• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurants now charging 30 dollars for a regular size pizza in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That doesn't tell much by itself because the base pay is a crucial part of the context. A 100% raise on $7/hour still results in a barely livable wage. A 20% raise on $20/hour is decent.

I can assure you that practically no one is paying $7/hr. If they are, I can guarantee they don't have any employees because they all left and went up the street to get $13.00 to flip burgers.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I can assure you that practically no one is paying $7/hr. If they are, I can guarantee they don't have any employees because they all left and went up the street to get $13.00 to flip burgers.

It was just a random example of how base pay is important for the context, although I don't know whether $13/hour is a livable wage or not in most states. I can't comment on that.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This text message I awoke to this morning is a shining example of the work ethic I'm speaking about.

upload_2023-2-26_8-41-1.png

Just finished onboarding, scheduled for training class today, and decides this will be his first impression with the company.

Despite explaining expectations, this generation of entitlement will treat the schedule more as a suggestion than the schedule.

ETA: I'm assuming he's at the hospital with his grandfather and not his grade point average.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Bingo. I worked in the staffing industry for many years and even then (20 years ago roughly) no one paid even close to minimum wage. I worked with hundreds of local employers.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Attitude of the worker.
If one isn’t motivated initially,
more money won’t change them.

On the other hand, many who are initially motivated start losing steam and burning out if the pay is too low or the workplace conditions are toxic.

There's no one size that fits all.

Audie

Veteran Member
What I've seen across my whole life, is businesses and suburbs buying out our farmland. That land that was built on, was not doing nothing, and I don't know if people really get that. Not trying to debate anything, it's just that my first reaction to these kinds of topics, is to go back to what I've seen happen across my whole life
Paving farmland is insane

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This text message I awoke to this morning is a shining example of the work ethic I'm speaking about.

View attachment 72125

Just finished onboarding, scheduled for training class today, and decides this will be his first impression with the company.

Despite explaining expectations, this generation of entitlement will treat the schedule more as a suggestion than the schedule.

ETA: I'm assuming he's at the hospital with his grandfather and not his grade point average.

Do you think it's not a valid reason to delay if he's really at the hospital with his ill grandfather?

Kathryn

I feel like it's a combination of factors. I believe the pandemic started it, and many older workers retired and left the workforce entirely. Entire factories would shut their doors. Then the higher gas prices everywhere caused a ripple effect of higher prices on goods. Then of course pay had to increase. Then you had people getting money and staying home, which was a shock at first but then became something pretty nice in many ways. You have attitudes toward work which have changed drastically over the past five years.

It's a really odd situation and I think this is going to be the worst year on record economically.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On the other hand, many who are initially motivated start losing steam and burning out if the pay is too low or the workplace conditions are toxic.

There's no one size that fits all.
Don’t like the job?
Then quit.
But don’t expect an employer to give a raise to motivate an unmotivated worker.

That is a surprisingly difficult point to convey.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like it's a combination of factors. I believe the pandemic started it, and many older workers retired and left the workforce entirely. Entire factories would shut their doors. Then the higher gas prices everywhere caused a ripple effect of higher prices on goods. Then of course pay had to increase. Then you had people getting money and staying home, which was a shock at first but then became something pretty nice in many ways. You have attitudes toward work which have changed drastically over the past five years.

It's a really odd situation and I think this is going to be the worst year on record economically.

I completely agree.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think it's not a valid reason to delay if he's really at the hospital with his ill grandfather?

Unless he's the attending physician who is caring for and releasing his grandfather, I see no reason he has to be there. Do you think it's a valid excuse to miss the first day of training, which is limited to 8 per class, where his absence left a hole where another motivated new hire could have started sooner? If so, why? Because I know if I cared about my job, I would arrange for someone else to be there when he was discharged to take care of his needs.

Also, I just now received attendance for today's training class. I had 5 people scheduled to begin training today. Two showed up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How much is the minimum wage where you are?

I can see why it would be irrelevant if it were outdated and not remotely up to current rates of inflation and living costs.
I don’t know.
It’s so far below prevailing wages that it never comes up. Typical signs for fast food say $15/hour to start.

Kathryn

And let's be completely honest here - many workers aren't worth more than minimum wage, though they are paid above minimum wage for entry level, part time and/or zero skill jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.