• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Repugnance and prominence

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
It's interesting to see what people are ok with, and what they are willing to overlook when it comes to public figures. Many people look at a divisive figure like Trump and immediately like or dislike the man. This isn't unique to him, though

For those of you who aren't caught up on recent events, there's another divisive figure named Andrew Tate who has become both famous and infamous seemingly out of nowhere. Up until now, those who like him praised him as a male role model for young men to model their lives after, while those who dislike him have admonished his misogynistic takes on women, and the way he seems to run his businesses like scam centers. Regardless, he's under investigation currently for sex trafficing and other gnarly charges

As for myself, I'd have to say that I'm not a fan of either one of them - even from the beginning. I tend to write people off on egotistical behavior. It's one reason why the new atheist movement never resonated with me - people like Richard Dawkins really turn me off with their smugness. Cynical and pointedly sarcastic banter also bore me deeply, but that also comes across as smugness to me

Needless to say, many people do like these figures and have no qualms about looking over the percieved negatives for what they see as the positive aspects of their message. After all, nobody is perfect, right?

What about you guys? What things that prominent figures say or do cause you to write them off completely? Are you willing to overlook red flags if you feel the good outweighs the bad?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It's interesting to see what people are ok with, and what they are willing to overlook when it comes to public figures. Many people look at a divisive figure like Trump and immediately like or dislike the man. This isn't unique to him, though

For those of you who aren't caught up on recent events, there's another divisive figure named Andrew Tate who has become both famous and infamous seemingly out of nowhere. Up until now, those who like him praised him as a male role model for young men to model their lives after, while those who dislike him have admonished his misogynistic takes on women, and the way he seems to run his businesses like scam centers. Regardless, he's under investigation currently for sex trafficing and other gnarly charges

As for myself, I'd have to say that I'm not a fan of either one of them - even from the beginning. I tend to write people off on egotistical behavior. It's one reason why the new atheist movement never resonated with me - people like Richard Dawkins really turn me off with their smugness. Cynical and pointedly sarcastic banter also bore me deeply, but that also comes across as smugness to me

Needless to say, many people do like these figures and have no qualms about looking over the percieved negatives for what they see as the positive aspects of their message. After all, nobody is perfect, right?

What about you guys? What things that prominent figures say or do cause you to write them off completely? Are you willing to overlook red flags if you feel the good outweighs the bad?

I tend to ignore prominent figures. (They return the favor.) You can't really get an idea of who they really are anymore than you can a character played in a movie, or in a book. You just see a tiny smidget of who they are, or who they're marketing. It doesn't seem real.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I tend to ignore prominent figures. (They return the favor.) You can't really get an idea of who they really are anymore than you can a character played in a movie, or in a book. You just see a tiny smidget of who they are, or who they're marketing. It doesn't seem real.

Yup! Just another talking head on the screen trying to sell yah something

amorphous_constellation

The thing is, those figures do seem like products of our society. Our society is centered around money and gain, right? That's what fills the tv screens, the internet and magazine articles, and it's what your parents told you to focus on. So then it's no surprise, that people here would be sometimes infatuated with the figures that are riding at the top of the ship. And if the gain of money has a somewhat negative relation to morals, people apparently haven't been trained to be that sensitive to it

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

In the case of public figures such as politicians or some other official, I tend to look at them more from the standpoint of what policies and platforms they may or may not support. In the case of individuals who might be in the public eye but hold no real political power, then I might look at them differently. With Tate, if he's guilty of the crimes he's being charged with, then all I would say is, let him be judged.

Some people who may be considered repugnant (or "deplorable") might be celebrated in some circles because they're either shocking to polite society or otherwise **** off the upper crust. That may be a consequence of several factors, but the result seems to be a large segment of the populace has become more cynical, alienated, and disaffected by the larger society. Along with that is a certain undercurrent of mistrust of government which has been around since the Vietnam/Watergate era, which seems to feed in to various conspiracy theories floating about. The politicians and the government have had a serious PR problem for quite some time now, and they seem to have lost touch with the old-fashioned Dale Carnegie approach.

As for your question about whether there's anything a public figure might say or do which would cause me to write them off completely, I think it would probably have to be several things to get to that point, not just one thing - unless it was some kind of horrific crime or other atrocious act. As one whose politics is heavily skewed towards the left, I've never thought too highly of either political party, as the people invariably have to choose between the lesser of two evils. It's been functionally practical, but it leaves a lot of people dissatisfied and disaffected.

Viker

Häxan

I can't say I actually like any prominent figures. Most of the people I like/follow are small time or low profile, many just plain obscure, outdated, etc. I'm not normal.

For instance, I voted against Trump...not entirely for Biden. I suppose I was willing to overlook a few things to come to that choice. If it had been a vote for most ostentatious old man, it'd probably been Trump.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Ties.
Ties are a red flag. People who are in the business of lying to you wear ties. Lawyers, bankers, politicians have to strangle the blood flow to their head lest they get red faced from lying.
I'm willing to have a second look, though.
Hypocrisy.
That takes the cake. When I learn that someone thinks they are entitled to preferential treatment because they are something better, I'm not a fan.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Does the material of the tie make a difference? Someone wearing this:
61o3cdwDSNL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
might come across a bit differently than your average grey striped tie.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Can't be. People who wear ties are dog people. Well, people who freely decide to wear ties. Maybe they've been made to by their boss. Then I can sympathise.

My son used to willingly wear ties to school, and he doesn't much care for dogs. Definitely a cat guy...