• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ritual trappings

Onyx

Premium Member
I thought it might be interesting to share ideas for items, pictures, sounds, etc that might be used in ritual, or even simply to invoke a certain mood or aesthetic.

I don't suggest sharing specific meanings or details of actual rituals, as these probably wouldn't apply to anyone else anyway. Use your own discretion though.

One of my favorite recent acquisitions is a large, plain silver goblet. If you hold the base and strike the side, it makes an understated, but beautiful gong-like tone. So this has become my "bell" also.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
I thought it might be interesting to share ideas for items, pictures, sounds, etc that might be used in ritual, or even simply to invoke a certain mood or aesthetic.

I prefer to use my head for visualization when doing a ritual and having my own habits before I start. For example, when I would add my electric candles I would visualize my body wearing a red or blue garment, I may at times visualize red burning candles or red electrical candles at times. I tend to also enjoy visualizing the Pentagram of Set and perhaps a flag next to it symbolizing separation. With me I more or less cannot control my own mind, I've always tended to live in my subjective thoughts than living towards ones objective thoughts. With me, I more or less have my own knowledge within my own practices of Rituals and Magick independently. I originally tended to have the habits of following steps within a ritual such as steps in Greater Magic LaVeys system. However I am trying to not follow as many steps but to improvise and work independently. Magick is perhaps an art which many of us may understand, no matter whether it is labeled black or white or if their is a difference of belief on the path anyone is on. For me Magick can be an art of change or communication and perhaps getting to know bits of the things that you experience within. I have lately come to the conclusion that Magick can work unconsciously within the human system. I personally cannot realize if Magick works or not, but at times I have felt that it can work at times when you feel that it can. What I have perhaps may have mentioned is that for me when I choose a different system of Magick, I tend to stick with the system and the path itself. Magick is perhaps knowledge on which a person may seek by studying and applying parts of it to basic practice, but the Left Hand Path and Magick in general is perhaps a system you seek and stay with. I have always tended to have the curiosity of seeking more knowledge on the Path that I am on, but the more you start going deeper and deeper, you start to realize that you have gained enough of the knowledge to apply within it.

VioletVortex

I think rituals are best done in the darkness with a proper altar.

Music can help create the proper atmosphere to cultivate emotional desires. For ritual purposes, I like black metal and dark ambient. A YouTube user by the name of Styxhexenhammer666 has a Satanic dark ambient project called Hexenhammer. He makes music with the intent of it being used as ritual music.

I incorporate many Pagan elements into my beliefs as well, so I like the idea of using natural subjects such as plants and stones in rituals. The idea of performing a ritual in a forest is even better.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I really would like to get a purple orb on a black stand like the one's you posted elsewhere, and use it as the sole light source for ritual. I mainly do ritual in my head, but at a mental version of my real physical altar.

Premium Member
I like walking through the forrest it is like walking through the working.... the rest is in my Imagination.
The only Symbol i may wear is the my Set Pentagramm....

I wear a Was Scepter myself.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
My current altar with certain ritual implements; Pentagram of Set, Anubian candle holders, silver chalice/Graal, there is also other statuary not seen in this pic such as a winged Ma'at.

full

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
This was from a closure working from the lower triad of the qliphoth, where I did trataka meditation on a seal of Lilith made from almond paste on some coarsely ground coffee. I used my phurba (to the left of the coffee seal) to then "pin down" Lilith so I could devour her symbolically, and used my caduceus atheme (representing Samael) to stir up the water in the jar and added the coffee grounds to it so the "ravens of dispersion" could extract the poison, which I let seep for a day, strained out the coffee grounds, and drank it over the next couple of days. (I must say, it was the best damned cold-brew coffee I've ever tasted.)
777 lower triad crop.jpg

Premium Member
R4B4yJe.jpg

That black headed Set is now a golden Horus, and the Thoth statue is elsewhere.

I liked this one too:
s8LXyJo.jpg

Under that mask in both pics is a pyramid BTW.

Premium Member
My current altar with certain ritual implements; Pentagram of Set, Anubian candle holders, silver chalice/Graal, there is also other statuary not seen in this pic such as a winged Ma'at.

full

What is that background picture on the left?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
What is that background picture on the left?

Oh that, I've since removed it from the wall, its a nature scene painting by one of my relatives.

The Anubian candle holders are symbolic of Anubis as the guardian of the gate of Darkness and the opener of the way, and the pentagram as a center of focus and a gateway linking my mind with the Mind of Set.

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
I really would like to get a purple orb on a black stand like the one's you posted elsewhere, and use it as the sole light source for ritual. I mainly do ritual in my head, but at a mental version of my real physical altar.
It appeals to me as visually-oriented person. It also makes a very faint sound that gives it presence. My particular one is an 8" "electrostorm", which is pretty old but sometimes they come up on ebay etc.

Onyx

Premium Member
The pentagram looks really clean, I'm assuming you made that yourself? Also, I like your placement of these things around the keyboard.

Onyx

Premium Member
I like walking through the forrest it is like walking through the working.... the rest is in my Imagination.
The only Symbol i may wear is the my Set Pentagramm....
I walk in the woods often, and have experienced greater imagination in that setting. Food for thought, thank you.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The pentagram looks really clean, I'm assuming you made that yourself? Also, I like your placement of these things around the keyboard.

Thanks. The pentagram I made from black poster board, masking tape, and a silver marker. In the Pentagram of Set the inverse pentagram (representative of Black Magick and the Powers of Darkness) does not touch the encompassing circle, symbolizing that the Essence of Set is separate and distinct from the Order of the Cosmos.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Am I the only one who redoes their altar, like, a lot? I probably have several altars a year, from minor changes to the more common complete overhauls. Maybe because I rarely actually use it and just see it and visualize it, so it begins to become too second nature, too much Horus and not enough Set?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
No 1137 your not the only one. I do it on occasion, such as a while back in addition to adding a winged scarab and two black rams of Amon on the left side of my altar, I also added a small Sekhmet statue and a dragon/Leviathanian incense burner on the right.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As incense goes, during indoor ritual workings I usually use dragon's blood or one called 'opium'. I like to utilize all five physical senses during ritual workings, sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Am I the only one who redoes their altar, like, a lot? I probably have several altars a year, from minor changes to the more common complete overhauls. Maybe because I rarely actually use it and just see it and visualize it, so it begins to become too second nature, too much Horus and not enough Set?
I rebuild mine each time to suit the ritual I'm doing. It is never the same.