• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF and Mental Health

Laika

Premium Member
Hey everyone,

Recently, I've found it difficult to ignore much of the divisive political discussions we've been having on the forum. It's becoming much harder given the situation in the U.S.A and with coronavirus raging. It is particularly difficult given that many of these discussions now deal with life-and-death issues (such as how and why to end lock-down). In the polarised climate that we have today, it's often hard to appreciate nuance and subtly and it very taxing on the nerves and this seems to be a personal trigger for me.

I suspect I'm far from alone in this so I would welcome other people's thoughts on how RF is affecting your mental health at the moment. Are other users having a similar experience and if so, how are you finding ways of coping with it?

Reactions: Jim

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hey everyone,

Recently, I've found it difficult to ignore much of the divisive political discussions we've been having on the forum. It's becoming much harder given the situation in the U.S.A and with coronavirus raging. It is particularly difficult given that many of these discussions now deal with life-and-death issues (such as how and why to end lock-down). In the polarised climate that we have today, it's often hard to appreciate nuance and subtly and it very taxing on the nerves and this seems to be a personal trigger for me.

I suspect I'm far from alone in this so I would welcome other people's thoughts on how RF is affecting your mental health at the moment. Are other users having a similar experience and if so, how are you finding ways of coping with it?

Perhaps you should simply avoid looking in on those particular sub-forums and threads if they are negative triggers for you?

RF isn't affecting my mental health in a negative way. I find it easy to choose whether to engage / disengage / not engage in threads or with particular posters. That may come from past experience on other forums where I spent many an unhappy hour fruitlessly engaging when I shouldn't have.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hey everyone,

Yes, certain people in RF are about to make my mental Heath become worse. And some answers in some threads tell me that, RF is no longer a good place to share spiritual wisdom and understanding of spiritual lifestyle. So maybe no reason to stay here for much longer.

A Vestigial Mote

My activity on this site with respect to reading others replies or responding myself, etc. does not tend to affect me in any palpable way. I realize there are a great many people out there whose ideas and ideals differ greatly from mine. I'm not here to try and save the world, and have no expectations that I am actually going to make a dent. I just read and respond as I see fit, read and respond, rinse and repeat. If these things could phase me, mentally, I would be very concerned indeed.

A Vestigial Mote

Yes, certain people in RF are about to make my mental Heath become worse.
Then you afford them too much power. I believe strongly that you need to think about that. Don't give their words the power and they have none. When I respond in a manner that seems "heated" it is (I swear to you) only really the tiniest blip of divergence from my normal, calm, collected self. Wouldn't even register on a brain-scan, likely. I am a person who has next to zero temper, and huge oceans of patience from which to draw. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I raised my voice even a few decibels.

And some answers in some threads tell me that, RF is no longer a good place to share spiritual wisdom and understanding of spiritual lifestyle. So maybe no reason to stay here for much longer.
Leaving is not the solution. If you leave, I would make sure it is because you are bored with it. Otherwise if it were me, I'd just keep on, especially to make sure I could inure myself to it - become impervious. Get right with my thoughts and blast back at the world with the fury of a thousand suns. Haha... kidding, of course... that's much more fluffy language than I tend to use.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Hey everyone,

As far as the two major political parties in the US goes, you can pretty much call me a political atheist these days. Take the partisanship out, and you take the triggers out.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then you afford them too much power. I believe strongly that you need to think about that. Don't give their words the power and they have none. When I respond in a manner that seems "heated" it is (I swear to you) only really the tiniest blip of divergence from my normal, calm, collected self. Wouldn't even register on a brain-scan, likely. I am a person who has next to zero temper, and huge oceans of patience from which to draw. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I raised my voice even a few decibels.

Leaving is not the solution. If you leave, I would make sure it is because you are bored with it. Otherwise if it were me, I'd just keep on, especially to make sure I could inure myself to it - become impervious. Get right with my thoughts and blast back at the world with the fury of a thousand suns. Haha... kidding, of course... that's much more fluffy language than I tend to use.
The reason i have written the answer the way i did was because RF feels more and more like AF (atheists forum) and there is little to no reason to discuss spiritual lifestyle in here anymore.

A Vestigial Mote

The reason i have written the answer the way i did was because RF feels more and more like AF (atheists forum) and there is little to no reason to discuss spiritual lifestyle in here anymore.
I do realize that is how you feel. Believe me, you have made it more than apparent with all the threads you have started on the topic. If you can't stand the "heat," then it is perhaps time to leave the "kitchen." Myself - when I find I can't stand the heat, I start looking for stronger protective gear, maybe suck on a few ice cubes... and head right back in.

Laika

Premium Member
Yes, certain people in RF are about to make my mental Heath become worse. And some answers in some threads tell me that, RF is no longer a good place to share spiritual wisdom and understanding of spiritual lifestyle. So maybe no reason to stay here for much longer.

I feel the same. Having tried to leave the site before, I am aware how difficult it is to stay away. Temporary breaks from the forum can be helpful in easing that.

But as far as political discussions are concerned, I am regularly questioning the sanity of the members who participate in them and the ability of staff to tolerate the patterns of behaviour which have developed and become unmistakably toxic over the course of recent years. Nor have they got better, but are consistently getting worse and people are just getting bolder is rejecting any and all self-restraint. It's not as if it's one post or another in isolation, but its the daily exposure to a psychotic separation from any reality or conscience and the lack of perspective.

This is not normal and the "tolerance" of users on this site to this kind of content doesn't justify the continuing escalation of efforts to deny the evidence of our own senses or to rationalise dangerous and criminal behaviour.

The problem is having the conviction that it really is everyone else who is crazy and wanting to leave is a healthy and proportionate response and then sustaining it so that you don't come back under any circumstances. If I leave, I'm liable to come back in a few months as if the place will somehow be better. It won't be and the whole process will just start up again. I've done it enough times to recognise the pattern but not to break it. :confused:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do realize that is how you feel. Believe me, you have made it more than apparent with all the threads you have started on the topic. If you can't stand the "heat," then it is perhaps time to leave the "kitchen." Myself - when I find I can't stand the heat, I start looking for stronger protective gear, maybe suck on a few ice cubes... and head right back in.
Well why is it the spiritual people who have to leave a religious forum when it is the atheists who make it uncomfortable to stay there and discuss religious topics. That is my Main rant of the week.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well why is it the spiritual people who have to leave a religious forum when it is the atheists who make it uncomfortable to stay there and discuss religious topics. That is my Main rant of the week.
One must consciously decide which posters to not take seriously.
I have flawed success at this, but it's better than otherwise.
You're just lucky that I haven't tried to convert you to Bokononism.
Sure, proselytizing is against the rules, but it would be worth the
infraction points.

Btw, you must figure out how to cop with RF. It would be a darn
shame if it got you down &/or made you leave. You're one of the
interesting & civil ones here....too darn few of your ilk.

I like the word, "ilk".
It's funny.

Reactions: Jim

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I feel a little bit like people are talking a foreign language in this thread. The words make sense, but I don't really see where anyone is coming from, or why they choose to blame the people for the problems that they do, rather than the people I personally fathom are responsible.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But as for me, I'm a little more equipped to handle going ons this year, than I was last year, I think. I'll consider myself lucky enough if I don't get mauled by a bear, or a Scott.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

What about using the Conversation function more? You can have up to five people in each one and it's private.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But as for me, I'm a little more equipped to handle going ons this year, than I was last year, I think. I'll consider myself lucky enough if I don't get mauled by a bear, or a Scott.
Better than getting mauled by staff.
Their claws are smaller, but more numerous & disease ridden.

A Vestigial Mote

Personally, I'm on the hunt for what I deem displays of poor thinking. I don't shy away from it, don't mind if people think me a "monster" for it. Have at insulting me or painting me with "vice" and "sin" all day long. In the end, I'm still going to challenge you any time I feel you're lacking perspective. Period. I'm not here to feel warm and fuzzy, and I am not here to make friends.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Ignore function. Just sayin'.
Unless I'm on yours in which case I'm sayin nuthin.