• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return to normalcy

Viker

Häxan
Things seem to be getting back to something resembling normal in my town. I haven't seen this level of activity or enthusiasm in way over a year. So, what's it like where you are?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
People are getting out more. I am listening to fireworks go off as we speak. I still see people wearing masks, but obviously they are out too. More traffic. Some things are definitely a good sign.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In Iowa, there was a small period of shut down, and then many demands from state government that we come out of hiding, for the sake of the economy, dammit! There were mandates placed that cities couldn't mandate masks. At first, schools could, but eventually mandates were put in place that schools couldn't mandate masks. Iowa was one of the states that showed you what not to do(and we bounced around in the top per capita numbers for awhile).

We've been 'back to normal' for quite awhile now. You see few masks(except on my face, as a public service). The whole situation makes me remember why I was usually deterred by the 'normal'.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We had major scale shut downs in Washington. Now it is as you pointed out almost back to normal. Businesses can opt, but are not required, to allow maskless people. It is supposed to be on the honor system. The problem is that most people that go without masks appear to look like anti-vaxxers to me. Even though I do go without one myself. The local Safeway allows and seems to encourage their employees that have had both vaccinations and can prove it to go maskless. That is a form of leading by example.

June 30'th we are supposed to be fully open.

I do worry a bit since the progress seems to have stalled. It would be nice if another 10% got vaccinated.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm seeing more people without masks in establishments now, and folks seem to be easing up on how they regard folks without masks. They are still required in restaurants.

As for myself, I am fully vaccinated, but I still wear a mask. I realize I probably don't need to worry about it as much as I did before, but I do work directly with covid patients, so I will still remain a little cautious yet. I'll probably be one of the last folks to stop wearing one. When I feel enough people have been vaccinated, I may stop then.

I still may wear one if I get sick in the future, though. I'll be getting some weird looks and comments, but at least I won't be getting people sick. :D

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
They are still required in restaurants.

I fully support the wearing of masks, but the restaurant bit has confused me a bit. One can't eat with a mask on, and few people shovel the food in without talking... so if folks take 45 minutes to finish a meal they're grazing on, what difference does the 15 minutes before and the walk out the door matter?

Not saying we shouldn't try, and honestly, its best to be as cautious as you can.... just saying this one has me scratching my head. Many restaurants put up plexiglass in between booths, and spread people out, and that seemed to make sense to me.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I fully support the wearing of masks, but the restaurant bit has confused me a bit. One can't eat with a mask on, and few people shovel the food in without talking... so if folks take 45 minutes to finish a meal they're grazing on, what difference does the 15 minutes before and the walk out the door matter?

Not saying we shouldn't try, and honestly, its best to be as cautious as you can.... just saying this one has me scratching my head. Many restaurants put up plexiglass in between booths, and spread people out, and that seemed to make sense to me.

What's not to understand?

Jeremiah Ames

Things seem to be getting back to something resembling normal in my town. I haven't seen this level of activity or enthusiasm in way over a year. So, what's it like where you are?

pretty normal here, except for doctors offices

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's a tug o war between unvaccinated and vaccinated.

Get vaccinated, you dont have to wear a mask at eating establishments anymore.

darkskies

Almost the same as before. New wave approaching, but people don't care as much anymore. Streets crowding slightly. Shops still mostly empty. Still, cases gonna rise again. As for me, I'll stay safe at home 24/7. Here we go again!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We order everything online, so I dont even do that. I wonder how much it affects my health.

I've started ordering more online than I did before, but there's a lot of stuff I can't do that with.

Honestly, I can't say life before the pandemic was much different. I've always kind of been a shut in, whether I liked it or not. The biggest difference is we're homeschooling now(and that's a big difference), and we canceled our gym membership and got the internet.

I don't know how these things affect health... I guess we'll find out!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That must be hard-

Yes and no.

Its nice not to have to worry about obtaining specific clothes for school, prying unwilling kids out of bed at an early hour, and dealing with behavior issues while not physically there. Its also nice to be able to choose curriculum that is both useful and appropriate for my middle son(the oldest is doing virtual, and the youngest is a toddler). The schools weren't always great at that... it was so much worry about how things looked for data collection, but very little care to if the information he was receiving was relevant and helpful(he has special needs, and it was more about keeping up with the class than how well he was absorbing/using information).

Though it stinks because on the days that I would get a note home that he spent the day kicking his staff and rubbing glue into the floor... well, now I'm the staff and the floor is mine. But ultimately, its been worth it. He went from communicating with a picture book to speaking within a few months of being home after Covid hit.

darkskies

Yes and no.

Its nice not to have to worry about obtaining specific clothes for school, prying unwilling kids out of bed at an early hour, and dealing with behavior issues while not physically there. Its also nice to be able to choose curriculum that is both useful and appropriate for my middle son(the oldest is doing virtual, and the youngest is a toddler). The schools weren't always great at that... it was so much worry about how things looked for data collection, but very little care to if the information he was receiving was relevant and helpful(he has special needs, and it was more about keeping up with the class than how well he was absorbing/using information).

Though it stinks because on the days that I would get a note home that he spent the day kicking his staff and rubbing glue into the floor... well, now I'm the staff and the floor is mine. But ultimately, its been worth it. He went from communicating with a picture book to speaking within a few months of being home after Covid hit.
That's good, then. I'm glad it's working out for him. Take care.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
California is open with only a few restrictions such as doctor's offices requiring masks.

Given the new version of delta, we personally are not eating inside a restaurant but we've had takeout a couple of times.

We're wearing masks when shopping indoors as an added precaution.

And I'm still tracking the illness, hospital and vaccination web pages for our county to see if we start seeing a serious spike.