• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right to Lifers and Atheism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
are right to lifers agreeing with atheism; when they claim the body creates the consciousness, or a sentient being?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
are right to lifers agreeing with atheism; when they claim the body creates the consciousness, or a sentient being?

In most of my dealings with such people, whether directly or reading their comments to others, I don't see this topic come up.

It does come up in other contexts, as when theists assert the existence of disembodied consciousness (spirits), but not in the abortion debate. There, the effort is to obliterate the line that pro-choicers use to separate when in a pregnancy, it no longer is moral to terminate.

So, there will be no reference to the onset of sentience in the womb, and the effort will be to push childhood into the womb beginning at conception. It's a child to such people on day, and its mental status is irrelevant. The fetus can be anencephalic, and abortion is wrong to them anyway.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In most of my dealings with such people, whether directly or reading their comments to others, I don't see this topic come up.

It does come up in other contexts, as when theists assert the existence of disembodied consciousness (spirits), but not in the abortion debate. There, the effort is to obliterate the line that pro-choicers use to separate when in a pregnancy, it no longer is moral to terminate.

So, there will be no reference to the onset of sentience in the womb, and the effort will be to push childhood into the womb beginning at conception. It's a child to such people on day, and its mental status is irrelevant. The fetus can be anencephalic, and abortion is wrong to them anyway.
they believe they are trying to save a spiritual being, a sentient being. they believe a fetus is fully sentient

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less.
No one operates, navigates reality, life solely on one negative/positive belief. Atheists aren't special. Theists believe in God. That is one belief. You cannot realistically navigate life with just one belief. Parroting an idea as an absolute, all encompasding belief is a lack of psychological maturity. People aren't that naive or simpleton. One theist will not absolutely share a set of beliefs with another, neither will an atheist.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If you think this relates to your claim in the OP in some way, you may want to explain whatever connection you see.
prolifers see matter as creating consciousness. They have it backwards. Spirit, consciousness, gives rise to forms of matter. Matter is eternal like consciousness but things evolve due to changes in the environment and consciousness responds and the form evolves. The consciousness adapts first and form follows the function of the changing consciousness

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
prolifers see matter as creating consciousness.
You keep on saying this, but it's not at all clear to me why you think this.

Any anti-choicer who's expressed an opinion to me on this seems to say that consciousness resides in the soul, not in physical matter, and "ensoulment" of the body happens at conception.

Anyone who thought that consciousness arose from matter wouldn't insist that a blastocyst, for instance, without any differentiated nerve cells to say nothing of a brain, is a "person" capable of conscious thought.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You keep on saying this, but it's not at all clear to me why you think this.

Any anti-choicer who's expressed an opinion to me on this seems to say that consciousness resides in the soul, not in physical matter, and "ensoulment" of the body happens at conception.

Anyone who thought that consciousness arose from matter wouldn't insist that a blastocyst, for instance, without any differentiated nerve cells to say nothing of a brain, is a "person" capable of conscious thought.
a body is not a soul, that is my point. they are claiming that the soul is created at conception and with the fetal body. it isn't. their bible doesn't teach that

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No one operates, navigates reality, life solely on one negative/positive belief. Atheists aren't special. Theists believe in God. That is one belief. You cannot realistically navigate life with just one belief. Parroting an idea as an absolute, all encompasding belief is a lack of psychological maturity. People aren't that naive or simpleton. One theist will not absolutely share a set of beliefs with another, neither will an atheist.

An atheist does not believe in god. Nothing more, nothing less, they can believe or disbelieve anything else, it does not matter, it is irrelevant to being atheist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
a body is not a soul, that is my point. they are claiming that the soul is created at conception and with the fetal body. it isn't. their bible doesn't teach that
Who claims this? The anti-choicers in your head?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
An atheist does not believe in god. Nothing more, nothing less, they can believe or disbelieve anything else, it does not matter, it is irrelevant to being atheist.
sure it is. you got anything else you want to try and sell me?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Well, I am an atheist, but not a materialist. Now what?
i said atheism. the spiritual prolifers are making their case with an atheistic materialist claim. they don't believe in god as a matter. to them god is all spirit.

strangely atheists have been triggered to think the thread is about them. me thinks y'all are protesting to much. most christians are loathing of atheism or supposedly materialists

are any of your prolifers?

if not, then the thread isn't about you. It isn't an either or. ITS AN AND

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
i said atheism. the spiritual prolifers are making their case with an atheistic materialist claim. they don't believe in god as a matter. to them god is all spirit.

Well I am an atheist, so I am a member of atheism. So what is this atheism you are talking about?