• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revelation 21:1

Faithofchristian

Revelation 21:1--"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the
first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea"

Upon reading this, What do you make of it?

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
I think you need to add the rest to make sense of the context. The key to decipher the meaning of that verse in actually in verse 4:

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. 2 I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes,+ and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.The former things have passed away.”

There is a lot of symbolism in those verses. The physical earth and ocean are not going to disappear, but the way things are done over here is going to change radically. Revelation is a book of prophecy that lists a number of events that will culminate in the elimination of human governments and the coming of Jesus Christ as a King who will rule over the heavens and the earth.
The "new heaven" refers to that new kingdom and the "new earth" to a new human society that that will be in subjection of Jesus as a King.

Faithofchristian

I think you need to add the rest to make sense of the context. The key to decipher the meaning of that verse in actually in verse 4:

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. 2 I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes,+ and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.The former things have passed away.”

There is a lot of symbolism in those verses. The physical earth and ocean are not going to disappear, but the way things are done over here is going to change radically. Revelation is a book of prophecy that lists a number of events that will culminate in the elimination of human governments and the coming of Jesus Christ as a King who will rule over the heavens and the earth.
The "new heaven" refers to that new kingdom and the "new earth" to a new human society that that will be in subjection of Jesus as a King.

Revelation 21:1, seeing that John speaks of the first heaven and the first earth,
In the nature in the way John is speaking,
To have a first heaven and first earth,
Then there must a second to have a first.

Verse 2, is after what John saw in Verse 1,
In Verse 1, John describing what he saw of the first heaven and the first earth.

And then in Verse 2, John describing the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven"
Which has nothing to do with Verse 1.

From Verse 2 to Verse 27, has nothing to do with Verse 1.
In Verse 1, John describing how the first heaven and the first earth pass away and there was no more sea. Seeing there was no more sea, This is indication that John is not talking about the earth that we live in, because the earth we live in has sea.

Therefore seeing there was a first heaven and a first earth, Then there would be a second to have a first.

In the nature of what John is saying, John is not talking about the heaven and earth and sea which is now.
But about the first heaven and the first earth.

That's right that the former first heaven and the first earth pass away. Leaving heaven and Earth in it's second stage. Which is now.

Last edited:

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

My best guess is he'd probably been out in the Greek sun to long

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
If I write a book and throughout its pages mention, "This book is true" does that make it true??

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
It is paraphrased of Isaiah 65:17-19...

Reality is about to be destroyed, and after the Godly shall no longer die, yet shall be like angels on earth, when it is reset to being like the Garden of Eden.

Need more information to your question, to make it more relevant to what you want to understand.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

pertains to self. the tabernacle, or temple, is now men.

in the twinkling of an eye all we be changed.

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Reality is about to be destroyed, and after the Godly shall no longer die, yet shall be like angels on earth, when it is reset to being like the Garden of Eden.

Need more information to your question, to make it more relevant to what you want to understand.

9 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: = ehyeh asher ehyeh

Faithofchristian

pertains to self. the tabernacle, or temple, is now men.

in the twinkling of an eye all we be changed.

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Can you explain exactly what that has to do with Revelation 21:1.
And how exactly that fits into
Seeing how Revelation 21:1, has nothing at all to do with what your saying.

Faithofchristian

Nope not at all does Revelation 21:1 have anything to do with Isaiah 65:17-19.

Nor does Isaiah 65:17-19, have anything to do with Revelation 21:1.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Can you explain exactly what that has to do with Revelation 21:1.
And how exactly that fits into
Seeing how Revelation 21:1, has nothing at all to do with what your saying.
oh but it does. there are zombies roaming the earth.

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

again the dead being raised to everlasting life is a tumultuous experience for the person giving birth to the spirit. the sun shines, the moon, the stars twinkle but they do not reveal the mystery from their external light; which comes from deep darkness.

Daniel 2:22
He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

why bother having the experience of revelation?

37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

1 Corinthians 4:5
Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the lightof the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:19
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

outlawState

Deism is dead
This has to do with the vanity (superficiality/perversity/bondage) of the present creature or creation and its redemption by means of a new earth and a new heaven, along with the final redemption of those who will be saved by being given new heavenly bodies.

Rom 8:18 - Roms 8:22

Incidentally "there will be no more sea" infers that there will be no more abyss, sea monsters, or means of, or reason for, concealment. The sea was regarded as a dangerous place, the abode of demons and dark forces. Everything will be known and disclosed, consistent with the abode of the children of light.

Faithofchristian

oh but it does. there are zombies roaming the earth.

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

again the dead being raised to everlasting life is a tumultuous experience for the person giving birth to the spirit. the sun shines, the moon, the stars twinkle but they do not reveal the mystery from their external light; which comes from deep darkness.

Daniel 2:22
He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

why bother having the experience of revelation?

37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

1 Corinthians 4:5
Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the lightof the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:19
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

You miss it again, everything that you have given, has nothing to do with
Revelation 21:1,
Instead of going to other books of the bible, try explaining what John is talking about in Revelation 21:1, that would be a good place to start with.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

A debate would be where you offer some reasoning that shows they're not paraphrasing each other, with the same criteria being discussed; otherwise you're entitled to your own beliefs.

Instead of going to other books of the bible, try explaining Revelation 21:1, what John is talking about. That's a good place to start with.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Instead of going to other books of the bible, try explaining Revelation 21:1
The Bible works as a tapestry, if we read one thread out of contexts, we end up with bad exegesis.
what John is talking about. That's a good place to start with.
It is a massive topic, be more specific with what you were asking for to begin.

Revelation discussed the world being destroyed, and that bad things came out of the Sea; so it is then logical that there will then be a new earth created, where the saints will reign with God (Israel).

Faithofchristian

The Bible works as a tapestry, if we read one thread out of contexts, we end up with bad exegesis.

It is a massive topic, be more specific with what you were asking for to begin.

Revelation discussed the world being destroyed, and that bad things came out of the Sea; so it is then logical that there will then be a new earth created, where the saints will reign with God (Israel).

Here's what I given in the Thread.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea"

Upon reading this, What do you make of it

John said, he saw a new heaven and a new earth.
Then John said, for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away,
What does John mean by ( the first heaven and the first earth pass away?

The first heaven and the first earth, was before this heaven and Earth came into existence.
The first heaven and the first earth, is where the dinosaurs bones came from.

This was way before any human beings or anything that we have in this earth existed.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You miss it again, everything that you have given, has nothing to do with
Revelation 21:1,
Instead of going to other books of the bible, try explaining what John is talking about in Revelation 21:1, that would be a good place to start with.

i already have. who was the revelation for? someone else? or self? are those who have rejected god's presence in self, that can't understand, can't see because they look outside of self by the light of the sun, moon, or stars. the new heaven and new earth is seeing self as one with the whole and not separated from it. seeing by the light of christ; which illuminates.

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

self was made in the image of God.

where is the ark of the covenant now? where is the true temple of God? what is the city jerusalem set on a hill; if not self? isn't there 7 churches related to the body as a whole?

you have assigned god to anywhere and everywhere else but self.

god is omnipresent in heaven and earth. god is not separate from self except self keeps turning away from seeing self as a reflection of the whole.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

this is the realization of eternal life

Oneness or Gospel of Thomas 18

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

i already have. who was the revelation for? someone else? or self? are those who have rejected god's presence in self, that can't understand, can't see because they look outside of self by the light of the sun, moon, or stars. the new heaven and new earth is seeing self as one with the whole and not separated from it. seeing by the light of christ; which illuminates.

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

self was made in the image of God.

where is the ark of the covenant now? where is the true temple of God? what is the city jerusalem set on a hill; if not self? isn't there 7 churches related to the body as a whole?

you have assigned god to anywhere and everywhere else but self.

god is omnipresent in heaven and earth. god is not separate from self except self keeps turning away from seeing self as a reflection of the whole.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

this is the realization of eternal life

Oneness or Gospel of Thomas 18

Can you give in the Bible exactly where it's written, that God as being omniscient as you say. Where exactly is that written at.
Man's teachings will tell you God is omniscient, but then I do not follow man's teachings.

Still you gave nothing that fits with
Revelation 21:1.

What you don't realize it that Christ Jesus has already given the interpretation of the book of Revelation himself.
Christ Jesus is not leaving it to man to do the interpretation of the book of Revelation. What he has already done himself.
This is why throughout the book of Revelation,You will find the angel of God's saying to John, "Come an see, it show you the Mystery"
Therefore the book of Revelation has already been interpreted by God.

Last edited: