• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Righteous Indignation is an excuse

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No seriously, can anyone really argue that righteous indignation is anything more than anger? The only time I ever hear the term used is when someone is trying to justify a lapse in moral integrity.

Can we call it "righteous misdirection" when we lie to someone "for the greater good"? Can we call it "righteous elimination" when we murder bad guys?

Is the term valuable as anything other than a euphemism?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
No seriously, can anyone really argue that righteous indignation is anything more than anger? The only time I ever hear the term used is when someone is trying to justify a lapse in moral integrity.

Can we call it "righteous misdirection" when we lie to someone "for the greater good"? Can we call it "righteous elimination" when we murder bad guys?

Righteous indignation (anger,) by definition, is when you direct your energy (anger) in a righteous manner--which would mean solving the problem while maintaining moral integrity. Instead of murdering bad guys, you ideally work towards getting them to turn around and quit being bad guys, if not that, then by either pacifying the aggressiveness of the bad guys, or, failing that, containing the bad guys so they can't harm more people.

(See the Dhyani Buddha Amoghasiddhi for more about the proper directing of anger to get things done.)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

anger has its place.

If we never got angry about anything it would indicate we were indifferent to the goings on around us.

We get angry for good reason.

rusra02

Premium Member

I believe the Bible shows anger can be righteous. With imperfect people, however, anger can be misdirected and/or uncontrolled. One example of this is when Levi and Simeon exacted vengeance for their sister's rape by killing all the men in the rapist's village. Later, Jacob was inspired to say; "because in their anger they killed men, and for their pleasure they hamstrung bulls. *Cursed be their anger, because it is cruel, and their fury, because it is harsh." (Genesis 49:6,7)
By contrast, Jesus expressed righteous indignation toward the wicked religious leaders of his day, but his next act was one of healing. (Mark 3:5) the Bible urges us to "be wrathful, but do not sin." (Ephesians 4:26)

Kristopher

Anger in and of itself is not a sin

Ephesians 4:26 BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

However, often times, I believe our anger leads us to end up sinning.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The term can describe both proper & improper reactions. But yeah, how often we see posters in religious &
other contexts let their righteous indignation excuse their disobeying the rules to personally abuse another.
Tis weakness & immaturity.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The term can describe both proper & improper reactions. But yeah, how often we see posters in religious &
other contexts let their righteous indignation excuse their disobeying the rules to personally abuse another.
Tis weakness & immaturity.

Yep, that's what I was going to try to say, but I got sidetracked with donuts or something..
oh look a giraffe..

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Maybe I failed to address my main concern, which is that it's a mask for the word "anger".

People don't say Jesus got angry. They say he got "righteously indignant". God didn't get mad, but he got righteously indignant quite a lot. I don't think the term has much value beyond special pleading.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
But what if it IS righteous?!
Truly righteous!

Do we not on occasion say......he had it coming!

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Anyone who angrily judges another is guilty of the same basic crime on the level of their motives. This is why precisely why Jesus told us things like "judge not that you not be judged", "one who lusts is the same as an adulterer", "one who curses another is the same as a murderer".

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Sometimes, but does the 'reason' ever deserve an angry response? Or can anger transform into something more useful?
Yes, anger can be optimized/transformed into something more useful. It can first serve as a quieting mechanism for the other emotions, so you can perceive things more clearly. If the other emotions don't quiet down at anger, one's mind is clouded, and this is where blind rage can set in--where anger attempts to quiet the other emotions--and blind rage means you can't see the situation clearly in order to act intelligently or rationally. Many of the immoral acts we commit while angry are not motivated by anger itself, but rather to the emotions that have failed to quiet to anger--like jealousy, envy, greed, or hatred. Without the interference of these other emotions clouding/obscuring the situation and circumstances, anger can be quick to find a solution for the situation, channel the energies/emotions in an intelligent manner, and resolve the problem in a more beneficial manner than what blind rage could accomplish.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sometimes, but does the 'reason' ever deserve an angry response? Or can anger transform into something more useful?

i can think of plenty of reasons to be angry.

But the response is another question. We dont have to lash out to respond.

We can show 'righteous indignation' as Jesus did in response to anger. This lets the one causing your anger know that his actions are wrong.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
i can think of plenty of reasons to be angry.

But the response is another question. We dont have to lash out to respond.

We can show 'righteous indignation' as Jesus did in response to anger. This lets the one causing your anger know that his actions are wrong.

Jesus got angry and acted out of anger. Dressing it up in special terminology doesn't change this fact.

If someone insults my family and I punch them in the face, I am not being "righteously indignant". I am being an ***. Call it what you will but acting out of anger is not "righteous".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Jesus got angry and acted out of anger. Dressing it up in special terminology doesn't change this fact.

If someone insults my family and I punch them in the face, I am not being "righteously indignant". I am being an ***. Call it what you will but acting out of anger is not "righteous".

well, Jesus didnt punch anyone in the face.

He did overturn their money tables and forced them out of the temple area...they were not supposed to be in the temple area which is why Jesus was angered to see them there.

I guess if someone insults your family, a punch in the face is an act of aggression which is really unwarranted on your part...ie, an over reaction.