• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Hate College Now, Apparently

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Could someone explain this to me?

"As recently as two years ago, most Republicans and Republican leaners held a positive view of the role of colleges and universities. In September 2015, 54% of Republicans said colleges and universities had a positive impact on the way things were going in the country; 37% rated their impact negatively.

By 2016, Republicans’ ratings of colleges and universities were mixed (43% positive, 45% negative). Today, for the first time on a question asked since 2010, a majority (58%) of Republicans say colleges and universities are having a negative effect on the way things are going in the country, while 36% say they have a positive effect.
"
From - Sharp Partisan Divisions in Views of National Institutions

I just... I can't comprehend how anyone could possibly see colleges and universities as a negative thing. Halp! Someone explain this to me! o_O

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Most universities are extremely liberal, socially, and this will be, at the very least, disappointing to people like me who feel a bit claustrophobic and outcast almost, suffocated by it all. I know at the university I would have attended the English department was so feminist that it deducted points from essays if the writer disagreed with many of those extremist feminist principles.

jonathan180iq

Offering differing worldviews and open discussion about philosophical stances is a threat to entrenched stances... It's no more complicated than that.

When foundational concepts are questioned, those who hold certain beliefs are threatened. It's a reflection of the validity of the foundations - which is another reason that actual debate has been replaced with nothing more than partisan posturing and bickering.

"You don't have to think to survive, so nobody listens."

Deidre

I've read recently that some of this negative talk has to do with student loans and that hurts the economy if people are burdened with overwhelming debt?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I've read recently that some of this negative talk has to do with student loans and that hurts the economy if people are burdened with overwhelming debt?
I think this is important. I can't remember where I saw it, but I read that less than 20% of the tuition you pay actually goes towards your education costs. The majority of it seems to go towards athletics, student activities, administrative overhead, student centers, gyms, etc.

Laika

Premium Member

"As recently as two years ago, most Republicans and Republican leaners held a positive view of the role of colleges and universities. In September 2015, 54% of Republicans said colleges and universities had a positive impact on the way things were going in the country; 37% rated their impact negatively.

By 2016, Republicans’ ratings of colleges and universities were mixed (43% positive, 45% negative). Today, for the first time on a question asked since 2010, a majority (58%) of Republicans say colleges and universities are having a negative effect on the way things are going in the country, while 36% say they have a positive effect.
"

I just... I can't comprehend how anyone could possibly see colleges and universities as a negative thing. Halp! Someone explain this to me! o_O

As we are talking about Republicans, I can take a guess its to do with the idea the colleges and universities are full of Liberals and Progressives and serve as propaganda institutions to promote "leftist"/"cultural marxist"/"progressive" views. Some videos from Prager University may help "explain" how conservatives can reach this view (regardless as to whether its true or not).

Worse, higher education is accused of having "speech codes" that enforce "political correctness" as a restriction on free speech.

They'd also argue that the "liberal" bias at Universities is determintal to the interests of students.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The poll is as usual superficial. The "why" question was not asked. And it's worth noting that the change as been since 2015 which means that various points noted here were not responsible for the change. Again, what changed in 2015?

And another way the poll is superficial is lack of asking questions such as differentiating science from liberal arts in higher education.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Most universities are extremely liberal, socially, and this will be, at the very least, disappointing to people like me who feel a bit claustrophobic and outcast almost, suffocated by it all. I know at the university I would have attended the English department was so feminist that it deducted points from essays if the writer disagreed with many of those extremist feminist principles.
There is a strong correlation between intelligence, thoughtfulness and higher education. Your university's English department is neither typical nor representative. Remember ... extreme cases make for bad law.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

"

I'm not Republican but for me its not colleges and universities that are bad but the push for all students to attend college's and universities even for degrees that don't amount to anything after college.

My nephew was a talented carpenter pushed by his parents to go to school, he chose engineering. Now finished he's a manager, I wonder how happy he will be as he gets older.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a strong correlation between intelligence, thoughtfulness and higher education. Your university's English department is neither typical nor repesentative. Remember ... extreme cases make for bad law.
Many universities have a liberal bias, that is pretty well noted.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
According to a poll I saw several years ago, roughly 90% of all ph.d.'s that are either more Republican or Democratic tend to be the latter.

Maybe there's a reason for that.:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to a poll I saw several years ago, roughly 90% of all ph.d.'s that are either more Republican or Democratic tend to be the latter.

Maybe there's a reason for that.:D
Because they've been taught to believe that? Had it drilled into them at uni.