• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF rule 3 and hypocrisy.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is any discussion ever made better
by accusations of hypocrisy?
And how often have I seen posters skirt
the rules by calling the post something
to indirectly call the poster that thine, eh.
I'm going to call that Shakespear because I can. I love freedom!
I love it! I think that just one good thin g happened to me. I was born in the USA.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Calling someone a hypocrite seldom discourages them from being one, unfortunately.

How would you suggest you call to one's attention that they're being hypocritical in such a way that they will actually digest what you're saying and use it for self betterment?
Rather than just toss out the word "hypocrite," would it not be better to point out exactly where the presumed hypocrisy lies? And if there really is hypocrisy, this should be trivially easy.

A simple example: your friend says "I care deeply about the environment and the future of this planet," and then throws plastic wrap that held his sandwich into the water beside which you are picnicking.

I am trying to suggest, in other words, don't fling the label "hypocrite" at somebody, but instead make the hypocrisy itself as clear and obvious as possible.

(By the way, it probably still won't work. We humans are very good at being completely unaware of our own cognitive dissonance.)

danieldemol

Premium Member
We may not call people critical labels, describe their moods,
dis their reading comprehension, or otherwise be insulting.
But you can describe a post as inconsistent, & explain why.
If hypocritical, that would address the problem. I recommend
using the word even to describe a post....it's offensive.
Isn't inconsistent just a euphemism for hypocritical?

I'm just going to have to adapt to RF culture, my personal culture is much more direct.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Rather than just toss out the word "hypocrite," would it not be better to point out exactly where the presumed hypocrisy lies? And if there really is hypocrisy, this should be trivially easy.

A simple example: your friend says "I care deeply about the environment and the future of this planet," and then throws plastic wrap that held his sandwich into the water beside which you are picnicking.

I am trying to suggest, in other words, don't fling the label "hypocrite" at somebody, but instead make the hypocrisy itself as clear and obvious as possible.

(By the way, it probably still won't work. We humans are very good at being completely unaware of our own cognitive dissonance.)
If you dont mind me asking, what words would you have chosen specifically to use to your friend in this instance?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't inconsistent just a euphemism for hypocritical?

I'm just going to have to adapt to RF culture, my personal culture is much more direct.
Yes, to some extent it's a game, but it's one we all have to play unless or until we come up with something that works better.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of times in the forums where I wish I could call a hypocrite a hypocrite, or a liar a liar, and don't even get me started on wombats (don't ask. It's an ugly story)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm looking for a constructive way to critique rule 3, and my hands are a little tied in what I can type here, which is ok.

But I wonder, if we can't call out the hypocrisy of RF members won't this encourage hypocrisy amongst RF members?

Do you feel that a hypocritical RF community is a positive community?

Thoughts?
Do you have any specifics in mind, or is your concern more generalised?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
if we can't call out the hypocrisy of RF members won't this encourage hypocrisy amongst RF members?

Others have already mentioned simply pointing out the inconsistency without using the word hypocrite.

Also, one can refer to hypocrisy in the abstract without calling another a hypocrite: "Isn't it hypocrisy to say one thing then do another?"

And if that seems too harsh, one can use the phrase double standard as a euphemism for hypocrisy.