• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Scuppered Carter's 1980 re-election

Orbit

I'm a planet
Republicans scuppered Carter's 1980 re-election by sending a delegation to get the message to Iran not to release American hostages because they would get a better deal from Reagan, who was opposing Carter in the election. I'm pretty sure this isn't paywalled, at least not right now.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Republicans scuppered Carter's 1980 re-election by sending a delegation to get the message to Iran not to release American hostages because they would get a better deal from Reagan, who was opposing Carter in the election. I'm pretty sure this isn't paywalled, at least not right now.

I remember reading about this many years ago, and it's been generally dismissed as one of those "crazy conspiracy theories," but I couldn't see any reason to automatically doubt it either. It's interesting that we're finally hearing about this now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That seems to be when Christians sold out their religion by voting against a real Christian to elect a fake one.
It seems a recent development that the left
attacks many people as not Christian enuf.
What does this mean?
We need more atheists in office.
My un-Christianity is pure...not the
lame hypocritical backsliding variety.

Last edited:

Daemon Sophic

I remember reading about this many years ago, and it's been generally dismissed as one of those "crazy conspiracy theories," but I couldn't see any reason to automatically doubt it either. It's interesting that we're finally hearing about this now.
Yeah. I remember reading about and hearing of this on the day after Reagan was sworn into office. It was then, and still is to this day, an obvious no-brainer. The twits of the world swore and made jokes that the Iranians were "scared of Reagan", so they released the prisoners so as to avoid being nuked and/or invaded by the USA. (Even back then, the righties were easy marks.) :facepalm:

OF COURSE Reagan and his handlers signed a pact with the Iranians simply to get Reagan in. :shrug:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It seems a recent development that the left
attacks many people as not Christian enuf.
What does this mean?
We need more atheists in office.
My un-Christianity is pure.
If you are not learning to be like Jesus, and just care about believing in Jesus, that's not Christian enough.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. I remember reading about and hearing of this on the day after Reagan was sworn into office. It was then, and still is to this day, an obvious no-brainer. The twits of the world swore and made jokes that the Iranians were "scared of Reagan", so they released the prisoners so as to avoid being nuked and/or invaded by the USA. (Even back then, the righties were easy marks.) :facepalm:

OF COURSE Reagan and his handlers signed a pact with the Iranians simply to get Reagan in. :shrug:

Another interesting aspect of this is that, by supporting Reagan over Carter, the Iranians supported a much more militaristic and aggressive US foreign policy.

Daemon Sophic

Another interesting aspect of this is that, by supporting Reagan over Carter, the Iranians supported a much more militaristic and aggressive US foreign policy.
Yes. But the Iranians wanted weapons to fight the war with Iraq that they were in. And of course the big thing about Reagan and his M.I.C. cabinet was that they were perfectly fine selling higher tech weapons to the highest bidder. If you recall, the Iran vs Iraq war (begun 1 year before Reagan, and ended 1 year after Reagan's term as POTUS) was a much higher tech Iran blasting away at human waves of Iraqis who had outdated weaponry. Scuttling Carter and handing the hostages to Reagan was the first step in the Iran-Contra Affair.

Those old GOPers probably thought that all of the nasty Muslims would wipe each other out, but all they did was cull the more peaceful elements away, and heavily arm the remaining militants. :facepalm:
You'll also recall that Osama Bin Laden was a US-backed (and armed) extremist who was useful to us by fighting the USSR to an economic standstill in Afghanistan (also finished in 1988).
But of course the GOPers didn't realize that extremists with US weapons and training, juuuuuust might turn and bite the hand that fed them. :rolleyes:

pearl

I have not read the entire article but, it is as I remember for the most part and played a large part in Carter's defeat, but not the only one, as Ted Kennedy opposed him in the primary weakening his popularity with democrats. But the whole thing was a political dirty trick bag, tied in with the 'Iran Contra Affair'.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not read the entire article but, it is as I remember for the most part and played a large part in Carter's defeat, but not the only one, as Ted Kennedy opposed him in the primary weakening his popularity with democrats. But the whole thing was a political dirty trick bag, tied in with the 'Iran Contra Affair'.

Basically, the GOP, with a lot of help from media, were able to successfully paint Carter as weak, ineffectual, "wimpy," and this became even more pronounced after that ill-fated rescue attempt to try to get the hostages out. Multiple helicopters had mechanical issues which forced Carter to abort the mission. That looked pretty bad for Carter and for the military, who appeared weak and incompetent in the eyes of the world, while the Iranians crowed about the whole thing.

And yes, Ted Kennedy didn't help much either. Another weak point was on Afghanistan, which Carter also appeared impotent in dealing with.

It was a major turning point that pretty much nullified whatever peace-loving attitudes which had been growing in America as a result of the anti-war movement. It was at this point that the anti-war, peaceful sentiment within the U.S. practically died - or least became marginalized. I hope the Iranians are proud of themselves for creating this monster.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is this supposed to help Biden get re-elected?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
This scandal was pretty widely rumored after Reagan took office, but, of course, it was never really investigated. I remember it, because the Iranians made it pretty obvious that they were not going to release the hostages while Carter was in office. Reagan had used the Iranian crisis to bash Carter. Here is a non-paywalled article on the subject:

Expert analyzes new account of GOP deal that used Iran hostage crisis for gain

Later on, Reagan's administration was caught exchanging arms for dirty money in the Iran-Contra affair, but Reagan managed to get a pass on that one, as well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Why didn't Carter make this deal?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Also, doesn't that sound like espionage? Was this a crime? I wonder how the hostage's families feel about this,

To get my kid back I'd have been happy if Carter had made this deal. I'm not morally superior or anything. Just getting my kid back.
Carter didn't do it, should have.

Yeah I know the US is not supposed to negotiate for hostages. We seem to do it anyway. Maybe the concept is wrong.
So Reagan made a deal that Carter couldn't, wouldn't or didn't think of. :shrug:

wellwisher

President Carter was a good Christian man; humble peanut farmer from Georgia, active in his Church. The 1970's had been a time of turmoil; Nixon and Viet Nam era. Candidate Carter, in 1976, was seen as a good man and honest soul, who the nation craved, for a new healthier change. Unfortunately, Carter got over his head as President, as inside and outside pressures took advantage of his good nature.

Carter was also one of those rare presidents who would read everything that crossed his desk, instead of depending on others to give him their summary. He was very smart, but his hands on approach was very time consuming, and he got worn out as time went on, and then savaged in many directions.

There was the 1970's energy crisis where Arab nations; OPAC nations, lowered world oil supplies. US gas supplies fell and prices skyrocketed. I remember sitting in long lines at gas stations; all the way down the road, and rationing gas at one open pump; 5 gallons each. It was even worse than the mess created by Biden and the Democrats when they tampered with domestic fuel exploration, production and supplies. Those who revise history make the same mistakes, often on purpose.

Carter, like Biden then presided over a period of very high inflation. Mortgage interest rates were 12-16%, compared to 5%, today. It was hard buying a house with a reasonable monthly payment. Then the Ayatollahs, which were the Religious leaders of Persia; Iran, overthrew the more secular, Shah of Iran (king), who had been an ally with the USA. Iran went from modern secular to back to the Middle Ages, over night, controlled by harsh and militant Religious leaders. This is when the American Hostages were taken. Ted Koppel, of ABC, would begin his news program; America Held Hostage.

When Candidate Regan came along, he projected strength and resolve, which was how you dealt with the Ayatollahs, Arab oil sheiks, the USSR, etc. President Carter was too much of a peace maker, and could be ignored and controlled by bullies.

Regan also had new ideas about how to deal with inflation; tax cuts and reduce government spending. Regan had been governor of California and his approach had been successful. Regan had also been the head of the Actor's Union from his days as an actor. He would use TV and media, like a pro, to get the America people behind his ideas and to also undermine political noise and foot dragging.

Regan symbolized another changing of the times, from the ends of hippies and love generation; Carter was the last, to the Yuppies; young urban professionals, who now gave up their bell bottoms and tie died shirts, and dressed for success and corporate competition. America rebuilt the military under Regan and the USSR came unraveled.

Just as Jimmie Carter was right for his moment, so was Regan the man for his time. The conspiracy theory is more about lingering Democrat resentment, for being so easily man handled by Regan's popularity and media expertise. President Carter would go on to do charity work and formed the Habitat for Humanity. This was where he really shined as a person since nobody tried to undermine his good works with his charity.