• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Dawkins’s response to his de-platforming in Berkeley

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Oh hey, my old public radio station. :)

I don't see any reason why anyone should be guaranteed a speaking platform, unless it is a town hall meeting or something where public comment is required.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh hey, my old public radio station. :)

I don't see any reason why anyone should be guaranteed a speaking platform, unless it is a town hall meeting or something where public comment is required.

Do you believe the radio station had a moral right to de-platform Dawkins for spurious reasons? Emphasis on "spurious".

The Holy Bottom Burp

Dawkins made his point eloquently and forcefully enough. I don't know the real reason they cancelled, how could I? Trying to appear PC? Fear of becoming a terrorist target? Whatever the quote;

"We apologize for not having had broader knowledge of Dawkins views much earlier."

sounds thin in the extreme. Richard Dawkins is a global personality, an outspoken anti theist, I think my next door neighbour's cat is aware of that much. I suspect some other motivation was behind the cancellation, but hey ho, move on I say, it is the radio station's loss.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's an NPR station? Now I am really embarrassed for them:oops:

I can understand a for profit station simply doing what they think will sell. That's their goal. NPR should be better than that, although they are pretty under the gun these days.
Sad
Tom
I've long noticed that NPR treats its supporters well.
Individuals' politics are served.
And Corporate types with image problems use it for clean up.
Oh, so often I heard on my local station....."ADM, supermarket to the world".
(This started right after their getting caught in some major scandal.)

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Do you believe the radio station had a moral right to de-platform Dawkins for spurious reasons? Emphasis on "spurious".
What has morality got to do with it? They got complaints, they cancelled the event. It's a practical decision, especially in a town where inviting an unpopular speaker can mean paying hundreds of thousands of dollars on security and property damage. I wouldn't have done the same, but I'm not going to blame someone else for being pragmatic.

It's not as though Berkeley is short on atheist speakers, it's one of the least religious towns in the country.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Let the radio station go through the shame of calling criticism of Islaam "abusive".

It has no obligation to give Dawkins a speaking channel. But neither has Dawkins any duty to protect it from the consequences to its own reputation.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
As far as his unconvincing reponse goes:

“It’s tempting to say all religions are bad, and I do say all religions are bad, but it’s a worse temptation to say all religions are equally bad because they’re not,” the “Science in the Soul” author said, the U.K. Telegraph reported Sunday. “If you look at the actual impact that different religions have on the world, it’s quite apparent that at present the most evil religion in the world has to be Islam.”

This was only last month, and in connection with the same book tour; it's not unreasonable worry that he might say something similar at this event.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does KPFA receive any public funding? Or use the public airways? If not, I'm fine with them de-platforming whoever they like, for whatever reasons they like. But if they are in any way beholden to the public, then they have an obligation to legitimately justify their actions.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Since Dawkins goal is to eradicate religion, that would mean one of his goal is to eradicate Religious Forums, because without religion, there is no forum.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Does KPFA receive any public funding? Or use the public airways? If not, I'm fine with them de-platforming whoever they like, for whatever reasons they like. But if they are in any way beholden to the public, then they have an obligation to legitimately justify their actions.
Really? So anyone should be able to march into any public station and simply demand airtime?

Lyndon

Premium Member
KPFA is public funded Pacifica radio not NPR, they receive no funding I know of from the government. They are a private non profit organization.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Would you demand equal time for a Christian that wanted to eliminate all atheists???

The Holy Bottom Burp

Since Dawkins goal is to eradicate religion, that would mean one of his goal is to eradicate Religious Forums, because without religion, there is no forum.

You a naughty man Lyndon!:D

He claims in his response, as quoted by Sunstone, that he has never spoken against Islam. An obvious lie.

Kind of agree, he says he spoke against "Islamism", which I guess refers to the extreme elements of the religion, not the vast majority of ordinary people who are happy to worship Allah and not oppress anyone. Disclaimer: that is a guess!

Really? So anyone should be able to march into any public station and simply demand airtime?

Come on, not what he was saying though was it. Dawkins was booked to appear and the station took the unilateral decision to cancel.

Would you demand equal time for a Christian that wanted to eliminate all atheists???

Again, not really the point is it? I live in the UK but I'm more than aware America is awash with Christians who would quite happily see a Christian theocracy established. In America "atheist" = minority, in the UK "atheist" = normal. :)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member