• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reversing Jesus to fit in

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Of course it's sacrilege to portray Jesus as poor/lazy/drunk, and to change his race for wokeness.
OK.
Most Galilean peasants were poor, but they could never have afforded to be lazy. I don't mind imaging a Jesus who was enjoying wine with friends, after all he was asked to produce six large containers of good wine when well in Riva reception. They must have liked their wine, I think. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
View attachment 49433

He never married and had a bunch of dudes who followed him around everywhere hanging on his every word. Makes you think...
Yeah, but there was Magdalene.
He might have married, you know. After all he was in his late twenties when he appears with the Baptist and could have been a widower. I expect that young deaths were quite common back then.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My Jesus is the Jesus that is defined in the Bible and he is the King. :)
OK... But he has do many faces in the gospels.
Soft and tough. Happy and sad. Loving and unloving. Peaceful and aggressive. Merciful and judging. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The question of the kiss on the mouth is still nowadays not very clear.
Mary Magdalene was the favorite disciple of Jesus, who “kissed her on the mouth”. If we read this passage in the first degree, we deduce that they were lovers. But, if we read it in the Gnostic perspective, we know that the kiss symbolizes the breath of the spirit, knowledge. So, the master embraces his disciple to transmit the breath, the spiritual soul. It is a sign of spiritual intimacy and not carnal. As an exchange of breath, it marks communion and reciprocal spiritual regeneration
The Gospel of Philip, "The kiss of Jesus to Mary Magdalene" News
Wow!
I must copy and paste that gospel.
Thank you.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but there was Magdalene.
He might have married, you know. After all he was in his late twenties when he appears with the Baptist and could have been a widower. I expect that young deaths were quite common back then.

But then there was John the beloved disciple.

Maybe he was bi! And/or an early advocate of polyamory!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But then there was John the beloved disciple.

Maybe he was bi! And/or an early advocate of polyamory!
Do you believe Apostle John's claims?

I certainly think that Apostle John did have a good collection of info about Jesus, I do.
But he didn't have the first clue about when anything happened, he clearly thought that casting demons was too common for JC, nothing less that bringing three days dead folks back to life for his report!
Didn't have a clue about when Jesus actually did cause mayhem in the Temple and was determined to push the 'Jesus loved me best' routine.
And the scene at the foot of the cross...... *stunned*

So..... no, I wouldn't judge Jesus by anything that John wrote. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe Apostle John's claims?

I certainly think that Apostle John did have a good collection of info about Jesus, I do.
But he didn't have the first clue about when anything happened, he clearly thought that casting demons was too common for JC, nothing less that bringing three days dead folks back to life for his report!
Didn't have a clue about when Jesus actually did cause mayhem in the Temple and was determined to push the 'Jesus loved me best' routine.
And the scene at the foot of the cross...... *stunned*

So..... no, I wouldn't judge Jesus by anything that John wrote. :)

I don't believe basically anything the Bible claims about Jesus. It's all thoroughly implausible mythology as far as I can see. If there are kernels of accurate information somewhere in any of it, it seems almost entirely speculative to ponder what they might be. But a fun game, I suppose. :)

RestlessSoul

I find this image heartbreakingly beautiful. I've seen the original in St Peter's in Rome, and my mother always had a miniature of it on her dressing table.

Hadn't realised until just now, how widespread the image was, and how many other artists attempted their own version of Pieta (pity).

Screenshot_20210413-130116_Chrome.jpg

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Describe your Jesus, please
My Jesus is how He appeared to me once.

I have never bothered about all this material stuff others superimpose on Jesus

That's only mental imagination, which we will never know for sure, unless Jesus appears to you and tells you, or if we become Omniscient. But my Master told us that humans never can achieve Omniscience while on earth.

And asking Jesus whether or not He had sex 2000 years ago won't make it to the top of my 'to ask list' when He would Grant me the opportunity to ask 1 question. Seems so not relevant to me

I usually don't think about stuff in the past, which I can never verify myself. History was always my worst subject in school

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't believe basically anything the Bible claims about Jesus. It's all thoroughly implausible mythology as far as I can see. If there are kernels of accurate information somewhere in any of it, it seems almost entirely speculative to ponder what they might be. But a fun game, I suppose. :)
Fair enough.
What we believe about anything is our privilege.
I guess I could have studied the life of Alfred the Great instead, but that just didn't happen. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My Jesus is how He appeared to me once.

I have never bothered about all this material stuff others superimpose on Jesus

That's only mental imagination, which we will never know for sure, unless Jesus appears to you and tells you, or if we become Omniscient. But my Master told us that humans never can achieve Omniscience while on earth.

And asking Jesus whether or not He had sex 2000 years ago won't make it to the top of my 'to ask list' when He would Grant me the opportunity to ask 1 question. Seems so not relevant to me

I usually don't think about stuff in the past, which I can never verify myself. History was always my worst subject in school
OK.
If Jesus is omniscient then it won't matter what he liked for breakfast, or if he had a girlfriend!
I'd go and hide......
Booming voice in the sky calls out 'OB!!! Where are youuuu?'
Yuk........ :p

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
OK.
If Jesus is omniscient then it won't matter what he liked for breakfast, or if he had a girlfriend!
I'd go and hide......
Booming voice in the sky calls out 'OB!!! Where are youuuu?'
Yuk........ :p
Yes, kind of scary idea/feeling, someone knowing everything what is going on in your mind
@stvdvRF
Sometimes Atheists ask "proof of God"
Below video shows HowTo get your proof
(Info is clear, so I won't give any more details)

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, kind of scary idea/feeling, someone knowing everything what is going on in your mind
As a Deist I might have to wait billions of years, if ever, for any further life.
But time would pass as if in a split second, if Muhammad' s story of the cave is correct.

Clara Tea

I'm not going to choose any images of Jesus, so if you would enter 'Jesus' in to your favoured search engine and click on images, then you can choose the picture of Jesus that feels most comfortable for you. Or will you do your best to research images of early 1st century Galilean peasants?

Peasant! How many folks object to that word! For many people Jesus was no peasant but a middle class skilled person! Research shows that in early 1st century Galilee there was no middle class. So what social position for Jesus would suit you best?

Over recent days I've followed a heated debate on a Christian forum about what Jesus chose to drink! Somebody had described Prince Philip, his Mum in-law, his family et all as a bunch of drunken layabouts, and when another member mentioned that Jesus (and his Mother) enjoyed wine and meat, certainly causing the Baptist some concerns..... well the objections flew in!

And property! I recently read the delightful suggestion that Jesus was a house owner. So I am guessing that somebody needed Jesus to own property, important for their feel-good factor in preference to camels getting stuck in needle eyes.

One Church searched for any reasons which might support galloping mammon and finally fixed upon the premise that Jesus owned his own clothes!

And Jesus in love. Do you allow the idea that Jesus ever (or never) loved a woman? One Apostle seems to want to paint the image of himself as a young man layed across the breast of Jesus, might that fit more easily for you?

And it goes on.... Jesus the warrior. Jesus the Puritan!. Jesus the loving. Jesus the Judge!. Jesus the executioner! Jesus the ........ fill in this space.

So here it is!

Describe your Jesus, please.

Royal family as drunken layabouts? We are not emus (amused, as Victoria said).

Jesus owned clothes (aha....excess). Something tells me that church will be a lot different if they dress as Jains.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Jesus. A living spiritual human man. Not owning the name Jesus. Looks similar to a spiritual pre drawn human man spiritual self. I look at the pre drawn spiritual man image. My brother expressed spirituality whilst living.

As a loving man human.

I said looks just like Jesus the spiritual man but is not Jesus. What my thoughts quote. Human.

Seen several males who I thought looked like a living spiritual man like the Jesus man living human portrayal.