recently demonstrated that ritual that we perform on a regular basis, allow us to cope with anxiety and stress. This is something that religious persons have known for a long time, hence the incorporation of ritual into a variety of spiritual practices. This time of the Covid pandemic is as good a time as any to re-analyze our own ritual behaviour, to determine what is an is not working for us.

What rituals have you kept up or started to help during these stressful times?

I have started meditating nearly daily again, while also making a decisive and renewed focus on celebrating the 8 Pagan High Days. I've cleaned up and rearranged my Altar to reflect these renewed dedications. I have also begun a daily devotional of lighting a candle at the end of the day, while focusing on giving thanks for something that happened in the previous 24 hours. I then carry this candle as I lock my doors and windows for the evening, before asking Freya to protect our hearth and home.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's a good reminder with our normal routines disrupted. Especially if you can center them around some form of devotion, or commitment to a positive, like health, wellbeing, healing, compassion, etc.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I need to get back to my meditation. I work at a treatment center that has deprivation tanks and used those a lot for my meditation but have only a couple times since Covid since I clean it myself after use.
Stretching routines and meeting at least 10k steps per day helps me too.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who have practiced ritual regularly didn't need a research study to tell us about it's benefits. :D

Some time last year, I rebooted a tradition I had started in my early Pagan days - moonthly chats with Moon Spirit. I used them as a time to reflect upon the past moonth and the possibilities of the future, as well as contemplate the wisdom Moon Spirit has to offer. We had our last chat yesterday, and although I was a bit less formal than usual - no incense this time - it was a nice check-in.

amorphous_constellation

I've lately kind of fell away from my meditation practice, I think because I've convinced myself that I'm doing it wrong..

In any case, tonight I'm in a nature spot, staring up at the sky near a wind power generator.. just trying to think of nothing, made lazy by the heat.. I suppose it has a very nominal ritualistic feeling to it

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Years back I'd probably agree with you, but where I am at now the mechanical bit of the ritual isn't significant to me.

But, finding peace is a life goal and you must work at it like anything else. Fear or anxiety are the product of either being attached to results or being dishonest with yourself to some extent or worrying. They can be completely eliminated from your life if you do the right thing at the time, and do not get attached to the results. Resolve that, and you will have an easier time. I try to keep my mental state as a tranquil lake... The water is unmoved by anything and even when it may move from something being thrown in, it'll gradually restore itself. It's just a fleeting temporary ripple.

So, I guess if the ritual has to be something for me, it's in the practice of staying centered. But, it's nothing I outwardly do.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who have practiced ritual regularly didn't need a research study to tell us about it's benefits. :D
Maybe not, but it's a handy reminder for some of us non-believers to find ways to release our minds. Speaking completely for myself here, but some of my stress-relieving 'rituals' are built around particular sports I play, coach and watch (my kids train and play).
Whilst not being able to watch professionals run around bouncing a ball has a small impact on my leisure time, me not participating in regular, scheduled activity impacts on more than 'just' physical fitness.

My wife hasn't quite figured out why I've taken to hand washing dishes daily (I still use a dishwasher, but am dealing with the small amount of stuff we don't put in there after dinner every night). I'm a pretty unstructured person, but working from home constantly, and not having outlets for stress and anxiety is impacting (even if it's not to a level anyone else has noticed at this point).

So, finishing work, then cooking, then eating, then cleaning up in a fairly sequential fashion has kinda taken the place of a drive time commute listening to podcasts in terms of drawing hard lines between work and non-work.

Some time last year, I rebooted a tradition I had started in my early Pagan days - moonthly chats with Moon Spirit. I used them as a time to reflect upon the past moonth and the possibilities of the future, as well as contemplate the wisdom Moon Spirit has to offer. We had our last chat yesterday, and although I was a bit less formal than usual - no incense this time - it was a nice check-in.

I'm not suggesting anything about other people's practises and rituals beyond my simplistic take on such things. But putting energy and mindfulness into something on a regular basis like this offers great structure and release I believe.

Bear Wild

It is true you do not need research to tell us about the benefits but it is still interesting reading the evidence. The chapter on "Altered States of Consciousness as paradoxically healing: an embodied social neuroscience perspective" which should be available through the following wed address . It was published in 2011 but is still interesting.

(PDF) Altered States of Consciousness (ASC) as Paradoxically Healing

Even if we do not need studies to accept what benefits us there is still insight to be gained in learning how our brain does it. Given the advances is understanding on how our brain works we begin to see how the dream states and altered states of consciousness help and there is interesting research on ritual activates and the benefit neurologically to health. It is no wonder that human societies consistently develop the rituals of religion. For me rituals reconnect what is important to remember and when possible in this covid world connect with others.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
Like others it seems, the pause has caused me to make my meditation practice daily again, rather than occasional. I've done a minor furniture rearrangement so that I am in a more conducive place for the practice.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
I need to get back to my meditation. I work at a treatment center that has deprivation tanks and used those a lot for my meditation but have only a couple times since Covid since I clean it myself after use.
Stretching routines and meeting at least 10k steps per day helps me too.
Curious: what is the treatment that there are deprivation tanks?

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I have started meditating nearly daily again, while also making a decisive and renewed focus on celebrating the 8 Pagan High Days. I've cleaned up and rearranged my Altar to reflect these renewed dedications. I have also begun a daily devotional of lighting a candle at the end of the day, while focusing on giving thanks for something that happened in the previous 24 hours. I then carry this candle as I lock my doors and windows for the evening, before asking Freya to protect our hearth and home.
This makes perfectly sense to me as everything is connected to the daily and annual rhythms of the Earth and it´s influences on the ability to make an optimized immune system via natural food and a balanced situation between stress and rest.

"Hail Freya" - and the rest of the divine forces :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Curious: what is the treatment that there are deprivation tanks?
They're considered therapy pools. Hundreds of lbs of Epsom salt in body neutral temp water in a closable pod which is dark and sound proof. Great for meditation, getting some rest, getting a good magnesium dose loosening muscles before pt or easing off soreness after pt.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
They're considered therapy pools. Hundreds of lbs of Epsom salt in body neutral temp water in a closable pod which is dark and sound proof. Great for meditation, getting some rest, getting a good magnesium dose loosening muscles before pt or easing off soreness after pt.
Therapy for? ..

Which country is this, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not aware that such tanks are used in the UK.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Therapy for? ..

Which country is this, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not aware that such tanks are used in the UK.
US. For me as a PT it's usually used for therapy related to muscle and joint chronic pain and post injury inflammation reduction and pain management. But it's used for other stuff too.
Sensory Deprivation Tank: Effects and Health Benefits

For me personal the benefits are muscle relaxation and psychological improvements.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
US. For me as a PT it's usually used for therapy related to muscle and joint chronic pain and post injury inflammation reduction and pain management. But it's used for other stuff too.
Sensory Deprivation Tank: Effects and Health Benefits

For me personal the benefits are muscle relaxation and psychological improvements.

I've used the sensory deprivation float tanks as well, they can be quite peaceful and relaxing. The only drawback IMO is that you only get an hour at a time, if your paying for it (I used a business that provides float services). I'd love to sit in one for longer than that.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've used the sensory deprivation float tanks as well, they can be quite peaceful and relaxing. The only drawback IMO is that you only get an hour at a time, if your paying for it (I used a business that provides float services). I'd love to sit in one for longer than that.
Ours are 90 minute sessions. :D
However insurances rarely pay for longer than an hour but people usually split the difference.
Tbh even 90 minutes seems too short