• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Retirement and Nursing Homes ........ and even the Graveyard.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's a miserably cold and windy morning here in Kent UK, and so I thought I would do my best to cheer you all up!

Where did they all go, and when, and why?

I was browsing through this section in search of old RF names, but most threads were posted in memory of well known people rather than lost members. So I looked in to the members lists and noticed that one deadly debater not seen here in half a dozen years is still in the 'Most Posts' list!

I clicked on to his name and began to read the 'thankyou' messages sent to him, stretching back to 2012, and the 'Names Gone By' were there, in a long list down the page. I picked out one that I remembered which belonged to a deadly atheist debater and 'clicked' on to her name. There is no record of her on RF now but her name appears in those messages sent to others. I remember that the name disappeared after a sad incident...... 'nuff said.

I was hoping to find a past debater who could write brilliant messages in single sentences. The one that springs to mind was sent after some member showed a rather narrow minded approach to a subject. The debater that I seek to remember wrote something like:-
'.... that's like a colony of Termites in the desert just outside Tobruk believing that the 2nd World War was all about them!'
.....I did love to read his one-liners! :)

I have a kind of dyslexia that interferes with my memory of names, and I cannot grasp the above member's name, so if that has triggered your memory, please do offer some names. Trawling the messages back as far as RF goes is quite amazing and has left me thinking of members that I posted with all the time.

Ah... well..... back to rainy windy England now. :)

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a miserably cold and windy morning here in Kent UK, and so I thought I would do my best to cheer you all up!

I was browsing through this section in search of old RF names, but most threads were posted in memory of well known people rather than lost members. So I looked in to the members lists and noticed that one deadly debater not seen here in half a dozen years is still in the 'Most Posts' list!

I clicked on to his name and began to read the 'thankyou' messages sent to him, stretching back to 2012, and the 'Names Gone By' were there, in a long list down the page. I picked out one that I remembered which belonged to a deadly atheist debater and 'clicked' on to her name. There is no record of her on RF now but her name appears in those messages sent to others. I remember that the name disappeared after a sad incident...... 'nuff said.

I was hoping to find a past debater who could write brilliant messages in single sentences. The one that springs to mind was sent after some member showed a rather narrow minded approach to a subject. The debater that I seek to remember wrote something like:-
'.... that's like a colony of Termites in the desert just outside Tobruk believing that the 2nd World War was all about them!'

I have a kind of dyslexia that interferes with my memory of names, and I cannot grasp the above member's name, so if that has triggered your memory, please do offer some names. Trawling the messages back as far as RF goes is quite amazing and has left me thinking of members that I posted with all the time.

The Walls of Jericho ? Is that it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

When you sober up, could you explain your post to me?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Well I never............ wrong thread, but right name!
How did you do that?
The Kilgore Trout!

He must have had a 'thing' about termites, Bricks.
Could he ever explode a powerful statement in a single sentence.
I wonder what happened to him?

Thank you.
In my heart his true name was 'Quippy'.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Dec 2012, a few months after you joined up.
All those names that have drifted in, through and onwards during these years.
I don't think this way often, but this weekend I have been, for some reason.

Thing is, members just go with few goodbyes, and we tend not to find out whether they lost interest, had a road accident, got old .... or what. They just disappear. There cannot be any other kind of community, club or group like that.

These thoughts must come under the heading of maudlin'........ :)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
All those names that have drifted in, through and onwards during these years.
I don't think this way often, but this weekend I have been, for some reason.

Thing is, members just go with few goodbyes, and we tend not to find out whether they lost interest, had a road accident, got old .... or what. They just disappear. There cannot be any other kind of community, club or group like that.

These thoughts must come under the heading of maudlin'........ :)
As I recall, Kilgore Trout complained publicly about the format change to the site, adverts etc. before leaving. There were a lot of changes when the software changed. The site started offering memberships for $$, too. There could have been other factors. I think Kilgore said something about other people leaving, and that may have been part of it, too. Maybe his favorite posters left?

After the format change the site did a few experimental things. RF tried having a chat room. This was fun, but it had a lot of dead down time. I'm not sure why it was pulled, but it was a little bit of a headache to moderate. It wasn't integrated into the site warning system, and there was little accountability. Users also complained if they got moderated, so...troublesome it was. That may be why it was canceled, or maybe it was costing CPU.

Staff has changed faces. 4consideration stopped moderating and then became an infrequent visitor. So did some others. There was a spree of rapid inductions onto staff just before I started moderating beginning with Iti Oj. I call the succeeding period of rapid change the 'Iti Oj' Period, because Iti Oj who was fairly new joined staff followed by a lot of other new people including me. Iti was very charismatic and impacted things behind the scenes and wanted to do things like have an RF podcast and managed to hustle some people into trying out for a radio style show. He hoped RF would expand into something bigger. He tried hard to convince lots of people that we should have a regular podcast and got many involved. Even I was a guest on his podcast. We had a show for a few months. He couldn't keep people interested in it, and I think this is probably why he left. After a couple of years Iti Oj left, and that transformative period came to an end.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
As I recall, Kilgore Trout complained publicly about the format change to the site, adverts etc. before leaving. There were a lot of changes when the software changed. The site started offering memberships for $$, too. There could have been other factors. I think Kilgore said something about other people leaving, and that may have been part of it, too. Maybe his favorite posters left?

After the format change the site did a few experimental things. RF tried having a chat room. This was fun, but it had a lot of dead down time. I'm not sure why it was pulled, but it was a little bit of a headache to moderate. It wasn't integrated into the site warning system, and there was little accountability. Users also complained if they got moderated, so...troublesome it was. That may be why it was canceled, or maybe it was costing CPU.

Staff has changed faces. 4consideration stopped moderating and then became an infrequent visitor. So did some others. There was a spree of rapid inductions onto staff just before I started moderating beginning with Iti Oj. I call the succeeding period of rapid change the 'Iti Oj' Period, because Iti Oj who was fairly new joined staff followed by a lot of other new people including me. Iti was very charismatic and impacted things behind the scenes and wanted to do things like have an RF podcast and managed to hustle some people into trying out for a radio style show. He hoped RF would expand into something bigger. He tried hard to convince lots of people that we should have a regular podcast and got many involved. Even I was a guest on his podcast. We had a show for a few months. He couldn't keep people interested in it, and I think this is probably why he left. After a couple of years Iti Oj left, and that transformative period came to an end.

All those changes, and there's me just bumbling along with my two posts per day and more or less) totally unaware of all that! :)

Yeah, the ads slowed down my steam powered laptop somewhat, I admit, but slowly the great web hawk of wonders figured out what I buy and now 50% of the adverts are actually useful/interesting. I get the daily gold rates off RF!!! :p

But I'm not responsible in any way for the ladies' underwear ads!!!! :eek:

So many, too many names have slipped on by....... for all I know they got eaten by alligators or something. I must tell my wife that if I croak she must send one last post to whatever thread she can manage to get on (she doesn't know forums at all) and tell that 'Wherever I am, whoever you are, can you tell the bosses that OB's croaked, please? He crashed his electric bike at 30mph the idiot' ....or whatever.
:D

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
All those changes, and there's me just bumbling along with my two posts per day and more or less) totally unaware of all that! :)

Yeah, the ads slowed down my steam powered laptop somewhat, I admit, but slowly the great web hawk of wonders figured out what I buy and now 50% of the adverts are actually useful/interesting. I get the daily gold rates off RF!!! :p

But I'm not responsible in any way for the ladies' underwear ads!!!! :eek:

So many, too many names have slipped on by....... for all I know they got eaten by alligators or something. I must tell my wife that if I croak she must send one last post to whatever thread she can manage to get on (she doesn't know forums at all) and tell that 'Wherever I am, whoever you are, can you tell the bosses that OB's croaked, please? He crashed his electric bike at 30mph the idiot' ....or whatever.
:D
That's a good sport!