• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revisiting handheld gaming PCs

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I still don't own a Steam Deck, but if I do get one, I'll have to get at least the 256GB version for my needs, which does cost a bit more.

Having to buy a Windows License is a bummer for what I want to use it for, too. A Windows license isn't included with the Steam Deck.

I'm actually more interested in the Ayn Loki, a device which gets you a Zen 2 CPU and RDNA2 graphics for a little over $299, or an i5 12th generation Intel CPU that can almost compete with the Steam Deck, for about $279-$349. However, the wait to get one is longer than the Steam Deck. :(

By the way, I did state at one point I thought the Steam Deck was similar to a Ryzen 3400G desktop in performance. I now think it's just a little faster than that, more like a good Ryzen 5500U laptop, but not miles ahead of my original prediction either. I do feel it's still really powerful. But I also think that handheld gaming PCs will have to be priced super competitively to garner interest - I feel the Steam Deck is priced a little high, technology is moving so fast, and that some of its other competitors with the exception of Ayn, have missed their mark too, at times charging $1000+ for something that may not have the full functionality and upgradeability of a desktop PC, and should be cheaper due to, in my opinion, probably being easily mass-produced and not as custom-tailored.

PureX

Veteran Member
The last video game I played was Doom, back when you used the keys on the keyboard to control the "shooter". That was probably before some of you all were born. :)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The last video game I played was Doom, back when you used the keys on the keyboard to control the "shooter". That was probably before some of you all were born. :)

I remember Doom. I just didn't really play it much. But I did like it, though. A lot of games were fun back then.

There was a two year stretch of time where I later played Soul Calibur and Powerstone for the Dreamcast, though.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently picked up a G15 Ryzen laptop relatively cheaply. My last laptop ran for over 8 years without a hitch before dying, but it's been nice to be able to ramp up the settings on my Steam Library.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I recently picked up a G15 Ryzen laptop relatively cheaply. My last laptop ran for over 8 years without a hitch before dying, but it's been nice to be able to ramp up the settings on my Steam Library.

That's cool. I'm currently sporting an i5-1135G7 with that special LPDDRxx (fast RAM that's embedded into the motherboard, as opposed to the slower "DDR4" that comes in sticks), as my main.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm using my much more powerful machine to play Battle Brothers. Which doesn't need a powerful machine AT ALL. Like having a sports car to putt down to the corner shop..lol

Been there. I remember when I used to have a high-end machine and would play some little indie game that looked like it could be made to run on the Super Nintendo.