• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riders In the Sky

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In keeping in the Johnny Cash theme...

Have you ever been on a plane?

When was your first time flying?

How often do you fly?

Do you enjoy it?

Personally, I dislike flying and drive pretty much anywhere I go that isn't overseas.

3399786009_c4a0ab1f39_b.jpg

A Vestigial Mote

I also dislike flying. Cramped spaces with an inability to stop and get out/off for a break. And the off-boarding process is ridiculous - time-consuming and opens up a lot of opportunity (and motive, considering how bored these people have all been for how long) for people to behave selfishly. For the duration you're on the plane, you are simply trapped.

Brian2

Veteran Member

How often do you fly?

Do you enjoy it?

Personally, I dislike flying and drive pretty much anywhere I go that isn't overseas.

All that booking in etc is a hassle but my wife does that bit.
Flying is more comfortable usually than squirming in a car seat to get comfortable and ease the pain in legs and bum.
That part gets worse as I get older and distances are longer and take longer than I imagine.
Cars have the advantage of being able to stop and experience the environment if you are not in a hurry, which seems to be what we are much of the time.
Planes have the advantage of getting a good over view of what is being flown over if you get a window seat, or being able to do some reading if not.
The gremlins out the window can be disturbing however.

I used to like that show as a kid.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
When I flew to Japan, I was accidentially booked to a Business Class seat instead of the Economy Class I believe I had actually paid for. It was easily the most enjoyable time I had ever had on an airplane flight, and made me starkly aware of the class divides in our society. I even got to see Kung Fu Panda for the first time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I once flew 1st class to Hawaii.
I had the kind of isolated seat that became a bed.
Luxurious it was, but I still hated it....but with
a little less hatred than for my usual "bulk class".

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

How often do you fly?

Do you enjoy it?

Apparently I'm the odd one out here but I actually enjoy flying, haha. I find it exhilarating and fascinating to travel and see new places. It also blows my mind a little that we have a mode of transportation available to us that is so much faster than prior generations of humans ever had access to. Going through security is a hassle, but once that's over I'm usually a happy camper.

Unfortunately my parents have moved to an area that is 2 hours from major airport. So to go see them I have to take a plane and then get in a car and drive for 2 hours. :expressionless:That's annoying. Lol.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Flying is fine as far as being stuck in a tube breathing recirculated air full of second hand farts and eating substandard food goes

It's taking off and landing and landing that i hate. Hubby has more than once lost circulation to his hand as i grip his wrist.

Pre covid i flew around 4 to 6 times a year, mostly short haul of an hour and a half flights between France and the UK.

My first time was as a child, family holiday to Bulgaria,. It was still communist and Sophia airport was shared civilian and military so armed soldiers patrolled in large, intimidating groups. They had only recently installed metal detectors while communist metal detector technology was still in its infancy.
Some time before i had broken my elbow and had a silver pin holding my arm together. As i passed through the metal detector the sirens of hell screached and the sound of 6 Kalashnikovs being cocked and pointed at you is sure a great reason rubber knickers have been invented.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I once worked in flight controls.
I watch the show Air Disasters.
So very many things can go wrong.
I avoid thinking of those when flying.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How often do you fly? Do you enjoy it?
Perhaps 1968, Douglas DC-3, it rattled (dangerously :)). Delhi-Jodhpur.
Not much, don't need to. Son flies all the time. Of course, all flying is grounded in these Corona times.
It is convenient for long distances (in India), saves time. Better than driving in Indian heat and on Indian roads.

4692595887_356c379abd.jpg

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When I was a poor college student I took the bus from Minneapolis to Seattle several times to spend Christmas with the family. I never complain about flying. Try traveling through Montana with a drunken cowboy lurching against you with every bump in the road.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I like flying. Watching the earth move past below me, seeing the tops of the clouds, and simply being able to go places that I would not otherwise be able to go to: that is a lot of fun.

I *hate* the security lines, the waiting at the terminal, the masses of humanity, and the high prices for everything. The food on the airplane and the restrooms are pretty bad as well.

My first flight was when I was 23 and going for my first job interview after getting my PhD.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I like flying. Watching the earth move past below me, seeing the tops of the clouds, and simply being able to go places that I would not otherwise be able to go to: that is a lot of fun.

I *hate* the security lines, the waiting at the terminal, the masses of humanity, and the high prices for everything. The food on the airplane and the restrooms are pretty bad as well.

My first flight was when I was 23 and going for my first job interview after getting my PhD.
I take a window seat if at all possible and spend most of the flight looking intensely out of the window. Even clouds can be fascinating.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I dislike it, but I wouldn't say I hate it. The best thing is the fact you get there. Long flights are brutal, with digestion, and cramping issues. Long connecting flights with 5 hour stopovers are even worse. If you must stopover, make it long enough to sleep and eat and walk around some. We went Seattle - Dubai with Emirates, for 17 hours. Never again. If we do India again, it will be with a 2 day stopover in Europe somewhere, and then a Middle Eastern airline so that flight gives a 2 hour break in an airport. These days 6 hours to Hawaii seems too long.

Altfish

Veteran Member

How often do you fly?

Do you enjoy it?

YES
When I was 11, Manchester to Isle of Wight
How often do you fly?
Not a lot
Do you enjoy it?
No, I hate the process

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think my first flight was a solo backpacking holiday in Greece (from London) and I've flown many times since a lot further - in normal scheduled flights as well as smaller company planes, and with my brother a few times, in a Cessna I think. Flying in the latter was enjoyable but I hate the time taken in most airline flights and the shortage of room. I often regale any passengers I meet with how the wings deflect so much, and how cracks in the windows brought the Comet planes down, and there might be a stowaway in the landing-gear compartment, and ... Just so much fun having worked in the aerospace industry. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Better than driving ...on Indian roads.

If I ever have felt I'm in the hands of Divinity and that I needed to surrender the wish to live, it was on Indian roads. Rickshaws, bullock carts, bicycles, people, cars and trucks weaving and honking around each other trying to move as fast as possible is not something for the faint of heart.

Flying these days is about putting up with being treated like cattle being subjected to the least comfortable seats as possible with minimal leg room in coach.

I keep wondering how long it will be until we're given diapers and then put in a tube and loaded into cargo planes because more people can be stacked up that way.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Part funny, part truth. :)

I do not remember why we went by air. Othertimes we went by railway. I was with my wife. Perhaps she will remember. It has been more than half a century since then.

Edit: Checked with my wife. She remembers that our daughter and our first child, was an infant at that time. My guess is that it may have been summers and we might have been trying to save her from heat. We did not have air-conditioned coaches at that time.

Last edited: