• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Research

Hi everyone I'm Shannon, a third year undergraduate psychology student at Newcastle University. I am currently conducting research for my final year project into religiosity and mental health.
I need as many people as possible from all religions to complete a survey for me in order to gain enough results to draw conclusions! so if you have 20 minutes to spare to help a student out please go to
http://tinyurl.com/latsu5v to complete the anonymous survey!
everyone who completes the survey has the chance to be entered into a free prize draw to win 1 of 8 £10 amazon vouchers!
thank you so much guys!

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I just want to point out that the results for the study have a good chance to be skewed as the questions only take into account the current beliefs you hold. So if you've recently converted or deconverted from a faith that has impacted your mental health in some way. So for example a person who has been raised Muslim and developed insecurities because of this (e.g. for homosexuality or a similar source of social rejection) and became atheist, they would show in the results as an unhappy atheist although the source of their unhappiness was in fact Islam.

I just want to point out that the results for the study have a good chance to be skewed as the questions only take into account the current beliefs you hold. So if you've recently converted or deconverted from a faith that has impacted your mental health in some way. So for example a person who has been raised Muslim and developed insecurities because of this (e.g. for homosexuality or a similar source of social rejection) and became atheist, they would show in the results as an unhappy atheist although the source of their unhappiness was in fact Islam.
That's a great point! As the religiosity part of the questionnaire was developed by my research supervisor I will pass that onto him! Thankyou! :)

Many repetitive questions, good luck
I know I'm so sorry about the repetitiveness! The scales used are all pre-existing scales so I didn't develop any of them myself! The reason that they repeat themselves though is to check that your answers are consistent! So it's kind of a double edged sword! Thanks for giving it your time though! I really appreciate it!

Done. Took a bit longer than 20 minutes I think though :p Quite the thorough survey.
Thankyou so much! I do really appreciate it as one of the hardest parts of Carrying research when you're a mere student is getting participants so I really appreciate the help!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I really appreciate that you took the time to do that for me! Hopefully you'll win one of the vouchers! Haha! Thanks again!

The biggest issue I had is that the questions are also skewed towards monotheism or pantheism. I didn't know how to answer the questions properly being a Polytheist. Also some of the terms are broad, and don't necessarily cover my "religious" practices.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Shannon. Done.
I'm an atheist, so answered with that mindset, but mostly seemed applicable. Couple of questions had me blinking, in terms of how they were phrased when compared to non-belief. No biggie though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The first part of the survey, it needs a distinction between if you do those religious acts because you are religious or for other personal reasons.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone I'm Shannon, a third year undergraduate psychology student at Newcastle University. I am currently conducting research for my final year project into religiosity and mental health.
I need as many people as possible from all religions to complete a survey for me in order to gain enough results to draw conclusions! so if you have 20 minutes to spare to help a student out please go to
http://tinyurl.com/latsu5v to complete the anonymous survey!
everyone who completes the survey has the chance to be entered into a free prize draw to win 1 of 8 £10 amazon vouchers!
thank you so much guys!
I will submit it but I can't remember if Newcastle uses SONA Systems. Do you? Also, good choice going with Qualtrics (although this probably wasn't your decision).

Hi! Newcastle does also use the sona system but for this survey that system is only being used for other students within the psychology programme so they can receive research participation credits! As to qualtrics, it is the recommended system so I assume the university has a contract with them but it is a useful tool! (Despite being quite tricky at times!) thanks for your time!

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi! Newcastle does also use the sona system but for this survey that system is only being used for other students
I know. I helped develop it, and my suggestions that services extend beyond in-house participant pool management were determined to be ultimately more trouble than they were worth.

Despite being quite tricky at times!
There is an inverse relationship between how tricky a statistical analysis software package, survey software/service, etc., is to use and how useful it is. SPSS is barely better than Excel while R is free and vastly more powerful, bur R is harder to use. Same with MATLAB vs. Mathematica or SurveyMonkey vs. Qualtrics. At least Qualtrics has Qualtrics University.

thanks for your time!
I remember the difficulties getting responses and continue to face research challenges, so I'm happy to help another. Plus I think I recall reading something from your PI (having taken the survey I got to the debriefing page).

I know. I helped develop it, and my suggestions that services extend beyond in-house participant pool management were determined to be ultimately more trouble than they were worth.

There is an inverse relationship between how tricky a statistical analysis software package, survey software/service, etc., is to use and how useful it is. SPSS is barely better than Excel while R is free and vastly more powerful, bur R is harder to use. Same with MATLAB vs. Mathematica or SurveyMonkey vs. Qualtrics. At least Qualtrics has Qualtrics University.

I remember the difficulties getting responses and continue to face research challenges, so I'm happy to help another. Plus I think I recall reading something from your PI (having taken the survey I got to the debriefing page).
Yeah it's definitely s challenge! You can put together the best questionnaire in the world but if no one responds or people who aren't you mr target sample respond then it's fairly disappointing! But I suppose at my stage it's just a learning curve! Thankyou! :)

Yeah it's definitely a challenge! You can put together the best questionnaire in the world but if no one responds or people who aren't you the target sample respond then it's fairly disappointing! But I suppose at my stage it's just a learning curve! Thankyou! :)