• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resurrection & Crucifixion

SAC

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light for me on the Biblical story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, and similarities of these events with other accounts of god-like figures in other religions.

Basically, I've heard that Jesus is not the only central figure to a particular religion to have done this. I was curious if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject, or ideas that might be helpful.

Thanks.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SAC said:
I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light for me on the Biblical story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, and similarities of these events with other accounts of god-like figures in other religions.

Basically, I've heard that Jesus is not the only central figure to a particular religion to have done this. I was curious if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject, or ideas that might be helpful.

Thanks.
Hi SAC, Namaste.

I've just noticed that this is your first post, and wanted to welcome you.

Different people on this forum are going to give you various answers on this (probably according to their faith). As I am 'unconventional, I'll 'dip in' with my little bit and then 'run':jiggy: As far as I am concerned, there are many people, throughout time who have given up their lives for the sake of their faith - as far as I am concerned, they have 'reflected' Jesus's 'Gift' to us.:)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
john313 said:
I have heard the christian version of it is basically the same as Mithra(a pagan God). oddly enough, Mithra's birthday was celebrated on December 25.

http://www.vetssweatshop.net/dogma.htmhttp://www.vetssweatshop.net/dogma.htm
Other than the date of the feast, Mithraism has very little in common with Christianity and what is known about the cult comes almost entirely from the 4th Century AD, so any similarities could just as easily be explained as Mithraism borrowing from Christianity as the reverse.
In contrast to the Christian belief (which I'm sure I don't need to go into), Mithra wasn't born at all but pulled, as a fully formed adult, out of a rock. @Birthday is, therefore, a rather misleading term. Additionally, Mithra didn't die and resurrect but sacrificed a bull in what was basically an astrological belief system. It really bears little resemblance at all to anything even vaguely Christian, except in a few very superficial details, which could easily be borrowings, especially considering the syncretistic tendencies in many cults in the Roman Empire.
All of the other so-called pagan paralels to the Gospel that usually get trotted out are similarly overblown - such as Dionysios, Osiris etc. I'd be interested to see if anyone can actually come up with one that holds even the tiniest bit of water - not that even a really good one would actually shake my faith.

James

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
SAC said:
I have seen the claim often, but never accompanied by anything approaching serious scholarship. When examples are given, they tend to be strained at best, fabricated at worst.

SAC

Thank you so much for everything that has been posted so far. I've read the articles that have been linked to, and they are definitely interesting. I really appreciate it!

Dayv

Wow, calm down IacobPersul, no one's trying to shake your faith. Although Christianity may not have taken any myths from other religions exactly, it is not uncommon in the least for a religion to create stories of their own inspired by other religions, to say that Christianity has not done this is to be quite ignorant, or at least in serious denile. Although the story of Jesus is very much it's own tale (though, what can you expect, it's had 2000 years to be tweeked), it does share many overall aspects with other stories. There are NUMOROUS tales of one god or another coming down and impregnating a mortal (although christianity is the only one that I know of to base their entire religion off of it), and there are also plenty of myths of a god or hero dying to save others, or dying and returning, etc. Many MANY stories in the bible are taken from other, much older religions, but yet christians seem to think they made them all up by themselves.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
IacobPersul said:
Other than the date of the feast, Mithraism has very little in common with Christianity and what is known about the cult comes almost entirely from the 4th Century AD, so any similarities could just as easily be explained as Mithraism borrowing from Christianity as the reverse.
Clauss writes:
It should be emphasized that the purpose of this summary account is not to suggest that such ideas were taken over directly into the Roman mystery-cult. On the contrary, no direct continuity, either of a general kind or in specific details, can be demonstrated between the Perso-Hellenistic worship of Mitra and the Roman mysteries of Mithras. The oft repeated attempts to trace a seamless history of Mythras from the second millennium BC to the fourth century AD simply tells us something quite general about the relative stability, or, as it may be, flexibility, of religious ideas. We cannot account for Roman Mithras in terms borrowed from Persian Mitra.

< ... snip ... >

There is another reason too for thinking that it makes little sense to treat the mysteries of Mithras as but one stage in a longer evolution. The mysteries cannot be shown to have developed from Persian religious ideas, nor does it make sense to interpret them as a fore-runner of Christianity. Both views neglect the sheer creativity that gave rise to the mystery-cult. Mythraism was an independent creation with its own unique value within a given historical, specifically Roman, context.

[ and later, in a chapter titled Mithras and Christ ]

Most of the parallels between Mithraism and Chritianity are part of the common currency of all mystery cults or can be traced back to common origins in the Graeco-oriental culture of the Hellenistic world.

- see Roman Cult of Mithras: The God and His Mysteries, by Manfred Clauss
The Publisher notes: "Since its publication in Germany, Manfred Clauss' introduction to the Roman Mithras cult had become widely accepted as the most reliable, and readable, account of this subject. For the English edition the author has updated the work to reflect recent research and new archaeological discoveries."