• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Dawkins - Unweaving the Rainbow - worth $5?

freethinker44

Anyway, Dawkins loves to discredit religion by offering scientific proof about things, so I'll see what he comes up with this time.

Not entirely true. Religion discredits itself when it tries to discredit scientific proof. Dawkins is just helping to give science a voice to keep religious ignorance in check. After all, we wouldn't want to sink into the dark ages again.

nnmartin

I don't think Dawkins understands the meaning of religion, spirituality or philosophy though.

He probably lacks the imagination and insight therefore just discredits it.

Religion is not meant to be science - it is only a guide.

Splarnst

If you think that sentence is garbage, I know better how to evaluate your opinions in the future. Thank you.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Perhaps one paragraph sounds ok but a whole book of this sort of stuff was just too much (well 4 and a half pages). The waffling gets worse though.

anyway, I think I am a little biased against poor old Dawkins.

I still say that a 50/50 split between science and religion/philosophy doesn't make great reading as it's neither one thing or the other.

His statement is completely accurate, I'm not sure what your gripe is.

gnomon

my gripe is that he wrote a very silly book called 'The Blind Watchmaker'.

Oh my god!

He's writing books.

Shameful of him. Rather he display an incredible ignorance of science and human sexuality on an internet forum than write books in his field of expertise, eh?

Skeptisch

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.”
― Richard Dawkins - Unweaving the Rainbow