• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rewatching "Fiddler on the Roof" helped with reading the Bible

GPV

I love this movie! :woohoo:

It not only gave me a stronger interest in the foundation of the Christian faith, but also it showed me something that I never really got a sense of through the conservative evangelical charismatic churches I've attended for so long... what a personal relationship with God looks like.

Sure I've heard about it from the pulpit and spoken of in a dry and detached way (or at least it was received by me in a dry and detatched way) and I have even had it underscored for me with Scripture of people speaking with God, but it was watching and listening when Tevye spoke to God that really gave me food for thought.

Here was someone who wasn't bowing and scraping before God but talking to Him like a friend or a father. Praising, complaining, joking.

I think when I read the Bible from here on out, I will imagine the people of Fiddler in those stories.. see their faces, hear their voices... It will help make the scripture come more alive.

(Note: my English teachers said for years and years that Shakespeare's plays were flat on the page, and could really only be appreciated when seen on stage. I think so it is too with the Bible.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
GPV said:
... It will help make the scripture come more alive...
That's an awesome way to look at it! A lot of people I know get bogged down in all the 'begats' and 'thou shalt nots', so it's good to hear ways to bring the scriptures alive.:woohoo:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi GPV,

I remember seeing the film when it came out; you're right too, it was a wonderful insight into the life of a Good jew, who was concerned about keeping 'Traditions', confronted by a daughter who was modern and just a little wild(based in the early 1900's if I remember). I think what made that film so special was the Jewish actor Topol, who has such a wonderfully rich voice - I still often sing 'If I was a rich man'.........:)