• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rice

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Rice is one of my favorite foods. It's so versatile and can do so many things... and taste good with so many combinations.

However, I am at a loss as to what to cook my rice with. I generally just do plain brown rice and mix in some beans or peas. I don't have a finicky palate, so that generally satisfies me. I'm interested in mixing in some seasonings or spices to give it some extra flavor, though.

What do you use to flavor your rice?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'm a fan of Rice Pilaf. Toast some orzo, and add it to some rice with sauteed onions, chicken broth, thyme, salt, and bay leaves.

Aqualung

Tasty
Rice is one of my favorite foods. It's so versatile and can do so many things... and taste good with so many combinations.

However, I am at a loss as to what to cook my rice with. I generally just do plain brown rice and mix in some beans or peas. I don't have a finicky palate, so that generally satisfies me. I'm interested in mixing in some seasonings or spices to give it some extra flavor, though.

Flavour? What is this flavour thing you speak of?

Inky

Replacing some of the rice-cooking water with a flavorful liquid like vegetable broth or coconut milk works wonders. Also, most soups and stews can be poured over rice and it becomes a wonderful broth delivery food.

If you like Thai-type flavors, try cooking it in half water, half coconut milk, or chicken broth/coconut milk if you eat chicken, I forget. Either way, add some lime, basil and sliced onion, it's very tasty.

FFH

Veteran Member

honey and soy or teriyaki sauce...

I also have used ramen flavor/spice packets to flavor the rice and that's pretty good, but i prefer honey and soy sauce....

I love brown rice...

Whole grains are the "staff of life"...

Ever learning

Jamaican Rice and Peas

• 1/4 cup gungo peas/or Red peas
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 green pepper
  • escallion
  • chopped up onions
  • black pepper
  • thyme, salt to taste
  • 2 cups rice
  • coconut milk or coconut [to make coconut milk]. Cut coconut in small pieces and blend in about 3 cups water in the blender, strain through a strainer to seperate the milk.
METHOD:
  1. soak peas for a few hours. or do number 8.
  2. Pour peas and water in a pot with coconut milk, garlic and put to boil.
  3. Cook peas until tender adding more water if necessary.
  4. When peas are cooked add salt, whole pepper, black pepper, thyme, & escallion.
  5. Let season simmer.
  6. Add rice to pot. Mix together.
  7. Cook on a low fire until done.
I love this one.:)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Try some orange juice concentrate, chopped onions, a bit of garlic, the usual salt & pepper, and curry powder. When it's done mix in some raisins and let the rice sit for another 5 minutes. Garnish with roasted almonds. Yum!

I'm sorry I can't give you measurements for anything -- I always wing it, but if you need some better directions I can come up with some.

Also, cook the brown rice as normal (I use a lot of water for just a rice pilaf so it's drier and looser). If you like you can cook it in veggie or chicken broth, though. When it's done you can add sauteed chopped onions and dried cranberries that you've soaked in warm water while the rice was cooking.

Those are my favorite 2 rice dishes. If you want a complete meal, you could add cooked chicken or fried tofu to the curry dish and that's that.

Wow....I have so many rice dishes I love I don't even know where to start after these two. Persians are known for some really wonderful rice dishes and I've picked up a lot from them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm fond of easy-fried rice. A couple tablespoons of olive or peanut oil and a couple tablespoons of soy or teriyaki sauce heated in a pan, and then stir in your cooked vegetables, and then stir in your rice (about 2 cups). Done.

Booko

Deviled Hen
How about Arroz Rojo? (red rice?)

There are variations on this, but basically you cook your rice in:

Tomato paste (or tomatoes)
Broth (veggie or chicken)
Sauteed onions
Cayenne pepper
Salt

And off you go. You can tart it up with chopped green peppers or anything else that seems suitable. Make it hotter if you like by adding some hot sauce or a minced jalapeno.

ayani

**gasp** i love rice, too!

i usually mix grated cheese in, to get it all melty and cheesy. and lots of salt, as a love sodium.

sometimes seasoned salt or garlic salt. mmmmm.