• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resource: Contemporary Gnostic Groups

ELoWolfe

In an effort to promote Gnosticism, below are some contemporary Gnostic organizations. If possible, I have tried to include where they are situated and what type of Gnostic group they emulate (or try to).

Eclectic:
These groups have a mixed approach and system to their understanding of Gnosis. They have taken a variety of sources from many different traditions.

Ecclesia Gnostica
Ecclesia Gnostica
Location(s): Los Angeles CA, Portland OR, Seattle WA, Salt Lake City UT
Notes: High Church; Variety of Scipture (Nag Hammadi, Manichaeism, Catharism, Bogomilian, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, Theosophy, Jungian)

Ecclesia Gnostica Mysteriorum
GNOSTIC SANCTUARY - Ecclesia Gnostica Mysteriorum
Notes: Formerly a parish of Ecclesia Gnostica; Focuses on "Wild Gnosis" (information on site)

Apostolic Johannite Church
Apostolic Johannite Church :: An Esoteric Gnostic Christian Communion with Valid Apostolic Succession
Location: Multiple (Canada, America, Australia, Spain, New Zealand)
Notes: High Church; Variety of Scripture (Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, Nag Hammadi, Hermeticism)

Oriental Apostolic Church of Damcar
Oriental Apostolic Church of Damcar
Notes: Values Eastern Rites; Variety of Scripture (Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, Nag Hammadi, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, Qu'ran, Sufism); Connected to the Apostolic Johannite Church

L'Eglise Gnostique
l'Eglise Gnostique in the present.
Notes: Many other Gnostic churches derive from this church tradition; "French Revival;" Website operational, but appears broken; not the original French church

Sethian:
These groups claim to be primarily focused on Sethianism.

Sodalitas Sanctum Seth
Sethian Gnosticism: Sodalitas Sanctum Seth - Home
Location(s): Norway
Notes: Esoteric; Invitation-only; Claims to have beginning rooted in a mysterious, but hidden, master before 1880.

Coptic Gnostic Church
Coptic Gnostic Church
Notes: Not generally open to the public; Connections to the Ordo Templi Orientis

Valentinian:
These groups profess a primacy on Valentinian theology.

Ecclesia Valentinaris Antiqua
http://www.gnosticorum.org/
Notes: Appears High Church, emphasis on learning

Thelema:
These groups are based on the system of religious worship and magic of Aleister Crowley. He claimed to be the newest Aeon, Horus. Not particularly Gnostic in the Christian sense, but makes use of Gnostic ideas and scripture. Included because of the commonality of names mentioned in other lists.

Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica
EGC » US Grand Lodge
Notes: The ecclesiastical arm of Ordo Templi Orientis

Ecclesia Gnostica Spiritualis
https://www.facebook.com/EcclesiaGnosticaSpiritualis

Ecclesia Gnostica Universalis
Ecclesia Gnostica Universalis
Notes: Claims to strive for "creative evolution and the creation of new Gnostic Masses", while Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica simply maintains the original Gnostic Mass

Thelemic Gnostic Church of Alexandria
Order of Thelemic Knights and The Thelemic Gnostic Church of Alexandria
Notes: Invitation only; Initiatory organization (not really a church or religious group per se)

Other:
These groups really don't fit anywhere else, for one reason or another. Reasons why included in the notes.

Assembly of the Knowledge and Wisdom of Solomon
Assembly of the Knowledge and Wisdom of Solomon
Notes: Connections to the Ordo Templi Orientis; Incorporates UFOs, Space and Aliens into mythology and beliefs

North American College of Gnostic Bishops
The North American College of Gnostic Bishops
Notes: Not a church, but a loose group of three different churches

GnosticNYC
GnosticNYC
Notes: Collaboration of various Bishops in an effort to promote Gnosticism in the NYC area. Various traditions represented. Variety of information found in YouTube channel

Defunct:
For reasons that may not be known, some groups are no longer active but their resources may be. These are included here for historical reasons.

Alexandrian Gnostic Church
Alexandrian Gnostic Church | The Assembly of the Paraclete
Notes: Was active with GnosticNYC, promoting Gnosticism in NYC

Last edited:

ELoWolfe

Because of restrictions in editing, I will not be able to update this list in the future. If you know of a group or church, put it in here. If there is enough, we could create a new list.

frangipani

Premium Member
There seems to be a lot of Gnostic organisations. I would just love to meet up with other Gnostic minded people in a relaxed environment and discuss the Nag Hammadi scriptures over a glass of red and cheese.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
There seems to be a lot of Gnostic organisations. I would just love to meet up with other Gnostic minded people in a relaxed environment and discuss the Nag Hammadi scriptures over a glass of red and cheese.

Me too. I thought of starting a group where I live but I'm afraid there would not be much interest.

ELoWolfe

Me too. I thought of starting a group where I live but I'm afraid there would not be much interest.

I've been reading a lot about church planting, and trying to look into the starts of many of the larger churches. I am fascinated to see "How did this start?!"

The common thing I have been seeing is authority (someone to take charge), patience and a small group. A lot of these places start in the house of the person forming the group, and it eventually grows from there. Soon enough, they're renting spaces, then they pull together and get a building and eventually they're huge.

Rick Warren, for example, started in his living room. Eventually, he rented the gymnasium for a school. And now look how big he is.

I am not saying that you have to go big, especially that big, but the thing was they all started small. A few people. Usually about 3. And they got those people by asking, inviting and putting it out there.

After my current project, I am going to try to compile some information on starting groups. I will put what I find on here for you, and anyone else interested.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I've been reading a lot about church planting, and trying to look into the starts of many of the larger churches. I am fascinated to see "How did this start?!"

The common thing I have been seeing is authority (someone to take charge), patience and a small group. A lot of these places start in the house of the person forming the group, and it eventually grows from there. Soon enough, they're renting spaces, then they pull together and get a building and eventually they're huge.

Rick Warren, for example, started in his living room. Eventually, he rented the gymnasium for a school. And now look how big he is.

I am not saying that you have to go big, especially that big, but the thing was they all started small. A few people. Usually about 3. And they got those people by asking, inviting and putting it out there.

After my current project, I am going to try to compile some information on starting groups. I will put what I find on here for you, and anyone else interested.

In my pre-gnostic days I was involved in the Nazorean movement. I tried to start something around that that never got off the ground. So I'm a bit discouraged about trying to start a Gnostic group.