• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riddles

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
What walks on four legs at dawn, two at noon, and three at dusk?

I think I heard this one....is it a human being? As babies, we crawl on our hands and knees, then when we are adults, we walk on two legs, but when we are old, we use a walking stick for support - the third leg.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think I heard this one....is it a human being? As babies, we crawl on our hands and knees, then when we are adults, we walk on two legs, but when we are old, we use a walking stick for support - the third leg.

Well done.

This was the riddle posed by the sphynx, a monster who lived on the road to Thebes, to Oedipus.
The sphynx would pose each passer-by a riddle. If they could not solve the riddle they would be devoured.
Oedipus answered correctly, but probably later wished he hadn't.

How about this one, asked of Alice by the Mad Hatter: "How is a raven like a writing-desk"?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Well done.

Yay! :bounce Thank you. :)

This was the riddle posed by the sphynx, a monster who lived on the road to Thebes, to Oedipus.
The sphynx would pose each passer-by a riddle. If they could not solve the riddle they would be devoured.
Oedipus answered correctly, but probably later wished he hadn't.

Whoa, that's interesting! :yes:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
That's no mystery. Mourn my birth and celebrate my death. It's an old tradition of my family that I'm led to believe is based in Judaism. Perhaps other RF's could shead some light on this.

Some Hindus are like this too....key word being "some". :D I remember that there was a funeral in our area and the person who died used to live in a certain part of India - I can't remember where. For that person's funeral there were celebrations including what we call tassa drumming - something which is normally seen in weddings and other celebrations. I also think that the format of this person's funeral had to do with the customs from whatever part of India he/she originated from.

I think the reason for these celebrations is that when we are in this world, there is suffering associated with a human birth. However, when we are free from the physical body, we have a chance to reunite with God and be in a place of total joy.

Most of the Hindus in my country cry at funerals though....and scream....and faint etc. :p

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I posted these on another forum some time ago, but perhaps the people here can enjoy them:

I have a face but no eyes, and upon my face you can track the course of the blazing skies. I have a point but no answer, and if you look too hard for a nose to gaze it will only make you tenser. What am I?

I am a solitary foe; the executor of every woe. I am the supreme hunter for whom no prey's hunt will founder. If you look upon life with fear, then who I am should be clear. Who am I?

At noon was I formless but in the morn I was never groundless. At night was I born but from the matter of yester day I cannot be shorn. I am found with the kiss of the midnight air and by your morning paper. What am I?

Eyeless Face, Armless Hand, Handless Arm. When having fun you look upon me in shock. This riddle is done; its a lock. But if know it, then you should show it; I'm a...?

I swim across a sea of light and shadow. Night is my companion and the ground my sister's body. And if you think of this lit-er-ally, then all you'll find is folly. What am I?

Sandy Spires Staring Skyward. The Theologic Themes That Thoroughly Thwart Thieves. Grand Graves Granted Greatness. What are we?

Supplant the competition. Undo failure. Rise above. Mountains climbed. Obstacles overcome. Ultimate conquest. No defeat. Triumph only. What am I?

And since I like this forum too, have to give some new riddle love:

If Pie are round, and sandwich are squared, then what are ice? (kind of a childish math joke I know, but I always thought it was funny)

I am grounded when I fly. I charge that which is not my enemy. I enlighten but can only be found when it is dark. What am I?

I am found before the hole, after the bump, prior to the ring, and following the turn. What am I?

I am found in Hospitals, but not in Temples. I am found in Iterations, but not in Classes. I am found in Pittance, and not in Abundance. I am found in Solitary or in Multitudes, but never in Groups or Gangs. What am I?

Good Hunting Everyone...

MTF

Last edited:

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
Sandy Spires Staring Skyward. The Theologic Themes That Thoroughly Thwart Thieves. Grand Graves Granted Greatness. What are we?

Errm is it Pyramids?

Venatoris

At noon was I formless but in the morn I was never groundless. At night was I born but from the matter of yester day I cannot be shorn. I am found with the kiss of the midnight air and by your morning paper. What am I?

A shadow

I swim across a sea of light and shadow. Night is my companion and the ground my sister's body. And if you think of this lit-er-ally, then all you'll find is folly. What am I?
The moon

Commoner

Headache

"dew" comes to mind, but I'm not sure if it fits everything...

Last edited: