• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rethinking gun ownership...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you ever change your mind, I recommend starting out with a small caliber rifle....22 LR.
Big calibers are a mistake for novices....
- Increased risk of developing a flinch
- More expensive to practice
Rifles are better....
- Safer
- Easier to learn basics, eg, sight picture, breath control
HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICING OF 22's THESE DAYS?????!!!!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
yeah I know.....still.....

i have seen one box of 50 priced at $22
only box on the shelf

for real

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
yeah I know.....still.....

i have seen one box of 50 priced at $22
only box on the shelf

for real
Dang!
I used to buy'm for about a penny apiece.
(Back when Abraham Lincoln & I used to go a shoot'n together.)
Bought in bulk, it can be had for 6 cents still.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The AR-10 was an interesting rifle choice. Lots of power and it is loud. Very loud. I learned to double up hearing protection with the 1911 .45, so it's not that bad. The kick is substantial, but my groupings are within 6" at 50 yards. Not bad for the first three sessions. The ammo is expensive for both the 45s and the 308s.

So, I picked up a progressive Lee Precision Loadmaster 45 as my Christmas present to myself. I still have bullets, powder and primers coming so I won't be able to reload until early January. I will be stepping down to 185 grain semi wad cutters for my reloads. That way, I can reduce the pop and recoil while I improve my aim. After I figure out the 45s I'll invest in 308 dies and do them as well. I've only run about 80 rounds of the 308, so I will run another 300/400 before I have enough brass to make it worthwhile. It should be fun.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I would love a gun but I can't, schizophrenia. I remember the time I was shot along the highway, I was laying there helpless, and thinking that whoever shot me was going to come and finish me of, that was so scary. No he didn't come, but he could have, if I had a gun with me that night I would have felt a little less afraid, at least I had a chance to protect myself, so yes I think a gun is and can be a good idea.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I want to get a new shotgun and get a pistol grip and tactical stock for it. This being after I shot my friend's brother's shotgun with a pistol grip and tactical stock. Without a doubt the "smoothest" shotgun I've ever shot. And much, much better than the meat tenderizer hand-me-down I have.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I haven't thought about adding a shotty to the arsenal. Perhaps I should.
You can fire a Glock underwater.
(In case you're mugged by an inner city fish.)
It does require some slight modification though.
It's also a bad idea (but then, you're into those).

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I want to get a new shotgun and get a pistol grip and tactical stock for it. This being after I shot my friend's brother's shotgun with a pistol grip and tactical stock. Without a doubt the "smoothest" shotgun I've ever shot. And much, much better than the meat tenderizer hand-me-down I have.
Just be sure to check your local laws.
In some places, pistol grips on shotguns are illegal.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Dang!
I used to buy'm for about a penny apiece.
(Back when Abraham Lincoln & I used to go a shoot'n together.)
Bought in bulk, it can be had for 6 cents still.
check the controversy about 22's and Walmart
I just got some boxes for $8 per one hundred rounds
see Youtube for some of the odd behavior that pays there
( I mean the employees)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Never had a gun-- don't need a gun-- if I had a gun, my son would be dead because he suffers from bi-polar disorder, and 30 years ago he tried twice to commit suicide but I had no gun to make it easy for him to do so.

The police will tell ya, as they told my students, namely that there are other more useful and less dangerous steps to protect ourselves. And keeping a loaded gun in the house in most communities is taking one helluva risk.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never had a gun-- don't need a gun-- if I had a gun, my son would be dead because he suffers from bi-polar disorder, and 30 years ago he tried twice to commit suicide but I had no gun to make it easy for him to do so.

The police will tell ya, as they told my students, namely that there are other more useful and less dangerous steps to protect ourselves. And keeping a loaded gun in the house in most communities is taking one helluva risk.
Some of us aren't so dysfunctional that we must deny ourselves access to guns.
You do what's best for you & yours, as do I.