• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revelation after conversion

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was thinking during prayer this morning, so this isnt the usual RF question though may be repeated, that when someone who doesnt believe in the supernatural (I'll say) and they convert to a religion or spiritual path that, by its core and practoce, involves the supernatural how does this person "automatically" believe it is real?

My RF questions never have hidden meanings in regards to talking about myaelf through third person. Its a general question or you can add your experience or opinion.​

If not by revelation, how does a person just all of the sudden Know (not believe and not make symbolizations) some 'thing' not just someone we call outside the natural world is real when just a month ago, say, we did not at all believe such a thing?

Is it by revelation? Did you say "okay. Now I know there is more to the world than meets the eye? What is behind the logic that brought you to the practice you adopted today?

:herb:

Ive always knew spirits exist ever since chilehood. I wasnt indoctrinated. It was natural and everyday thing. We lived with spirits just as family members who needed a place to stay.

I didnt know how supernatural if was until I reached school and didnt understans that point of view to an extent until I had the internet for the first time 1999ish.

After time of practicing what my mother said was witchcraft and hearing stories about the spirits, after my surgery I had clinia depression. A lot of the things I knew were true became doubts because I noticed people question things that were not in my mind to question.

Mother took us to church but I wasnt christian at heart. You gues know that I was Catholic for four years. I didnt know I had labels until RF.

Then I look back...

How did I believe in spirits and the supernatural? I still do but I live alone so the spirits dont come often unless I call them or observe my environment and my place in it. It seems I have lossed thst a bit. Thats not why I am atheist. Atheist means disbelief in deities not the superntural.

If you did not believe in the supernatural and now you do, what was the logic or how did you come to that realization that the supernatural is real and it is a fact? Not symbolism but real life?

Anything or anyone.

Nam.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I was thinking during prayer this morning, so this isnt the usual RF question though may be repeated, that when someone who doesnt believe in the supernatural (I'll say) and they convert to a religion or spiritual path that, by its core and practoce, involves the supernatural how does this person "automatically" believe it is real?

My RF questions never have hidden meanings in regards to talking about myaelf through third person. Its a general question or you can add your experience or opinion.​

If not by revelation, how does a person just all of the sudden Know (not believe and not make symbolizations) some 'thing' not just someone we call outside the natural world is real when just a month ago, say, we did not at all believe such a thing?

Is it by revelation? Did you say "okay. Now I know there is more to the world than meets the eye? What is behind the logic that brought you to the practice you adopted today?

Ive always knew spirits exist ever since chilehood. I wasnt indoctrinated. It was natural and everyday thing. We lived with spirits just as family members who needed a place to stay.

I didnt know how supernatural if was until I reached school and didnt understans that point of view to an extent until I had the internet for the first time 1999ish.

After time of practicing what my mother said was witchcraft and hearing stories about the spirits, after my surgery I had clinia depression. A lot of the things I knew were true became doubts because I noticed people question things that were not in my mind to question.

Mother took us to church but I wasnt christian at heart. You gues know that I was Catholic for four years. I didnt know I had labels until RF.

Then I look back...

How did I believe in spirits and the supernatural? I still do but I live alone so the spirits dont come often unless I call them or observe my environment and my place in it. It seems I have lossed thst a bit. Thats not why I am atheist. Atheist means disbelief in deities not the superntural.

If you did not believe in the supernatural and now you do, what was the logic or how did you come to that realization that the supernatural is real and it is a fact? Not symbolism but real life?

Anything or anyone.

Nam.
Hi, Carlita!

For me, it boils down to what I experience--the actual experience and memory of it, not the interpretation/understanding/context I (or others) would try to fit it into. It has taken most of my life to be able to just accept the experiences and what they directly imply about the world, instead of trying to fit it into some existing belief structure. For example, at age 11, I had a premonition experience that at the time, because I went to church regularly and considered myself to be Christian, I thought was God, or perhaps, an angel, telling me to be wary. Now I interpret it more simply: the spirits (a generic catch-all sense here, because I don't know which one/which kind, nor is it important; and I often just say "the universe") gave me warning about what was going to happen that day, so I could make a choice.

Because I don't go in for complicated models of reality, I became an animist...based on my experiences.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can't agree any more.
For me, it boils down to what I experience--the actual experience and memory of it, not the interpretation/understanding/context I (or others) would try to fit it into.

Experience is probably the biggest ways of knowing what we believe or adopt as fact is indeed true enough to make it our faith-our life. I had a couple of experiences myself and most recent one made my belief in spirits a fact. It was like someone knocked me over the head and said "you know there are many spirits here watching over you" type of thing. I never really thought of calling myself an animist; and, that's pretty much the consensus when doing rituals and such. Using objects not because of the object itself or symbol of what it means but because the object-depending on what it is--has a spirit that benefits the ritual experience. If that makes sense?

In other words, I agree with ya.

Because I don't go in for complicated models of reality, I became an animist...based on my experiences.

Exactly. I call it life. :)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I can't agree any more.

Experience is probably the biggest ways of knowing what we believe or adopt as fact is indeed true enough to make it our faith-our life. I had a couple of experiences myself and most recent one made my belief in spirits a fact. It was like someone knocked me over the head and said "you know there are many spirits here watching over you" type of thing. I never really thought of calling myself an animist; and, that's pretty much the consensus when doing rituals and such. Using objects not because of the object itself or symbol of what it means but because the object-depending on what it is--has a spirit that benefits the ritual experience. If that makes sense?

In other words, I agree with ya.

Exactly. I call it life. :)
I can certainly go with that!

zahra67

Then I look back...

Anything or anyone.

Nam.
we can feel God even in our daily life.
he is infinite merciful and when we consider his bounties, we can recognize him and his infinite affectionate and mercy.

please read this book and God bless you!Understanding God's Mercy, Part 1

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Then I look back...

Anything or anyone.

Nam.
How do you see a spirit? I never see one. :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How do you see a spirit? I never see one. :(

Shrugs. How I describe it, looks just like a human who got lost in one place. I only saw him once. After that, most spirits I felt. After surgery, I guess when I got older (after 18) the experiences vanished. After my grandmother passed away it came back quite strongly just not as often. Nowadays it's someone interacting with you or something.

I kinda gave up explaining it since it is dissolving from my memory more and more.