• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respecting Our Differences While Defending Religious Freedom

The best way to interact with people who hold different beliefs is to:

• Research all of the arguments against you and practice come backs.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Research other beliefs and find ways to tear others apart.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Seek to find common ground and avoid areas of contention.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Practice psychological techniques - positive body language, calm, collected, and confident etc.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • other

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

GoodbyeDave

Thank you for all of the comments! I'm happy to see that no one has yet chosen option 1 or two on the polls.
Well, I've just disappointed you!

Actually it depends on the circumstances. On a forum like this, naturally I need to defend my beliefs and show others the error of their ways (unless they're atheists, who suffer from invincible ignorance). In real life, the matter doesn't come up. I know the doctor in the flat downstairs is a Christian from the mail she gets, and I presume the Indian next door is a Hindu, but I wouldn't raise religion in conversation: in middle class English circles that's almost as bad as asking some-one how much money they have!

idea

Question Everything
But it isn't necessary to get everybody to agree on them, just a majority of our lawmakers. In the USA laws are created by the people we elect to our legislatures.

Majority rule is often harsh to minority groups though. This is an interesting study -
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/02/26/religious-hostilities/
Restrictions2015-graphics_SHImap640px.png

1450165.png

idea

Question Everything
Well, I've just disappointed you!

Actually it depends on the circumstances. On a forum like this, naturally I need to defend my beliefs and show others the error of their ways (unless they're atheists, who suffer from invincible ignorance). In real life, the matter doesn't come up. I know the doctor in the flat downstairs is a Christian from the mail she gets, and I presume the Indian next door is a Hindu, but I wouldn't raise religion in conversation: in middle class English circles that's almost as bad as asking some-one how much money they have!

LOL, but what if you are the one with a few errors? When I moved from the North to the South, we moved to a neighborhood where one of the first questions we were asked was "What church do you go to?" (Not "do you go to church", but "which one". That question did take me off guard. Church is more like a community club down here - just sort of a social thing I guess?

Love this TED talk. I do think one of the problems surrounding intolerance is the "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality. If we could all honestly entertain the idea that perhaps there are a few details we have not figured out correctly, and then be willing to listen to others as we hope they might listen to us...

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
1-I agree. People are defensive and insecure when they do not fully understand their own faith.
2 & 3- Truth is eternal and unchanging - does the original belief of all of all of us stem back to truth? Was there a time when humans knew what is true and we are now deviating from that? or in this new enlightened age, are we learning more and changing our old false beliefs to come closer to the truth?
4→7 completely agree.
Peace be on you.
Deviations begin to creep in the true divine message brought by God's Messenger when some time is elapsed after the Messenger of God. New or reformation (reminder) is sent.
The way we view:
"This, in short, is the tale of the origin, rise and fall of religions. But a new beginning is always made after every fall to rehabilitate the Unity of God yet again. It always originates in Heaven, and descends with revelation. It never erupts from the earth below, rising heavenwards like curly columns of smoke of human confusion ultimately resolving into a belief in Unity. Instead the Unity of God only descends from on high to raise the fallen man yet again to the celestial heights of nearness to Him."
Ref: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_3_section_1.html

Good wishes.