• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rioter Who Threw Fire Extinguisher at Police Arrested

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A good heist plan would have taken that into account.
They didn't get there quick enough apparently. A female was astute enough to realise they might be a target - can't remember who it was though, but I read about it some news article.

Wandering Monk

Good guess. We might know someday, maybe sooner than we expect. But it would be surreal if the ballots were not on their list. It's clear that a few individuals declared their intention to kill Pelosi, Pence, or others. But I have seen no evidence yet they were part of an organized group with such an objective on 1/6.

So far, the most concerning report I myself have heard about the planned objectives of any of the insurrectionists comes from a staff member who claims to have witnessed a group bypass the route to Jim Clyburn's public office without any pause or hesitation, and instead take the route that leads to Jim Clyburn's secret office. Whatever happened, it's a fact his secret office was somehow 'discovered', entered, and trashed. Clyburn is the third ranking Democrat in the House, and his secret office is said to be off the beaten path. Not somewhere you'd be likely to end up unless you knew its location.

There was a CNN? video I watched of the attack on capitol. There was a segment that show a line of men in combat gear, one on shoulder of guy in front of him winding their way up the Capitol steps through the crowd. They all had the same gear as the retired Air Force colonel arrested this weak. FBI said they believed these men were from Oath Keepers.

Audie

Veteran Member
Tinge of right-wing bias shining through here too (Your previous remarks). :oops:

Right wing biss...
I would agree with, vote for if I were
American, some " right wing' issues.

Some, probably more, left wing.

If I did not disagree with loopy
leftists here, I'd have to be as
deranged as they, and nobody to
argue with.

Or no, there's comparably extremist,
righties, I could continue to disgree
with them.

Audie

Veteran Member
Same thing they did the first time. Protest - the vast majority peacefully.

Was there a previous inauguration with
marauders in matching outfits burning cars,
smashing windows etc?

I don't know.

Considering how the thermostat has
been turned up during the past four years,
I am inclined to think it would have been
far more extensive.
FORTUNATELY we don't get to find out.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Was there a previous inauguration with
marauders in matching outfits burning cars,
smashing windows etc?

I don't know.

Considering how the thermostat has
been turned up during the past four years,
I am inclined to think it would have been
far more extensive.
FORTUNATELY we don't get to find out.

Turns out when you kick off your campaign by stereotyping Mexicans as criminals, promise to ban all Muslims from entering the country, then promote violence at your rallies against protestors, constantly wink-wink-nod-nod to white supremacists, etc., yeah, that turns the thermostat up.

I agree, I'm thankful we no longer have to find out what else happens with him in office. :thumbsup:

Audie

Veteran Member
Turns out when you kick off your campaign by stereotyping Mexicans as criminals, promise to ban all Muslims from entering the country, then promote violence at your rallies against protestors, constantly wink-wink-nod-nod to white supremacists, etc., yeah, that turns the thermostat up.

I agree, I'm thankful we no longer have to find out what else happens with him in office. :thumbsup:

As an immigrant to the US at the time,
I was not happy with any anti immigrant
talk, and under t, immigration is way down

As for the stereotyping of Mexicans, I did
not read it as you did.
There is a huge element of criminal
activity along the border. I rode for miles
In border country with an attorney friend,
who got a call with yet another case to
represent, as we were driving. Drug smuggler,
most of them forced to carry the drugs.

I learned a lot about how bad it is.

My take was that with trumps usual lack of precision, to put it mildly, he could be taken
as saying "they all" are bad actors.

Denying that there is a huge criminal
problem on the southern border that
simply has not been addressed in any effective
way is as unrealistic as to say all Mexicans are rapists.

The Muslim ban was about entry from
any country noted as a source of terrorists
until some system-that sure failed 911-
was in place.

What seems to these eyes so unfortunate
is that ideas like these, sensible and necessary
at their core, had the terrible trump as their
spokesman. Who wouldn't oppose anything
he touched? (See " don't trust Trump vaccine"!)

As for heating up, "now the impeachment
begins" and riots etc were a left wing thing.
Right from before day one.

Trump the counterpuncher punched back,
and added endless provocations.

But regardless. You agree its a lot hotter now
than in 2016.
I figure the riots would have been huge.

What a relief that he lost.

Thanks to all who voted against him.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Right wing biss...
I would agree with, vote for if I were
American, some " right wing' issues.

Some, probably more, left wing.

If I did not disagree with loopy
leftists here, I'd have to be as
deranged as they, and nobody to
argue with.

Or no, there's comparably extremist,
righties, I could continue to disgree
with them.
Which loopy left-wing views seem the most abhorrent to you?

Audie

Veteran Member
Which loopy left-wing views seem the most abhorrent to you?

I would not put it that way, abhorrent.

Far left economic ideas are, I think, foolish and dangerous.
Some are just stupid, like "they" instead of he or she.
Right wing evangelist stuff is among the worst of all.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
As an immigrant to the US at the time,
I was not happy with any anti immigrant
talk, and under t, immigration is way down

As for the stereotyping of Mexicans, I did
not read it as you did.
There is a huge element of criminal
activity along the border. I rode for miles
In border country with an attorney friend,
who got a call with yet another case to
represent, as we were driving. Drug smuggler,
most of them forced to carry the drugs.

I learned a lot about how bad it is.

My take was that with trumps usual lack of precision, to put it mildly, he could be taken
as saying "they all" are bad actors.

Denying that there is a huge criminal
problem on the southern border that
simply has not been addressed in any effective
way is as unrealistic as to say all Mexicans are rapists.

No one serious - certainly no Dem politician I'm aware of, including Biden - claims there are no problems at the border. Drug running is quite a real issue. Refugees fleeing from Central American cartels and rampant violence is also a real issue. As usual, Trump's way of approaching it was by winking to racists with an ugly stereotype. Thus, reasonable people understandably responded to his gross rhetoric with...WHAT THE ****.

The Muslim ban was about entry from
any country noted as a source of terrorists
until some system-that sure failed 911-
was in place.

Except that isn't what he said. He promised a complete ban on Muslims entering the country - a beautiful piece of red meat for the far-right, who view Islam as fundamentally incompatible with "The West."

It's been 20 years since 911. We have vastly tighter security, even before Trump, than we did pre-911.

What seems to these eyes so unfortunate
is that ideas like these, sensible and necessary
at their core, had the terrible time as their
spokesman.

As for heating up, " now the impeachment
begins" and riots were a left wing thing.

As has been debated and demonstrated ad nauseum around here for months, the vast majority of anti-Trump protests have been peaceful.

Thanks to all who voted against him.

Would you have...? Who would you have voted for?

Audie

Veteran Member
No one serious - certainly no Dem politician I'm aware of, including Biden - claims there are no problems at the border. Drug running is quite a real issue. Refugees fleeing from Central American cartels and rampant violence is also a real issue. As usual, Trump's way of approaching it was by winking to racists with an ugly stereotype. Thus, reasonable people understandably responded to his gross rhetoric with...WHAT THE ****.

Except that isn't what he said. He promised a complete ban on Muslims entering the country - a beautiful piece of red meat for the far-right, who view Islam as fundamentally incompatible with "The West."

It's been 20 years since 911. We have vastly tighter security, even before Trump, than we did pre-911.

As has been debated and demonstrated ad nauseum around here for months, the vast majority of anti-Trump protests have been peaceful.

Would you have...? Who would you have voted for?

Personally, I didn't see Trump as racist.
I'm far from alone among "poc" in that,
but never mind.

Those who are racist no doubt saw what they wanted
to see in Trump, and his opponents saw as they chose.

ANYWAY, to the 99% of what you say, I feel
the disappointment of nothing left to argue about.

I'd have held my nose for Hillary, and Biden.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I would not put it that way, abhorrent.

Far left economic ideas are, I think, foolish and dangerous.
Some are just stupid, like "they" instead of he or she.
Right wing evangelist stuff is among the worst of all.
Some quite reasonable and bright economists seem to have concluded that Capitalism, as is, is just not viable for the future, especially when it tends to work against any efforts to combat the damage to the planet that we all, perhaps inadvertently, are doing. That for me is why the leftist views should be taken seriously, in that we have to change from the all-consuming mentality that seems to be the basis of such. Unfortunately we have a lead nation geared to oppose anything like left-wing thinking, even if many other countries see the problems ahead.

Audie

Veteran Member
Some quite reasonable and bright economists seem to have concluded that Capitalism, as is, is just not viable for the future, especially when it tends to work against any efforts to combat the damage to the planet that we all, perhaps inadvertently, are doing. That for me is why the leftist views should be taken seriously, in that we have to change from the all-consuming mentality that seems to be the basis of such. Unfortunately we have a lead nation geared to oppose anything like left-wing thinking, even if many other countries see the problems ahead.

Capitalism as is?
Not viable?

Prease exprain.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Capitalism as is?
Not viable?

Prease exprain.
Don't expect me to explain (see later) - apart from the economic crashes that might wipe out ten years of stability, or the enormous wealth inequalities that seem to promote feelings of unfairness (and tendencies towards crime), and the notion that growth seems to be all that matters (despite what it will do to the planet), and how it seems to also promote corruption in politics (money being thrown at it - see the USA recently) - I hate politics and economics, so just pick up what I notice in the news and over time, but as I stated, some seem to know better than I to foresee changes or we will be in real trouble. Maybe it just needs better controls, but there doesn't seem to be much impetus towards such. I'm sure this says much that many who criticise modern Capitalism would agree with.

Monthly Review | Capitalism Has Failed—What Next?

Someone with more interest and knowledge might want to discuss this but have neither. :oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't expect me to explain (see later) - apart from the economic crashes that might wipe out ten years of stability, or the enormous wealth inequalities that seem to promote feelings of unfairness (and tendencies towards crime), and the notion that growth seems to be all that matters (despite what it will do to the planet), and how it seems to also promote corruption in politics (money being thrown at it - see the USA recently) - I hate politics and economics, so just pick up what I notice in the news and over time, but as I stated, some seem to know better than I to foresee changes or we will be in real trouble. Maybe it just needs better controls, but there doesn't seem to be much impetus towards such. I'm sure this says much that many who criticise modern Capitalism would agree with.

Someone with more interest and knowledge might want to discuss this but have neither. :oops:
Capitalism says its death notice is premature.
It doesn't see a competitor anywhere.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That is sadly true. We are stuck with a dysfunctional system.
And people are still too comfortable in it to start try something else. (And every attempt would be attacked by the capitalists, so it would be really hard to try.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Um. Everything is based on Capitalism.

So what's the alternative?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is sadly true. We are stuck with a dysfunctional system.
And people are still too comfortable in it to start try something else. (And every attempt would be attacked by the capitalists, so it would be really hard to try.)
How many goats does it take to barter for an Xbox?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Um. Everything is based on Capitalism.

So what's the alternative?
Not my subject of interest to answer this, but presumably something a bit more controlled so as to benefit the majority rather than those who seem to make money from virtually any circumstance or get into power so as to effect such. I suspect if people had more of a stake in what they produced then we might have less conflict, and also, that we took the life-cycle of products into account when selling them - as to how the cost of recycling and such was more integrated than just being an add-on, and given some thought after we have created a mess. But humans don't seem to have arrived at such understanding yet. So an economic system that didn't build up debt for future generations to deal with and at the same time one that made life fairer for all - if we actually wanted such a society. It may not be possible to achieve but the dangers of carrying on as we are is quite evident.

Just look at Elon Musk with two of his ventures - aiming for a Mars colony and at the same time putting into space thousands of satellites (for communications purposes). The latter are adding to the problems of space debris likely increasing and which would make the launching of space vehicles more dangerous. Like virtually all items we have sent into space, there is nothing allowed for recycling such when they end their useful lives or cease to function, or when they go wrong and collide with other space objects. The same approach as we tend to use on Earth - the problem is for someone else or for the future. That is one reason why Capitalism, for me, is not working, in that profit is driving all such, even when we can see the problems are there but just passed on or ignored.

Perhaps this is just down to politics or a failure to agree international standards, but it seems to be that Capitalism, as is, tends to promote what we currently see - not so much thought as to the overall impact of our ever-consuming lifestyles. Hence the pollution and lack of recycling, as long as people get all the toys they desire.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Probably true, but some of those who know better than I seem to think it does need changing in some manner to make it less damaging for the planet. Not sure which is worse - population growth or our expectations as to how we would like to live. We all cannot live like most in the USA can (a nation with probably the highest consumption), and at the same time we cannot have such disparities in lifestyles without it producing the conflicts that often comes from such. So surely something has to change.