• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Researchers Prove Bible Grossly Mistranslated"

Skwim

Veteran Member
"A research group in Canada, has proven that the Old Testament has been massively mistranslated.

This follows three years of research, which have uncovered the actual system for translating ancient Hebrew.

The group discovered that each letter is not a letter at all, but a full word, and what was believed to be a word, is actually a sentence like description, which supplies the definition of the word. With this discovery, each word can now be properly defined and the results are astounding.

This means a word can no longer be disputed and swayed by doctrinal pressures

If accurate, the findings will rewrite everything we presently believe about the scriptual beginnings of the Earth.

Research Head Christopher Tyreman states that what they have found, proves without a doubt, that the Bible has been grossly mistranslated and that their findings expose this fact with glaring simplicity. He further stated that he finds it interesting that a group of lay researchers were able to see and assemble what they call "Self Defining Hebrew or the SDH System" while experts seemed unaware of its existence."
source

Called the Chronicle Project, its on-line accessible site, HERE , is filled with information, including research, research notes, dictionary, newsletters, videos, and more. I just came across this news item and haven't had a chance to check any of it out so I'm not going to make any comment one way or the other on its value.

Take a look and see what you think.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Why on earth would you post this? You have to know it is complete bunk.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who are these researchers?
Why, and how, would Bedouins write a book in such a bizarre code?

A

angellous_evangellous

They haven't proven anything though.

If this is a real study, which I doubt because they would have had to learn Hebrew first, they are only showing how stupid they are.

Rakhel

Can one say, "No **** Sherlock!!" Jews have been saying this for years.
Current Hebrew writing is based on ancient Hebraic hieroglyphs which has the same letters as ancient Phoenician Alphabet.
Keep in mind the Phoenicians were the Philistines of the Tanakh

Alphabet.jpeg

From the Ben-Yehuda Hebrew-English dictionary
HebrewTable.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Three years of time and probably millions of dollars wasted, when one can find this by picking up a Ben-Yehuda's Hebrew-English Dictionary at your favorite big box book seller for less than US$20. He did the same research back at the beginning of the 20th Century.

A

angellous_evangellous

Um...I think they did...Where do you think they first saw this?

No telling.

The argument has to match the evidence, though.

The OP was so sensationalized that I didn't bother to read it. The claims strike me as highly overstated, if not completely unrelated to the original research.

The Hebrew text has been studied for thousands of years. It seems highly insulting to me for someone to come out with what appears to be rudimentary and clumsy "research" and arrogantly claim that the translations have been wrong.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
No telling.

The argument has to match the evidence, though.

The OP was so sensationalized that I didn't bother to read it. The claims strike me as highly overstated, if not completely unrelated to the original research.

The Hebrew text has been studied for thousands of years. It seems highly insulting to me for someone to come out with what appears to be rudimentary and clumsy "research" and arrogantly claim that the translations have been wrong.
Many translations were wrong. The "research" group likely is as wrong as those translations. They are attempting to apply a translation scheme that is 1000 years behind the writing of the Torah.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Even if this research is bunk, I still believe the bible has been somewhat ("grossly" is a strong word) mistranslated.

A

angellous_evangellous

Many translations were wrong. The "research" group likely is as wrong as those translations. They are attempting to apply a translation scheme that is 1000 years behind the writing of the Torah.

Yes, many translations can be improved, but that doesn't mean that the entire translation theory is incorrect.

This is more than correcting errors - it's a fundamental change in philosophy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nothing new. For years researchers and Jews alike have been saying how it's one of the worst translations in history.

jtartar

"A research group in Canada, has proven that the Old Testament has been massively mistranslated.

This follows three years of research, which have uncovered the actual system for translating ancient Hebrew.

The group discovered that each letter is not a letter at all, but a full word, and what was believed to be a word, is actually a sentence like description, which supplies the definition of the word. With this discovery, each word can now be properly defined and the results are astounding.

This means a word can no longer be disputed and swayed by doctrinal pressures

If accurate, the findings will rewrite everything we presently believe about the scriptual beginnings of the Earth.

Research Head Christopher Tyreman states that what they have found, proves without a doubt, that the Bible has been grossly mistranslated and that their findings expose this fact with glaring simplicity. He further stated that he finds it interesting that a group of lay researchers were able to see and assemble what they call "Self Defining Hebrew or the SDH System" while experts seemed unaware of its existence."
source

Called the Chronicle Project, its on-line accessible site, HERE , is filled with information, including research, research notes, dictionary, newsletters, videos, and more. I just came across this news item and haven't had a chance to check any of it out so I'm not going to make any comment one way or the other on its value.

Take a look and see what you think.

Skwim,
This project reminds me of what is said at 1Tim 1:3-7. All this gives something to research, but is useless to understanding the Holy Scriptures.
It is very true that the Hebrew Language was given to mankind by God, Gen 11:1.
Since the message God gave mankind was for every human, God used a language that was easy to translate into many other languages, both Hebrew and Greek.
This system takes the concept of easy understanding away, for only a person who has unlimited time could understand exactly what is being said.
This tortuous system is not needed, because the Hebrew Scriptures are a start of God's purpose, and the Greek Scriptures sum up God's purpose. Both must agree and they do NOW, without this complicated system to understand God's word.
Paul mentioned that he did not come to the people with hard to understand language or words, but with simple things that even children could understand, 1Cor 2:1-10
When we look for a complicated system to understand God's word, we are going completely away from what Jesus said at Luke 10:21, I thank you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones, but have revealed them to babes.

A

angellous_evangellous

Skwim,
This project reminds me of what is said at 1Tim 1:3-7. All this gives something to research, but is useless to understanding the Holy Scriptures.
It is very true that the Hebrew Language was given to mankind by God, Gen 11:1.
Since the message God gave mankind was for every human, God used a language that was easy to translate into many other languages, both Hebrew and Greek.
This system takes the concept of easy understanding away, for only a person who has unlimited time could understand exactly what is being said.
This tortuous system is not needed, because the Hebrew Scriptures are a start of God's purpose, and the Greek Scriptures sum up God's purpose. Both must agree and they do NOW, without this complicated system to understand God's word.
Paul mentioned that he did not come to the people with hard to understand language or words, but with simple things that even children could understand, 1Cor 2:1-10
When we look for a complicated system to understand God's word, we are going completely away from what Jesus said at Luke 10:21, I thank you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones, but have revealed them to babes.

I've seen this kind of thinking before.

There's nothing easy about understanding Hebrew or Greek. It's easy to pretend and make something up about the languages, create a sloppy translation, or arrogantly think that you can understand the translations.

A bit of humility can get you a long way.