• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rethinking gun ownership...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just be sure to check your local laws.
In some places, pistol grips on shotguns are illegal.
LOL!! This is Indiana! A pistol grip on a shotgun just turns the shotgun into a pistol. But, from what he said, the tactical stock is illegal for hunting.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
This has turned into quite a fun, albeit expensive, hobby. There are a number of 80% firearms that you can buy over the interwebs with no FFL needed. You buy a jig to help you finish the machining process and you can have a firearm without going through a background check. No serial number, no government record and it's all completely legal. I want to do this just to do this. I've got my eye on a 10/22 receiver machined from a brass billet. Add a natural wood stock, brass trigger, SS 20" fluted barrel and a SS bolt and that would be a right handsome weapon. I haven't decided on the stock yet, as there are so many options. I'm not sure this is cheaper at all, especially if you go with higher end parts.

Back to 80% guns, you can buy AR15s, AR10s, 10/22s, 1911s and a glock clone in almost finished condition. I would love to be able to do a build on a S&W Victory or a Ruger Mark IV which are 22 target pistols. It's where I need the most work.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This has turned into quite a fun, albeit expensive, hobby. There are a number of 80% firearms that you can buy over the interwebs with no FFL needed. You buy a jig to help you finish the machining process and you can have a firearm without going through a background check. No serial number, no government record and it's all completely legal. I want to do this just to do this. I've got my eye on a 10/22 receiver machined from a brass billet. Add a natural wood stock, brass trigger, SS 20" fluted barrel and a SS bolt and that would be a right handsome weapon. I haven't decided on the stock yet, as there are so many options. I'm not sure this is cheaper at all, especially if you go with higher end parts.

Back to 80% guns, you can buy AR15s, AR10s, 10/22s, 1911s and a glock clone in almost finished condition. I would love to be able to do a build on a S&W Victory or a Ruger Mark IV which are 22 target pistols. It's where I need the most work.
If you keep this gun talk up, someone will soon point at your privates, & yell.....

wigflip-ds.gif

th

Scuba Pete

If you keep this gun talk up, someone will soon point at your privates, & yell.....

wigflip-ds.gif

th
Says the man with the steroidal arms. Imagine that.

With that, I'm headed to the range. I might head up to Orlando next week and will check out some gun shops before I head north to go cave dive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Says the man with the steroidal arms. Imagine that.

With that, I'm headed to the range. I might head up to Orlando next week and will check out some gun shops before I head north to go cave dive.
On a serious note.....
Be sure to get coaching.

Scuba Pete

What a fun day at the range. Got to meet a few new friends and see some interesting firearms. I got to watch a guy shoot a card in two side ways from 50 yards with a custom built rifle. It was his own design, his own manufacture and it was beautiful. He has been an unlimited shooting competitor for most of his like. Wow. His groupings of three are but a single hole in the center of each one inch target. It looks like someone with a CNC drill press had drilled the target. He had to leave to help a buddy's wife who had an accident. I had finished with my rifle and had just broken out my SA 1911 and was invited to do a "walk shoot". I never caught the real name. There was a line about 20 ft long about 15 yards from three silhouettes. You shot as you moved down the line and it was timed. I had 2 pops in each silhouette and two unaccounted. I was surprised I did as well. Then a bunch of people showed up so we had to give them room. I want to do that again! It looks like I ended the year on a good note. I'll be bringing in the New Year diving tomorrow. :D :D :D

Scuba Pete

I've really been working diligently on target acquisition, aiming and squeezing the trigger without flinching. This past weekend I finally got a bipod for my AR10 and was able to dial in my sights just a tad bit closer. Here is my last three shot grouping @ 50 yards on a 4 inch target. Yes, there are only two holes. I'm pretty stoked about that. The biggest problem? My red dot is a 3 MOA and covered the entire bullseye. I got a true scope in and will see if I can dial this in anymore. Not bad for a military weapon that has had little done to it to make it more accurate.

4ICEjpAPGFd7NgvS-ptZCxqo_twGAq8MrOx74I7HR6pR2IPqxcZy85mXHx4oXo5cA4-AtANO0YEVyeM0fwmeWwyWjQMMLpM7METBzuT7cxMLcvLV3Eh9O7RwsfMk4NJr9aFW2lOJacGje9cbQdwOFp079TazN8k-_FNBQDcANEe4Ai_Ivbdf7uGyyFiUi-M_GpjygXv1B2nA6Lg0iYDExbuRcP9wzl59cK-nlJbcGDqBC9K3KuPgS6wtEq5ExJRgrVy0-r1ZwdeFsSaAfMrGU4CYKAxdKI3my-YMFwa0YyLkPA2cESy5RkeR78K3OhU5L9DRk49CTGr_zotGWdPortG0zWpC1Eo2LkPiFDXHKS7TdRnqM_sYG2lLHBMXVWzJTycjO9Ym9tjr0_d_H67-L62ITB3UVSlmEn7bLoQoQswgRTIitrCYjL7NYMf6ZtWX1-Q7TF1jTr2vDncLHiYZqlZ3vM_X_pVN3-vXJf6JJ8IiEHurm9x4L5LNEcdX7b7HRhuhyqr7n4nJiL62iPn-B6RDcn2rNrPGi2gUbVPV1msXoVdvZdl7y9h0g3AUFjxsIoLsQC9o_q-1U2stacpKgBaURhYJnkZ6MpWfA4A0Kowt47Z0XZW1=w666-h887-no

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've really been working diligently on target acquisition, aiming and squeezing the trigger without flinching. This past weekend I finally got a bipod and was able to dial in my sights just a tad bit closer. Here is my last three shot grouping 2 50 yards on a 4 inch target. Yes, there are only two holes. I'm pretty stoked about that.

4ICEjpAPGFd7NgvS-ptZCxqo_twGAq8MrOx74I7HR6pR2IPqxcZy85mXHx4oXo5cA4-AtANO0YEVyeM0fwmeWwyWjQMMLpM7METBzuT7cxMLcvLV3Eh9O7RwsfMk4NJr9aFW2lOJacGje9cbQdwOFp079TazN8k-_FNBQDcANEe4Ai_Ivbdf7uGyyFiUi-M_GpjygXv1B2nA6Lg0iYDExbuRcP9wzl59cK-nlJbcGDqBC9K3KuPgS6wtEq5ExJRgrVy0-r1ZwdeFsSaAfMrGU4CYKAxdKI3my-YMFwa0YyLkPA2cESy5RkeR78K3OhU5L9DRk49CTGr_zotGWdPortG0zWpC1Eo2LkPiFDXHKS7TdRnqM_sYG2lLHBMXVWzJTycjO9Ym9tjr0_d_H67-L62ITB3UVSlmEn7bLoQoQswgRTIitrCYjL7NYMf6ZtWX1-Q7TF1jTr2vDncLHiYZqlZ3vM_X_pVN3-vXJf6JJ8IiEHurm9x4L5LNEcdX7b7HRhuhyqr7n4nJiL62iPn-B6RDcn2rNrPGi2gUbVPV1msXoVdvZdl7y9h0g3AUFjxsIoLsQC9o_q-1U2stacpKgBaURhYJnkZ6MpWfA4A0Kowt47Z0XZW1=w666-h887-no
For your marked improvement, you get a reward.....
Amazon.com: Donald Trump Silver 2016 Presidential Liberty Replica Coin: Toys & Games

Scuba Pete

Changed out optics today. I went from a red dot/3x magnifyer to a 2.5-10x traditional scope. Not much of an improvement over a couple of days ago. However, one of the range rats was also shooting an AR-10 and invited me to squeeze off a couple of rounds.

WOW!

It was a shorter barrel with no tripod, so the groupings weren't quite as nice, but the trigger was glass. I was impressed. I was way impressed. It was a drop in trigger assembly, so I went ahead and ordered one this afternoon. My trigger pull is just over 6 lbs while his was 2 lbs 15 oz and incredibly crisp. I'll be in Cayman Brac all next week for a ScubaBoard event but I'm looking forward to playing with it when I get back.

Also, in a stroke of idiocy, I'm ordering an %80 lower receiver tor a 10/22 rifle. This is not quite a firearm as it's only %80 complete. It's the Gun Industry's way of getting around the FFL requirement. So you but the receiver, do a bit of light machining (drilling) and then assemble your firearm with the parts you want. I'll probably spend over twice what I can buy a 10/22 for, but I won't have to worry about upgrading the parts. I'll put in just what I want. No extra parts left over like I have from upgrading my 1911.

Scuba Pete

So far, I've restored a pistol that didn't work properly, and bought/sited in a brand new Diamondback AR10 rifle with optics. My next project will be to build a 10/22 using an 80% receiver. If you aren't familiar with them, %80 receivers are a way to get around get around using a Federal Firearms License. You get the part that still needs some machining. In this case, I'll have to drill a dozen holes (one kind of large) and tap three of them. The majority of these receivers are made from an aluminum billet. I chose one made out of brass, a wooden stock with a Stainless Steel 24" fluted bull barrel. The brass on wood looks way awesome and the SS barrel will set it off. I'll be getting in the rest of the parts between now and next Wednesday. I'll start the machining process in the morning, but I doubt it will take more than a half hour to finish off the receiver. Drill the 3/4" hole for the barrel with be the most critical step, but I'm confident that the jig will work wonders.

IObY7L8DrHgvLfqMGTK_dIPudKXmAUxMHM1qNNnHg-XaSXgZhf0TWkD1qU-tRqbi5zfm9SDfB2xLdZ4t9h9pMU7wy8v8nQiq5sOWsYNnNWqfs9hqK3pucdT2qwk2BXQk2NG_kD2v-pErtlSPtQItVro1Iuo79aVrsVb3Wh5rU1klFW9WbiHSkWqB4yTjfQL0Ld6wTQFV0t2OWii5dC5NUXv42d6ej45DD_Ou1eP-mDWQSNLWrvbR3XErviRskfbft1ZuM8W_x6ZE0OzqF4P9jnvs9vJtNcC4JcDcxomDmuO44EYyCa1FX_V6-qxuEWgeaKOO9N5uVEyXOV_e4A04OTl-cHKkrmT-YO2R3yKSESm_3TTOl75QVUfiqasZNKNsXz6EiwWGSjaF_dVbJCIjdBc890lFzl9_dPolE3FNM4PT2I6JaAhphQ9RNNP_OHnxoqts1sqjoQfVPXyCORwwapVu-Dvd7NnewFgaNIVopN3RilSfgk59Tk3BWcD4Y7K9wj4szIaqghrMY_65MToft9WoTsB6SaoKJj3IevtDbf4HlQCX9jUqmJqB00oBDNL1T_pusU6aTJqLD0op41_o-8QvYz3gNukn2YSh9OAQFm0JUi7A8QBp=w1184-h887-no

The Stock, brass receiver, SS fluted barrel, jigs and tools to finish the job.
Oh yeah, everything I need to start reloading is in. Unfortunately, my van is in the body shop. I was attacked by a tree during a storm up in N Florida. I left it for them to work on while I was in Cayman Brac, but it's taking them TWO WEEKS to get it done. ARRRRRGH! I'm tired of waiting on them to finish. Some of the parts I need to reload are in that van.​

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So far, I've restored a pistol that didn't work properly, and bought/sited in a brand new Diamondback AR10 rifle with optics. My next project will be to build a 10/22 using an 80% receiver. If you aren't familiar with them, %80 receivers are a way to get around get around using a Federal Firearms License. You get the part that still needs some machining. In this case, I'll have to drill a dozen holes (one kind of large) and tap three of them. The majority of these receivers are made from an aluminum billet. I chose one made out of brass, a wooden stock with a Stainless Steel 24" fluted bull barrel. The brass on wood looks way awesome and the SS barrel will set it off. I'll be getting in the rest of the parts between now and next Wednesday. I'll start the machining process in the morning, but I doubt it will take more than a half hour to finish off the receiver. Drill the 3/4" hole for the barrel with be the most critical step, but I'm confident that the jig will work wonders.

IObY7L8DrHgvLfqMGTK_dIPudKXmAUxMHM1qNNnHg-XaSXgZhf0TWkD1qU-tRqbi5zfm9SDfB2xLdZ4t9h9pMU7wy8v8nQiq5sOWsYNnNWqfs9hqK3pucdT2qwk2BXQk2NG_kD2v-pErtlSPtQItVro1Iuo79aVrsVb3Wh5rU1klFW9WbiHSkWqB4yTjfQL0Ld6wTQFV0t2OWii5dC5NUXv42d6ej45DD_Ou1eP-mDWQSNLWrvbR3XErviRskfbft1ZuM8W_x6ZE0OzqF4P9jnvs9vJtNcC4JcDcxomDmuO44EYyCa1FX_V6-qxuEWgeaKOO9N5uVEyXOV_e4A04OTl-cHKkrmT-YO2R3yKSESm_3TTOl75QVUfiqasZNKNsXz6EiwWGSjaF_dVbJCIjdBc890lFzl9_dPolE3FNM4PT2I6JaAhphQ9RNNP_OHnxoqts1sqjoQfVPXyCORwwapVu-Dvd7NnewFgaNIVopN3RilSfgk59Tk3BWcD4Y7K9wj4szIaqghrMY_65MToft9WoTsB6SaoKJj3IevtDbf4HlQCX9jUqmJqB00oBDNL1T_pusU6aTJqLD0op41_o-8QvYz3gNukn2YSh9OAQFm0JUi7A8QBp=w1184-h887-no

The Stock, brass receiver, SS fluted barrel, jigs and tools to finish the job.
Oh yeah, everything I need to start reloading is in. Unfortunately, my van is in the body shop. I was attacked by a tree during a storm up in N Florida. I left it for them to work on while I was in Cayman Brac, but it's taking them TWO WEEKS to get it done. ARRRRRGH! I'm tired of waiting on them to finish. Some of the parts I need to reload are in that van.​
Moral of the story....

Watch what you say around trees...