• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Perry signs "Merry Christmas Bill"

tytlyf

Not Religious
Shame on the people who voted this guy into office! Sometimes I wonder if conservatives even like the constitution.
During the signing of Texas' "Merry Christmas Bill" on Thursday, Gov. Rick Perry (R) made a rather shocking claim.
"Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion," Perry declared at the State Capitol building in Austin before signing HB 308, which allows public schools to display scenes and symbols of "traditional winter holidays."

"People of faith too often feel they can't express their faith publicly. And if they dare display it, they find themselves under attack from individuals and organizations that have nothing to do with them or their communities for that matter," Perry continued, nodding toward a group of Kountze High School cheerleaders, who had come to show support after winning a landmark case where a state district judge allowed them to display Bible verses on banners during football games.
The new law, which will go into effect in Texas schools in September, allows schools to have religious displays as long as more than one religion is being represented (or there's a secular symbol next to a display of one religion). The bill also allows teachers to say things like "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Channukah."

Rick Perry: 'Religious Freedom Does Not Mean Freedom From Religion' (VIDEO)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Shame on the people who voted this guy into office! Sometimes I wonder if conservatives even like the constitution.

Rick Perry: 'Religious Freedom Does Not Mean Freedom From Religion' (VIDEO)

If the report is correct in that the law allows for more than one religion to be displayed, and that it SHOULD have at least two different religions (or one plus a secular symbol), I am not sure right now how that would violate the Establishment Clause.

I have to think about this.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't see anything wrong with the bill per se. More so that that's the important stuff that our governmental bodies feel that they have to deal with.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't take issue with religious displays...as long as it isn't funded by tax money or done by the government itself. I'm sure these christian fundies wouldn't be too happy if their tax dollars were used to promote a faith other than their own. But if individuals or private organizations/businesses want to display/promote religious stuff out of their own pockets, more power to them.

Last edited:
Even the ACLU is not jumping to any hasty conclusions about this bill:

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas said it was waiting to see what practical effect the new law would have at the state’s schools.

“We will be monitoring this very closely,” Tom Hargins, director of communications for the ACLU of Texas, told the Daily News. “We hope that school administrators will remain mindful that it is up to parents to introduce and teach their kids about religion, not the public schools.”
- Source.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Will crosses or crosses with Yeshua be allowed or how about nativity scenes. Do you think this sets a precedent for other states. Do you think this will open the the door for other decisions blury the line between church and state... ?

tytlyf

Not Religious
If the report is correct in that the law allows for more than one religion to be displayed, and that it SHOULD have at least two different religions (or one plus a secular symbol), I am not sure right now how that would violate the Establishment Clause.

I have to think about this.
There should be zero religious displays on public tax payer land. This will go up in flames fast, watch what happens in the christmas time. The bill is essentially bypassing the constitution and promoting religion on public grounds. Sure the bill says that it's only allowed if there is an accompanying display from another party. I'll guarantee you'll see nativity scenes and the like put on public school property without meeting the guidelines for this law by having another opinion.
Why you ask? Because they don't want another display and it would be vandalized anyways.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So, any "traditional winter holiday" symbols?

Sweet! Nativity scenes next to images of the Wild Hunt! ^_^

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Perry's statement that we do not have a Constitutional right to freedom from religion is interesting for its absurdity.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm alright with it, as long as World AIDS Day, December 1, is presented. As well as Kwanzaa, 26th. Bodhi Day on the 8th in case in Buddhists are around. Soyal, 21, for the Hopi Indians. Why not Dies Natalis Solis Invicti while were at?

By the way, the banner thing probably won't stay. ACLU will wait for a student who wants to sue. In the mean time, prepare your signs: "Not even God could help the Raider's" and "Don't Worry Guys, Hitler and Seitan are behind you." Or better yet! "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12) Or "Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and *****." (1 Samuel 15:3)

That way, we don't have to pretend we care about the constitution.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm alright with it, as long as World AIDS Day, December 1, is presented. As well as Kwanzaa, 26th. Bodhi Day on the 8th in case in Buddhists are around. Soyal, 21, for the Hopi Indians. Why not Dies Natalis Solis Invicti while were at?
To stop it getting out of hand, it could be implemented so only to cater to the religious and cultural populace from demographic surveys, so it caters to people who live in the local area. That'd be nice.

Also, HumanLight. :D

dust1n

Zindīq
To stop it getting out of hand, it could be implemented so only to cater to the religious and cultural populace from demographic surveys, so it caters to people who live in the local area. That'd be nice.

Also, HumanLight. :D

So it would just take one individual to demand something per community.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
So it would just take one individual to demand something per community.
Possibly, ;) Or it could go by a small percentage, say 5% of the population to stop exploitation, with an exception to the historic religious festivals of the Native American area, whom I think should have their festivals shown too.

dust1n

Zindīq
Possibly, ;) Or it could go by a small percentage, say 5% of the population to stop exploitation, with an exception to the historic religious festivals of the Native American area, whom I think should have their festivals shown too.

5% is some limit. Would have kept everything but Christianity out my high school.