• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurants now charging 30 dollars for a regular size pizza in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I alomost never eat in restaurants, nor buy takeaway food. But yesterday was my son's birthday, so I bought lunch for four of us at a Brazilian Barbecue in central London. All you could eat, and the food was good, but £191 plus tip (but including drinks), came as a bit of a shock.

I didn't realise you tipped in England. An Aussie would never tip.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe that.

Believe it or don't.

I'm not sure how many of you have tried to hire a quality employee recently, but supply chain issues exist because labor challenges are real.

Minimum wage is gone, so forget about paying what you did for anything pre-COVID. Business had to raise prices to remain profitable. And that's only the beginning.

Quality employees are few and far between, and ultimately end up moving on because they find themselves overworked because of laziness of this generations workforce, who take no pride in what they do and do the bare minimum just to keep themselves from being fired. This results in additional dollars needed just to sustain a viable workforce.

But still business continue to run short-staffed, resulting in decrease production causing supply chain issues, not to mention labor issues in restaurants.

RestlessSoul

I didn't realise you tipped in England. An Aussie would never tip.

It's quite confusing here, because lots of places have a service charge included. Waiters don't earn great money though, as a rule, so I usually leave something.

You've reminded me of this...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Move to France, you can have a pizza made with your choice of topping by a robot pizza machine for €10.

image.gif

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Quality employees are few and far between, and ultimately end up moving on because they find themselves overworked because of laziness of this generations workforce, who take no pride in what they do and do the bare minimum just to keep themselves from being fired. This results in additional dollars needed just to sustain a viable workforce.

I have seen people change jobs or take no pride in their work due to excessively low wages and poor working conditions. In your experience, were the laziness and lack of pride driven by such factors, or were they rooted in something else?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can't believe the French allow this, don't they firebomb burger chains?

Not any more. McDonald's is now the most popular restaurant (and i use the word in its widest possible sense) in france. Going off the number of clients they have.

I was in paris when the first McDonalds opened. Two tractors caused havoc in Paris traffic. Reversed to each of the two doors and tipped a trailer load of cow manure in each door. Then they happily chugged away.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen people change jobs or take no pride in their work due to excessively low wages and poor working conditions. In your experience, were the laziness and lack of pride driven by such factors, or were they rooted in something else?

The laziness and lack of pride I'm speaking about here were rooted in poor work ethic.

I'm not sure why you're driving at, but why would low wages in poor working conditions result in price increases at the register?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The laziness and lack of pride I'm speaking about here were rooted in poor work ethic.

That answers my question. Thanks.

I'm not sure why you're driving at, but why would low wages in poor working conditions result in price increases at the register?

Not the price increases; I was only wondering what caused the lack of motivation in the workforce. I don't believe my generation are lazy overall, although of course some are, as with any other group.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Supply chain increases push pizza pricing up to $30 range | wgrz.com

No way am I buying a average size pizza for 30 dollars.

I remember as a teen, a whole entire pizza with a coke as well, only set me back $3.50.

I can just imagine the cost in the next decade.

Anyone else seeing this?

They are of course, still blaming supply chain issues. Convenient. I don't believe that.
NY is the capitol of high cost.
Ya want cheaper food?
Move someplace where people aren’t packed together like sardines in an overtaxed high crime filthy can.
Around here, $10 will buy a pie. Plus or minus depending on how gourmet you are.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not the price increases; I was only wondering what caused the lack of motivation in the workforce. I don't believe my generation are lazy overall, although of course some are, as with any other group.

Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but having spent the last 30+ years in management, I've seen a steady decline in work ethic from generation to generation.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but having spent the last 30+ years in management, I've seen a steady decline in work ethic from generation to generation.

I suspect local circumstances definitely play a part. Over here, many younger people work upwards of 12 hours a day in manual jobs or the service industry. If they don't, they and/or their families will go hungry. No choice.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There are 2 kinds of workers:
I’ll work better if I get a raise.
I’ll work better so I’ll get a raise.

That doesn't tell much by itself because the base pay is a crucial part of the context. A 100% raise on $7/hour still results in a barely livable wage. A 20% raise on $20/hour is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.