• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIght vs Left

rrobs

If you go around telling people that are sick they are healed because the bible says so. That's just condescending and helps no one.

1Pet 2:24,

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were [past tense] healed.
Don't complain to me. It's God's idea so take it up with Him.

If you want to preach around and convert people with the bible thats fine.

2Tim 4:2,

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
Thanks for your permission, but I take my orders from God and His word.

But don't sit here acting like quoting the bible is going to solve the worlds problems.

Deut 30:19,

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
As opposed to liberal or conservative agenda?

Jesus was a charitable God.

1Tim 2:5,

For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
You should try to emulate him instead of quoting words that were written century ago.

Where did you get that idea? I've not seen it in the scriptures.

1Pet 2:24,

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were [past tense] healed.
Don't complain to me. It's God's idea so take it up with Him.

2Tim 4:2,

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
Thanks for your permission, but I take my orders from God and His word.

Deut 30:19,

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
As opposed to liberal or conservative agenda?

1Tim 2:5,

For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Where did you get that idea? I've not seen it in the scriptures.

Thankfully God has given us modern medicine. Maybe you should give sick people some of that instead of quoting written words to them.

At least their attempting something and not given up like you have.

So Jesus during his missionary didn't go aheard healing the less fortunate?

rrobs

Thankfully God has given us modern medicine. Maybe you should give sick people some of that instead of quoting written words to them.

So Jesus during his missionary didn't go aheard healing the less fortunate?
The Bible is one arena in life where people who've never read it purport to understand it. It is simply too difficult to carry on a meaningful discussion with them. No offense, but you're mind is made up and I can't say any more to you on the subject. Take care...

The Bible is one arena in life where people who've never read it purport to understand it. It is simply too difficult to carry on a meaningful discussion with them. No offense, but you're mind is made up and I can't say any more to you on the subject. Take care...

No i've read the bible buddy.
Maybe you should read James 2:14-26. You can quote scripture all you want, but if you don't actually go out there and help your fellow brethren. Your faith is dead. But go ahead continue to ease your conscious while your neighbors cry out in vain.

rrobs

No i've read the bible buddy.
Maybe you should read James 2:14-26. You can quote scripture all you want, but if you don't actually go out there and help your fellow brethren. Your faith is dead. But go ahead continue to ease your conscious while your neighbors cry out in vain.
If you say you've studied the Bible, I certainly can't say otherwise. The only reason I suggested you hadn't is because of the rather harsh tone of your responses to a brother in Christ. Rather judgmental, especially when the fact is you have no idea as to what I've done in my life. I forgive you for the accusations though. I trust you also forgive me for thinking you hadn't read the Bible. My mistake.

So, moving on, I read James. Good verses. Jesus talks about works also.

John 14:12,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.​

He certainly did some great works. But it says we shall do even greater works. As you know, he raised people from the dead, healed plenty of sick, fed the poor, and more. As a fellow student of the scriptures, I would be curious as to what you think the greater works are? I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear what you think.

rrobs

Thankfully God has given us modern medicine.
I've not seen that in the scriptures. Which verse(s) are you thinking of?
Maybe you should give sick people some of that instead of quoting written words to them.
The whole universe was created by words.

Heb 4:12,

For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
They can easily heal the sick also. Don't under estimate the power of God's word.

What makes you think I've given up?

So Jesus during his missionary didn't go ahead healing the less fortunate?
Of course he did! But only if they knew enough of the scriptures to believe.

Matt 13:58,

And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
God can only work when people believe. He gave us free will to believe or not. We will get whatever we believe (Mark 11:23). In order for someone to believe God and be healed, they must first know it is available. How do they learn that?

Rom 10:17,

So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
How are they going to hear if nobody tells them?

Isa 52:7,

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
So you see, far from "giving up" I bring good tidings to people who have incurable diseases, those whom medicine can't help. God thinks my feet are beautiful for doing that. Why don't you?

I try to base all my arguments on the scriptures, not the things the National Council of Churches teach, feelings, opinions, or or social justice values. It's the word and nothing but the word in my book. It says nothing is impossible with God. No matter how bad off someone is, there is nothing better than giving them the word of God. Jesus said that we can not live on bread alone, but by every word that God utters. God meets their needs, not me, you, or anybody else. God can save to the uttermost. If you think that means I won't give a homeless guy a sandwich before preaching to him, you are wrong. I've said nothing to indicate otherwise. I'm afraid you've misjudged. Speaking of judging,

Rom 2:1,

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
My mother used to say, "When you point one finger at someone else you are pointing 3 back at yourself. Smart woman, my mother. Good advice for anyone.

If you say you've studied the Bible, I certainly can't say otherwise. The only reason I suggested you hadn't is because of the rather harsh tone of your responses to a brother in Christ. Rather judgmental, especially when the fact is you have no idea as to what I've done in my life. I forgive you for the accusations though. I trust you also forgive me for thinking you hadn't read the Bible. My mistake.

So, moving on, I read James. Good verses. Jesus talks about works also.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.​

He certainly did some great works. But it says we shall do even greater works. As you know, he raised people from the dead, healed plenty of sick, fed the poor, and more. As a fellow student of the scriptures, I would be curious as to what you think the greater works are? I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear what you think.

Maybe he's referring to us doing even a quarter or half of the things Jesus did. I think if a mere human who could do just half of what Jesus did would be pretty great in my eyes.

rrobs

Maybe he's referring to us doing even a quarter or half of the things Jesus did. I think if a mere human who could do just half of what Jesus did would be pretty great in my eyes.
The scriptures are unambiguous when it says we will do all the works, not a quarter or half, but all the works Jesus did, and then some more to boot.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
In light of this very grammatically simple sentence, why would you not think it doesn't say we will do more than what Jesus said? I'll admit it sounds ultra-fantastic. My two bit brain would certainly never come up with such and idea and yet there it is. As plain as day. God is bigger than my brain and, with all due respect, yours also.

I really don't mean to criticize or demean you personally in any way. I'm merely suggesting you be careful in your handling of God's word. It definitely transcends any ideas a "mere" human can have.

Actually, the phrase "mere" human is not at all scriptural.

Ps 8:4-5,

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Job 7:17,

What [is] man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
Ps 144:3,

LORD, what [is] man, that thou takest knowledge of him! [or] the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
Clearly God considers us more than "mere" humans. He thinks rather highly of us. That includes you! He even sent His only begotten son to die a horrible death so you could become His child whom He loves dearly. No, it's not a "mere" human God sees whenever He looks at you. He sees the Christ in you and it doesn't get much better than that.

Col 1:27,

To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: