• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restricting Threads

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I wanted to post in here so people could give their views.
I dislike walled forums generally.
I understand that religious people want a place where their irrational and unsupported beliefs and assertions will go unchallenged. So "Discuss Individual Religion" forums makes some sense. But not so much for social and political beliefs and assertions.

If your beliefs and assertions can't survive the moderation on RF then they probably don't belong on the internet.
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm honestly surprised there isn't one already. If they do make one, can I come too?!

It's been discussed for a while. I think the general idea is that people who are sympathetic to queer people are cool with the gang.

I understand that religious people want a place where their irrational and unsupported beliefs and assertions will go unchallenged.

What about the irreligious? Where do they hide with their irrational and unsupported beliefs and assertions?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's been discussed for a while. I think the general idea is that people who are sympathetic to queer people are cool with the gang.
I expect that the rules will be quite selectively applied.

What about the irreligious? Where do they hide with their irrational and unsupported beliefs and assertions?
Reddit :)
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
I expect that the rules will be quite selectively applied.

Why so?

Ah, they have a sanctuary, very good.

Also, I don't think that's what the point of the DIRs is. It's about letting people who share a tradition, or who share a political leaning, or whatever, being able to have a discussion about it without having people charging in and disrupting things with challenges. There's a place for both, but the former is much more easily derailed.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because that's the way it works in other such forums. I am a gay atheist straight ticket Democratic voter. I am not liberal enough to post in the Liberal Only forum. I believe in equal rights without regard for gender, and that isn't Feminist enough.
I'm probably not even gay enough to post in the LBGT+ forum. ;)
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
Because that's the way it works in other such forums. I am a gay atheist straight ticket Democratic voter. I am not liberal enough to post in the Liberal Only forum. I believe in equal rights without regard for gender, and that isn't Feminist enough.
I'm probably not even gay enough to post in the LBGT+ forum. ;)
Tom

Who says you're not liberal enough? Who says you're not a feminist?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you identify as a liberal and/or a feminist?
I don't much care for labels, so no not really.
I don't "identify" as conservative either. But they don't seem to care. I never get reported for posting there.

I think the difference is that I don't identify as a victim. And I do believe in personal responsibility. So some posters prefer not to read my posts, and booting me out of their safe space is the easiest way to accomplish that.
That's just a guess.
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
I don't much care for labels, so no not really.
I don't "identify" as conservative either. But they don't seem to care. I never get reported for posting there.

I think the difference is that I don't identify as a victim. And I do believe in personal responsibility. So some posters prefer not to read my posts, and booting me out of their safe space is the easiest way to accomplish that.
That's just a guess.
Tom

Well if you don't think that you're a feminist or a liberal, I guess it makes sense you wouldn't go in there. Although to a fair extent the fact you go and post somewhere, and that your opinions are in line with those expressed there, is used as an indicator.

I hear your guess, but to be honest it doesn't describe my own views as to why it's best for you to not go into the '_ Only' areas to which your views are unsuited. Certainly, victimhood's a problem. But not acknowledging privilege is also a problem.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Although to a fair extent the fact you go and post somewhere, and that your opinions are in line with those expressed there, is used as an indicator.
I expressed the opinion "Voting for Hillary is the conservative thing to do this election." in the Conservative Only DIR and nobody told me to leave.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How about a restriction which is "Advocate For ABC",
where one needn't actually be ABC.
This would have the advantage that one would have to comply
with the spirit of the thread. Sometimes an individual might
have views which comport with this, & sometimes not.
So the restriction would allow more diverse participation.

Deidre

I'd like to think most people would respect that, so not sure why you couldn't post a thread with that title.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That certainly has a place. And maybe it could stand in. But I'm thinking something more free-form-DIR style, I guess, where it's a bit more open.

EDIT: Also, if discussions reopen r.e. the Queer DIR, I will campaign against calling it 'LGBT', because while it's a pretty good label and is recognisable, it is not sufficiently inclusive.

That would be hard because I don't identify as Queer but maybe a poll would do. LGBT is recognizable but then what about QPIAN... and so forth. I think keep it simple.

I just don't like the Rainbow room because it's tucked away in the closet. I'd probably keep that too just in case people want to discuss things in private. But straight people talk about their love life in public so sexual orientation and gender identity should make a difference for the rest of us to be free to do the same.

That's my take.

Kirran

Premium Member
How about a restriction which is "Advocate For ABC",
where one needn't actually be ABC.
This would have the advantage that one would have to comply
with the spirit of the thread. Sometimes an individual might
have views which comport with this, & sometimes not.
So the restriction would allow more diverse participation.

Yeah, that was more or less what I had in mind.

I'd like to think most people would respect that, so not sure why you couldn't post a thread with that title.

I guess I'm just squaring it with the mods first.

jonathan180iq

It would be nice if we could ever have an LGBT DIR that isn't private. :rolleyes:
You can't do that because people are $hitty... All it takes is one grumpy conservative to rush in there, read a few posts, and hang whatever he reads over the heads of people that may not want that information being 100% public knowledge.