• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resources for Polytheists

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
At the moments I am formulating multiple essays for polytheism and its legitimacy and I would just like to have a thread dedicated to polytheism specifically. I know many pagans are polytheists but I am not interested in nature worship or any other aspect of paganism just polytheism itself.

Obviously Hindus are highly encouraged to take part.

I want a drop of texts on polytheistic religions, cults, research or anything you can dig up.

. . . . thanks a lot.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
31ngFCKfMnL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Case for Polytheism by Steve Dillon.

This book is an excellent argument for polytheism.

Satyamavejayanti

At the moments I am formulating multiple essays for polytheism and its legitimacy and I would just like to have a thread dedicated to polytheism specifically. I know many pagans are polytheists but I am not interested in nature worship or any other aspect of paganism just polytheism itself.

I want a drop of texts on polytheistic religions, cults, research or anything you can dig up.

. . . . thanks a lot.

Namaste,

I would like to help, but i must clarify that i don't consider Hinduism to be classified as "polytheistic", or "Pagan", because that would be a too narrow a view of Hinduism, nor is it a classification Hindus have used for themselves, Hinduism is more concerned with Dharmah, it does not matter if one is poly, mono, pan, atheist ect, as long as one is Dharmic, i can suggest a book that will help you understand the Hindu view. It is called "Being Different and Indian challenge to Western Universal ism", by "Rajiv Malhotra", also if your looking for "Shastra", or texts that may support a idea of multiple deities i would suggest the "Puranas" which are available on the net.

Hinduism/The Puranas - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

If you are looking for texts or writings by Hindus that support "polytheism", within Hinduism then unfortunatly I don't know of any.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Namaste,

I would like to help, but i must clarify that i don't consider Hinduism to be classified as "polytheistic", or "Pagan", because that would be a too narrow a view of Hinduism, nor is it a classification Hindus have used for themselves, Hinduism is more concerned with Dharmah, it does not matter if one is poly, mono, pan, atheist ect, as long as one is Dharmic, i can suggest a book that will help you understand the Hindu view. It is called "Being Different and Indian challenge to Western Universal ism", by "Rajiv Malhotra", also if your looking for "Shastra", or texts that may support a idea of multiple deities i would suggest the "Puranas" which are available on the net.

Hinduism/The Puranas - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

If you are looking for texts or writings by Hindus that support "polytheism", within Hinduism then unfortunatly I don't know of any.

Overall it is not polytheistic or pagan but it does contain numerous aspects of polytheism and things shared by pagans. I have known many Hindus who have offered to the discussion of polytheism and this is why I must include them in order to keep that chain of knowledge flowing. So you are always welcome.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

. . . . thanks a lot.
Free translations of many important books here for Hinduism
Sacred-Texts: Hinduism

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
But you have not mentioned what we should be discussing and where do we start? Give us a lead.

Any opinions, articles, literature or insight that can argue on behalf of polytheism. Historical research, mythology or flat out written but well thought of opinion on polytheism.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
%7BCEF02B2C-5150-412D-BCBC-00A870CF3AB4%7DImg150.jpg

Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin

A fairly good book, very introductory.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Rigvedic deities - Wikipedia (Aryan, who have their cognates in other IE mythologies)

List of Hindu deities - Wikipedia (Current, a mix of Aryan and indigenous)
(the page carries a note: "The number might be figurative but there are several names and forms for the multitude of gods. Given below is an incomplete list of deities.")

Hindu deities - Wikipedia (Technical or one can say 'ontological' discussion)
* Never sure of these grand philosophical terms.