• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

review, 'The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power'

pearl

Just thought for those who might be interested, as for myself I offer no opinion due to lack of familiarity with the latest episode.

But in the first two episodes of “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,” which debut on Amazon this weekend, any such concerns about the quality of the storytelling are very quickly answered. “The Rings of Power” is a confident, well-conceived and often gorgeous addition to the previously adapted work of Tolkien. Beginning about 5,000 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” at a time when Middle-earth has known centuries of peace (after a terrible, centuries-long war), the series follows the creep of evil back into the world, which will eventually lead to the formation of the rings and the destruction of much of the splendor of the world’s civilizations.
Review: ‘The Rings of Power’ will make you want to read Tolkien’s books again | America Magazine

PureX

Veteran Member
I confess that I have never seen any of the Lord of the Rings movie franchise offerings.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I love Tolkien's major works but some of his history sketches did nothing for me. I did love the movies and the college-level how to make a movie extras in the EE editions on disc.

I watched the first of the two episodes a couple of days ago and liked it. It did not grab me the way the LoTR movies did. There was a bit too much "now we'll introduce you to the world of elves/men/..." rather than showing their worlds as the plot unfold.

So, for me, episode 1:

Overall B+
Scenery: A+
Acting: A
Music B
Plot B-

I do plan to watch #2 tonight.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I only watched the first 14 minutes then I lost interest.

I'd put it in a class with big budget but mediocre fanfiction.

I pretty much lost any expectations of quality writing at the "Rocks sink because they look downward, ships float because they look upward" speech about 3 minutes into it (maybe should have spoilered that but like I said it's only 3 minutes into it).

I was also put off by Galadriel's overly confident, cocky attitude. It looks like the writers decided to go with the action hero, afraid-of-nothing, "Hell, danger makes me hot" formula for her character, which is boring.

To me, an engaging movie hero is the character who's just as scared ****less as everybody else but does what needs to be done anyway. It gives the audience somebody to relate to and allows them to go along for the ride, which is exactly what a movie is supposed to do.

I think the LOTR movies captured that perfectly. It's a huge part of what makes them so watchable.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Brother in law watched the first episode. He's a 3D CG artist, his main comment was "you can see where the money went" meaning the graphics are up to and beyond his expectations.

Nimos

Just thought for those who might be interested, as for myself I offer no opinion due to lack of familiarity with the latest episode.

But in the first two episodes of “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,” which debut on Amazon this weekend, any such concerns about the quality of the storytelling are very quickly answered. “The Rings of Power” is a confident, well-conceived and often gorgeous addition to the previously adapted work of Tolkien. Beginning about 5,000 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” at a time when Middle-earth has known centuries of peace (after a terrible, centuries-long war), the series follows the creep of evil back into the world, which will eventually lead to the formation of the rings and the destruction of much of the splendor of the world’s civilizations.
Review: ‘The Rings of Power’ will make you want to read Tolkien’s books again | America Magazine
Think it was pretty awful for the amount of money they have thrown into it.

So much of the writing and dialogue is terrible.
A lot of costumes look rather bad, which is a bit surprising. The scenery looks good, but not enough to carry the show.
The majority of characters so far are kind of boring and on a one-track rail, with little depth to them, which is probably because they are introducing so many that we don't have time to learn about them.

But as some generic fantasy show, I think it is passable. But as Tolkien, I don't think it's doing a good job.

They really have to get things moving soon, because damn it is slow, for people that are not into fantasy stuff, I think will check out very fast.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
LOTR has always been overrated to me, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Tolkein was not a very good writer of character, he was a linguist and a world builder, and following a formula of operatic three part epics which is more about archetypes and grandiose events. When you take that away you get things like Simillarion which is dryer than stale croutons. (He's also really bad at writing female characters but what early 1900's fantasy author wasn't?)

The thing that gives LOTR its feel, I think, is the fact that it's a fantasy post apocalypse. Not like your Mad Max but nevertheless a world where magic is dying, and the story is one more last hurrah to preserve the connection with magic and fight the evil which destroyed it one last time. It has a finality which makes it difficult for a story like Ring of Power to feel connected. Where LOTR is the end of days, Ring of Power is more like Rome in its heyday, and that's going to have a different feel. And that means extra time spent establishing this vastly different time period in this world.

Whether the show ends up managing to stand on its own two feet or not remains to be seen. It's early, so even if it's a character piece it is still just table setting.
It's okay if they start with archetypes, including the cocksure protagonist which is Hero's Journey level of standard adventure fare, and Glarldriel in the actual story is boring as ****, the equivalent of a video game npc with a quest marker. So long as it ends with characters that have had major growth and change. Then they'll have done better than Tolkein did.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I like these long lingering beginnings that set the
stage for later developments. I like the novelty,
the details, the sense of things to come...& in this
show, the majesty of the environment. I'm reminded
of The Wire....all that stage setting bored many, but
I knew the reward awaited later in each season.
The Power Of The Rings is actually starting a bit
quickly for me...I'd rather this first episode be drawn
out into several.

Young whippersnappers these days...no patience.
No savoring the wonderful meandering story.
Of course, not all youngn's suffer from this. I wonder
if nerditude is essential to appreciate the brilliance of
Toliken's work? I recall that trait in fans back in the 60s.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I love Tolkien's major works but some of his history sketches did nothing for me. I did love the movies and the college-level how to make a movie extras in the EE editions on disc.

I watched the first of the two episodes a couple of days ago and liked it. It did not grab me the way the LoTR movies did. There was a bit too much "now we'll introduce you to the world of elves/men/..." rather than showing their worlds as the plot unfold.

So, for me, episode 1:

Overall B+
Scenery: A+
Acting: A
Music B
Plot B-

I do plan to watch #2 tonight.
The acting isn't up to GOT, BB, TW, Ozark, or Deadwood.
But that might change as things develop. I suspect that
actors need things to become compelling to inspire & give
them something to work with. Greatness sometimes
unfolds slowly. Shibumi can be so.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Man puts a metal ring on his finger.

Says in middle Earth are the rings of fire that became metal like the ring I wear.

I don't want my ring to start burning or I'll disappear in magic of evil... otherwise of known man's caused past science evils.

Is why myth stories own a scientific lesson always. Said by not science terms as his human technology but owns scientific warnings.

As man's science never owned natural anything first.

Just like the bible was stated....not really science but known mythical visionary changes.

Scientists then sit and watch the movie thinking they'll learn something new for theory. Yet don't get the message that's old but new. Science destroys life on earth everywhere.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Where LOTR is the end of days, Ring of Power is more like Rome in its heyday, and that's going to have a different feel. And that means extra time spent establishing this vastly different time period in this world.

Good point. And we know where some things are going such as the elf/dwarf combination about building a forge for the ages. So some of the mystery is naturally not there and what remains is showing how they got there.

Greatness sometimes
unfolds slowly

True. I found episode 2 better. Rather than the "now we'll show you" this race/area, the dwarf introduction was an organic part of the plot. And it was fun getting to meet Durin because of course they're called Durin's folk later on although the internet tells me there were a number of rulers named Durin so it's not clear which one we have met.

And I positively loved the totally accurate (in my marriage) bickering with the wife winning. One of the reasons I really like the LoTR movies is the quiet moments with humor and/or wisdom.

My wife who is less of a fan than I am asked me to pull down the LoTR book that has Tolkien's brief description of the Second Age. So that's a marker for her getting hooked on the story.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty bored so far. Forcing myself to watch it anyway, and I really do have to force myself. Haven't made it through an episode in one sitting yet. More like 15 or 20 minute chunks at a time.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, as things are I don't see this series doing well. I think Tolkien fans are going to be offended, and anyone who isn't a Tolkien fan probably isn't into the fantasy genre anyway.

Doesn't leave room for much of an audience.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I may get around to it, but I'm not currently on the service. I don't usually buy less than 35$ anyway from them, so I don't need the prime. (Guess that means they'll soon raise the limit to 45$) I'm kinda hoping there's a new season of Foundation on Apple. Netflix keeps popping out new seasons of things. Hulu is probably making new shows, too.

Meanwhile the Dish Network is fulfilling prophecy: burning bridges, raising prices and getting rid of ad free services. Sometimes tourists wonder if its an alligator or a dinosaur, but its actually a ghost barge slowly drifting and slowly sinking. Its tied up in contracts and can't change, and its the last option people consider when thinking of how to get shows. I remember when Dish was just an investment opportunity that was advertised on network TV. They promised too great a return for too little. That left them with no flexibility, and now they are a zombie company unable to do anything new. All they can do is slave themselves out to the advertiser.

pearl

In the past many years we've tried all the options, for now its hulu, netflix, stars, disney, paramount etc. Am thinking of going back to the antenna. With all the choices the one network I really love, PBS is on neither.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The story is not going anywhere.
It lacks poetry and gravitas. This is a huge problem for a Tolkien inspired work.
And it's extremely scattered. Very few non readers will figure out what, if anything is going on and why to care.