• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right and Left Someone please explain

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The right: do it yourself, pull your socks up, toughen up princess, they are just words. Two sets of genitalia, two genders

The left: everyone is entitled to everything, racial politics are fine as long as you aren't white. Free speech is fine as long as we agree with what you are saying. Trigger warning, words hurt. Two sets of genitalia, 56 genders.

You forgot "toss science out the window" and "impose religious beliefs upon the public, and use them as a justification to limit or restrict liberty, rights, and equality" for the right.

You forgot "toss science out the window" and "impose religious beliefs upon the public, and use them as a justification to limit or restrict liberty, rights, and equality" for the right.
Ya, I left a lot out on the left too. Only so much time in a day.

Both extremes are honestly quite retarded, to be honest, but I'll choose liberty over equality any day, as only one of those comes at the barrel of a (metaphorical, sometimes literal) gun.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
100_70.png

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Ya, I left a lot out on the left too. Only so much time in a day.

Both extremes are honestly quite retarded, to be honest, but I'll choose liberty over equality any day, as only one of those comes at the barrel of a (metaphorical, sometimes literal) gun.
How can you have liberty without equality?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The test describes me as a centrist. Fair enough.[GALLERY=media, 8302]Libertarian_quiz by LuisDantas posted Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM[/GALLERY]

They actually seems to be opposites, ends of a spectrum. With true freedom, there is no equality because people are simply not equal. Equality must be enforced upon people. Yes, even equal opportunity. Opertunity does not come at equal measure from one person or group to the next.

Liberty means sink or swim, equality means everyone is forced to wear floaties and need not even learn how to swim.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I care more about fairness than I do equality.

For example, it may be unequal that men as a group earn more than women, but it is not unfair given that men (as a group) tend to make choices that lend to earning more than women do. This is simply the market at play. Government is perfectly legitimate in making sure that the market is as fair as possible, but it has no right to systematically privilege some groups over others out of a misguided pursuit of 'equality'.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yipes!
Another couple crazy extremists.
If we find one more, then we could take over this place.
Check this out when I go with what we agree with socially and say maybe to all your economic questions. The rare seemingly extinct leftist libertarian.
100_50.png

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am all the time hearing in the media Right this and Left that and extreme right and extreme left like everyone knows what is being referred to.

Whenever I flat out ask, all I get is useless rants and a list of names of those who are one one side or the other.

Is it even possible to meaningfully explain them?
Your confusion is not only natural, it shows that you have some intelligence and subtlety of thought!

We humans aren't 1-dimensional things, so how could something as 1-dimensional as "right and left" describe how we think and wish to govern ourselves? Of course, it's impossible.

The usual left/right notion has to do with how much or how little government there ought to be -- but that leaves out so much, because I can't tell whether it means government control over your private life, over business, over how taxes work, or how welfare or charity work, or anything else. So, maybe think of it this way: left/right seems to mean something like control/no-control (on the part of government). Then, you have to add all the other dimensions yourself:
  • Should the government have control over your personal life (left, you're a social liberal, right a social conservative)?
  • Should the government have control over whether a business (a bank, say) can try to generate profit at terrible risk to the economy. or by deliberately deceiving its customers (right, sure, they can cause a cancer outbreak and pollute the environment for profit, left, not so much)?
  • Are there areas where government should be able to coerce us to do something (buy auto insurance to drive, buy health insurance to live)?
Add as many other dimensions as you think are appropriate.

For the record, on the 3 I listed above, I'm on the left of all of those.