• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resources on textual criticism.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'm looking for books on textual criticism. I have Bart Ehrman's introductory books on the subject, but I'm looking for something more in depth. I know Bruce Metzger is highly regarded in the area, but I was wondering about other authors as well? Thanks.

lswinford

The International Greek New Testament Project has a bibliography page with names (leads) to follow through on. (see "igntp.org")

I don't know where you are in the spectrum, but the preview portions of Peter Kyle McCarter's Textual Criticism: Recovering the Text of the Hebrew Bible may be worth a look on Google books (id=Dg86WeszmtAC). If you already read Hebrew, then Emanual Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible is a meatier work (id=U1UfMyO-RiEC).

While this might look a little out of the ballpark, this broader study (solidly college level, but you don't need biblical language skills to read it) will teach you some enormously important things that either apply to biblical study or to understand what others are saying about textual criticism and more. Also available to glimpse on Google books, Jerome J. McGann's A Critique of Modern Textual Criticism (id=_EKipG36yiAC). (Not permitted to post the full url just yet, sorry)

A

angellous_evangellous

There's an SBL series on the texts of the NT - they have one or two volumes per each book. Excellent work.

There's also The Text of the Earliest Greek NT MSS. That has been priceless.

And you should look at the 7 vol. series New Documents Illustrating Early Christianity. Learn it, love it, memorize it.