• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respect

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How many of us can genuinely say that we respect another person's right to hold beliefs that don't coincide with our current beliefs?

All I can say is that I find it a constant challenge and I don't always manage it!

My beliefs have certainly evolved over the course of a single lifetime.

By what criteria are we going to decide whose beliefs are "right" and whose are "wrong"?

Yes. Yes. I know. I am taking all the fun out of the forum :)

Enough preaching! How about song -

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems likely that one's difficulty in holding to such a standard would depend a lot on the role models one had growing up - how one was raised. If one is raised in an environment surrounded by people who are generally disrespectful of others, or perhaps blatantly intolerant, prejudiced, or bigoted, that's going to rub off on a kid. Conversely, if one's raised in an environment where primary role models grant respect as a matter of course with few if any exceptions, that rubs off on a kid too.

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
PREACH BROTHER!

As much as I love to make fun of people who go to church every Sunday and pray to the almighty nothing, I respect why they do that. I respect the message and warmth they feel to sing about God, it's nice. I respect everyone's beliefs no matter how far they shoot out of my own beliefs :)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It seems likely that one's difficulty in holding to such a standard would depend a lot on the role models one had growing up - how one was raised. If one is raised in an environment surrounded by people who are generally disrespectful of others, or perhaps blatantly intolerant, prejudiced, or bigoted, that's going to rub off on a kid. Conversely, if one's raised in an environment where primary role models grant respect as a matter of course with few if any exceptions, that rubs off on a kid too.

True enough! It can be very hard to overide your "conditioning" - but it's not impossible - depends on many factors.

Thanks for sharing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is one of my "it's easy to say respect but hard for me to do" problem areas. I find it relatively easy to respect well-reasoned judgements that come from carefully considering a situation even when they come up with a different conclusion.

But when someone shoots from the hip mouthing slogans that they hold to with fanatical intensity including casting aspersions on those who disagree, I just can't do it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This is one of my "it's easy to say respect but hard for me to do" problem areas. I find it relatively easy to respect well-reasoned judgements that come from carefully considering a situation even when they come up with a different conclusion.

But when someone shoots from the hip mouthing slogans that they hold to with fanatical intensity including casting aspersions on those who disagree, I just can't do it.

You and I both - well said! It can be VERY tough to cultivate compassion when confronted with such negativity.

I hesitated to even post what I posted ...

Just another one of life's great challenges I suppose!

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You can respect someone's right to believe without respecting what they believe.

Yes - gets quite tricky when you try to respect the right to hold hate-filled beliefs ... some would say that's craaaaazy!

I suppose we ought to consider "converting" them to beliefs that are more emotionally healthy!

Thanks for posting.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes - gets quite tricky when you try to respect the right to hold hate-filled beliefs ... some would say that's craaaaazy!

I suppose we ought to consider "converting" them to beliefs that are more emotionally healthy!

Thanks for posting.

I find the desire to control other people's thoughts and feelings to be more disconcerting than hateful beliefs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How many of us can genuinely say that we respect another person's right to hold beliefs that don't coincide with our current beliefs?

I can genuinely say that I have the utmost respect for one's right to believe as s/he wishes...

...right up until s/he tries to impose or superimpose those beliefs onto mine.​

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

All I can say is that I find it a constant challenge and I don't always manage it!

By what criteria are we going to decide whose beliefs are "right" and whose are "wrong"?

I think most of us in civilized western society are not opposed to someone with an opoising view. Sometimes the other side is right even if we disagree with it. Free speech is vital to western society.

So long as that speech does not turn into physical violence then it should be allowed. But the second words turn into violence the offender must be punished. Words and ideas do not equate to violence, nor should they provoke violence just because they differ from your own.

Thats my opinion on it anyways.:D

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

That's where the concept of faith comes in.

When we acknowledge our beliefs, faith, as such; they are not 'undeniable facts' they are not inherently 'intellectually superior', people with different beliefs are not 'deniers'

blind faith is faith which does not recognize itself

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I find the desire to control other people's thoughts and feelings to be more disconcerting than hateful beliefs.

Fair enough. Both types of people are probly not terribly happy individuals so we can feel compassion if we are wise enough ...

Thanks for posting.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I get challenged with my beliefs probably once a week directly. It was actually yesterday, on the bus home. I know practically half the local bus drivers. So, this driver and I got into the topic of religion. I notice there is a "christian-culture" in this area. When you relate to someone as christian (and they are too), at bare minimum, you both believe in god, jesus, and salvation. You're supposed to keep each other "in the team." Even if it meant biting ones tongue over denominational differences.

So, I told her I was Catholic but I stopped practicing christianity and no longer wanted to follow Christ's teachings.

The rest of the bus ride (we had a "to be continued" session) she did two things

1. Trying to figure out why I left christianity
2. How to get me to see why I "decided" incorrectly-maybe you're still searching; when I was your age; what's another one, um.....

I do not respect a person's beliefs if it has anything to do with coercion, conversion, or harm (physical, mental, so have you). I don't like the "if you follow us, you'll be fine..." or "I wan't to understand your religion but only to tell you you decided incorrectly." or "I want to relate to you to tell you since I found the wrong path, maybe you have too."

NO other religious I know has a direct "I am right and are wrong" statements and approach but christians. I mean, I have had some Muslims give me a weird expression.

However, even with that, when I finished my chanting in the spiritual-room at our college, a Muslim said, "your chanting is beautiful. What do you practice?" (This was less than a year ago)

On the other token, my friend I've known over ten years, when I took the sacraments, and I told her "I can't just give up to say THIS is the only way" and she says "it takes time..."

I respect people. I have a high sensitively level in regards to disrespect not just morally but all around immediate body responds to it.

But, because you cannot astract jesus from a christian, you can't say the religion is separate than the person who practices it. So, there has to be some sort of directness.

With my other friend who is evangalistic, she asked me after telling her my disagreements with christianity, she says "you don't like my religion do you?"

I tried to look her in the eye and said, "No, I don't."

It probably ruined the friendship then since I keep hearing more god slurs etc thereafter, but if you're keep splitting hairs with people and their beliefs than you not being honest with the people who believe it.

I don't respect my friend because her views of support does not put another person's needs and support first before god's. Yes, there are a lot of other aspects about her that I support-her family role, her role as my friend, etc but that part of her, no, I do not respect.

We can't respect everyone but we can act in ways that show our unconditional love so there are no reservations behind your compassion and no ill intentions if you hate someone you don't mind having coffee with.

It's a balancing act.

What criteria to say who's right or wrong, yours (or your god's etc). Yours. If you follow a religion(s), that's your guide. My morals says "thou shall not kill" so, I will not kill. It says do not speak ill about other people in a discompassionate way, so I rather be blunt a tell them just that. It's easier to type it than it is to say it,

but I honestly feel that people will respect you more if you're honest about how you feel about them and their belief not just saying "hate the sin and love the sinner."

This phrase isn't just for christians.