• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Scuppered Carter's 1980 re-election

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Why didn't Carter make this deal?

Because Reagan made the deal to help himself win the election. The Iranians hated Carter, who had sent a mission to rescue our diplomats but which failed because of mechanical problems. Reagan made Carter's inability to get the hostages back a campaign issue, and he made all sorts of threats about what he would do if elected. The Iranians used Reagan to get revenge on Carter, since they knew that there was no point in holding the hostages forever or harming them. What Reagan is alleged to have done was illegal, but it was never really investigated. By the time Reagan took office, his administration was not about to investigate their newly installed leader for something so treasonous.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Because Reagan made the deal to help himself win the election. The Iranians hated Carter, who had sent a mission to rescue our diplomats but which failed because of mechanical problems. Reagan made Carter's inability to get the hostages back a campaign issue, and he made all sorts of threats about what he would do if elected. The Iranians used Reagan to get revenge on Carter, since they knew that there was no point in holding the hostages forever or harming them. What Reagan is alleged to have done was illegal, but it was never really investigated. By the time Reagan took office, his administration was not about to investigate their newly installed leader for something so treasonous.

The Iranians hated Carter?
I guess you are right about that.

“I dislike Carter so much that I hate to have my name ‘Jimmy’ the same as his name,” said Jimmy Delshad, an Iranian Jew and mayor of Beverly Hills.
“Not only did Carter cause problems for Jews and non-Jews who were forced out of Iran, but he changed the whole dynamic of the Middle East by his backing of Khomeini, and that has had a whole ripple effect in the Middle East, which America is still trying to recover from,” Delshad said, referring to the Ayatollah Rouhollah Khomeini, who led the revolutionary, fundamentalist Islamic Republic.
Jimmy Carter hatred is alive in Iranian L.A.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
The Iranians hated Carter?
I guess you are right about that.

“I dislike Carter so much that I hate to have my name ‘Jimmy’ the same as his name,” said Jimmy Delshad, an Iranian Jew and mayor of Beverly Hills.
“Not only did Carter cause problems for Jews and non-Jews who were forced out of Iran, but he changed the whole dynamic of the Middle East by his backing of Khomeini, and that has had a whole ripple effect in the Middle East, which America is still trying to recover from,” Delshad said, referring to the Ayatollah Rouhollah Khomeini, who led the revolutionary, fundamentalist Islamic Republic.
Jimmy Carter hatred is alive in Iranian L.A.

I meant the radical Iranian government, not the general population, and your article really doesn't explain why the fundamentalist clerics running that government hated Carter. The US government had, in fact, conspired with the UK to overthrow the democratically elected government of Iran in the 1953 Iranian coup d'etat, which installed the Shah. Ayatollah Khomeini was an Islamic fundamentalist who was a bitter enemy of the Shah's brutal regime. Carter made a point of praising the Shah as "an island of stability" in the Middle East, which could not have been further from the truth. The Shah was overthrown by the fundamentalist movement in 1979 and Khomeini installed as the head of a theocracy that was perhaps even more brutal than the Shah was. Meanwhile, Shah Pahlavi fled to the US for cancer treatment, and that enraged the fundamentalists so much that it provoked the sacking of the US embassy along with taking its staff as hostages.

Your article was about an Iranian Jew who hated Carter, because he thought Carter was responsible for the Shah's downfall. He does not even reflect how the majority of Iranians feel, because he wanted the Shah to remain in power. The Shah fell from power because most Iranians wanted him gone, not just fundamentalist Islamic clerics. The ones who helped Reagan with his elections were the members of the fundamentalist regime that the subject of your article also hated. You are confusing different groups of Carter haters, who hated him for very different reasons.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I meant the radical Iranian government, not the general population, and your article really doesn't explain why the fundamentalist clerics running that government hated Carter. The US government had, in fact, conspired with the UK to overthrow the democratically elected government of Iran in the 1953 Iranian coup d'etat, which installed the Shah. Ayatollah Khomeini was an Islamic fundamentalist who was a bitter enemy of the Shah's brutal regime. Carter made a point of praising the Shah as "an island of stability" in the Middle East, which could not have been further from the truth. The Shah was overthrown by the fundamentalist movement in 1979 and Khomeini installed as the head of a theocracy that was perhaps even more brutal than the Shah was. Meanwhile, Shah Pahlavi fled to the US for cancer treatment, and that enraged the fundamentalists so much that it provoked the sacking of the US embassy along with taking its staff as hostages.

Your article was about an Iranian Jew who hated Carter, because he thought Carter was responsible for the Shah's downfall. He does not even reflect how the majority of Iranians feel, because he wanted the Shah to remain in power. The Shah fell from power because most Iranians wanted him gone, not just fundamentalist Islamic clerics. The ones who helped Reagan with his elections were the members of the fundamentalist regime that the subject of your article also hated. You are confusing different groups of Carter haters, who hated him for very different reasons.

While there are many people who seemingly feel justified hating Carter (I know some Americans who still hate him), it does seem rather odd that the Islamic fundamentalists apparently liked Reagan and ostensibly wanted America to take on a more aggressive role in the Middle East. The rise of Reagan definitely emboldened the Christian "moral majority," and planted the seeds of America's global aggression and the so-called "Christian nationalism" we've been seeing lately.

By supporting Reagan over Carter, the Iranians gave their assent to this, as if they wanted a more belligerent and hostile America, along with a new breed of radical Christian who tend to see Islam as America's mortal enemy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Ok, I was just agreeing with your point.