• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Are Getting More Religious, Democrats Less So

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Fewer than half of Americans consider religion to be an “extremely” or “very” important part of their identity, according to a new study.

The American Family Survey, an annual national survey conducted by the Deseret News and the Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy at Brigham Young University, found that just 43% of Americans viewed religion as a core component of their identity in 2018.

Finding 6. Republicans are getting more religious, Democrats less so.

There’s a sorting in religion and politics: Republicans are becoming considerably more religious than Democrats.

Overall, only 30% of Democrats say that being engaged in a religious community is essential for a fulfilling life, while 58% of Republicans do. (The exception to this is African American Democrats, who resemble Republicans in being deeply religious.)

[Christopher Karpowitz BYU] says that this trend toward “identity cleavages” in religion and politics is “fairly new in American politics,” and is not necessarily for the better.

“It’s worrisome both politically and religiously,” he said. “If religions can’t be a comfortable home for people of both parties, then it’s challenging for them to make the claim that they are welcoming to all, and that they’re places where people of very different backgrounds can find solace and community.”

Overall, he said the A F S findings confirm many of the trends other studies have shown about American religion, which is becoming less important to the majority over time.

“There’s a subset of Americans for whom religious communities and beliefs are critically important to every facet of their lives, but the percentage of Americans to whom that applies is shrinking every year.”
source

So, one of the conclusions here is that this identity cleavage is not necessarily for the better.

What do you think?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well...I usually vote Democratic and I'm getting more religious again, personally. Irreligion is mostly a thing among white middle and upper class liberals and progressives, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Prestor John

"Fewer than half of Americans consider religion to be an “extremely” or “very” important part of their identity, according to a new study.

The American Family Survey, an annual national survey conducted by the Deseret News and the Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy at Brigham Young University, found that just 43% of Americans viewed religion as a core component of their identity in 2018.

Finding 6. Republicans are getting more religious, Democrats less so.

There’s a sorting in religion and politics: Republicans are becoming considerably more religious than Democrats.

Overall, only 30% of Democrats say that being engaged in a religious community is essential for a fulfilling life, while 58% of Republicans do. (The exception to this is African American Democrats, who resemble Republicans in being deeply religious.)

[Christopher Karpowitz BYU] says that this trend toward “identity cleavages” in religion and politics is “fairly new in American politics,” and is not necessarily for the better.

“It’s worrisome both politically and religiously,” he said. “If religions can’t be a comfortable home for people of both parties, then it’s challenging for them to make the claim that they are welcoming to all, and that they’re places where people of very different backgrounds can find solace and community.”

Overall, he said the A F S findings confirm many of the trends other studies have shown about American religion, which is becoming less important to the majority over time.

“There’s a subset of Americans for whom religious communities and beliefs are critically important to every facet of their lives, but the percentage of Americans to whom that applies is shrinking every year.”
source

So, one of the conclusions here is that this identity cleavage is not necessarily for the better.

What do you think?

It may sound strange, but I feel that those who deny reality are those who are less religious.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What I would like to know is which issues Democrats are willing to compromise on and which ones Republicans will compromise on. I believe the Democrats could move towards the Republican side on some issues, and I think Republicans also don't care as much as they claim about certain issues. If the Republicans are indeed religious then lets get religious people motivated to fix the problems with the election system. It is in their best interest as well as the non-religious best interest. There can be compromise in the interest of national unity, freedom and security. Its nowhere near as difficult as rumor would have it.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Makes sense. Younger generations vote democratic and they're usually less religious. The republican party relies on the religion card for votes. In the conservative culture, if you're not a christian you're not a 'true' patriot.

IMO, I have no problem with people believing whatever they want. Just keep it out of my secular government.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I just don't find metrics that attempt to measure religiosity useful anymore for a variety of reasons. Metrics that base themselves on self-assessment are particularly useless in my view. It doesn't tell you anything about the person's actual religiousness. It tells you how much they identify themselves with whatever they think the word "religious" means. Given the cultural connotations the word "religious" can have among certain demographic groups, the results of this survey are hardly surprising and tell us far more about cultural narratives than they tell us about religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
At this point with their unbridled support for Trump, thus ignoring so much of what he's said and done, I'm not sure I'd call most Evangelicals today "religious", especially since the last poll I saw had them at 81% support for him. I'm not playing partisan politics with this but simply comparing Trump's behavior with what's moral as defined by both the Jewish and Christian scriptures. Even the issues of adultery and his chants of "Lock her up!" should be enough evidence that he doesn't even get close to exhibiting basic Judeo-Christian teachings nor what's also in the Constitution.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not find is useful nor necessary for any religion to associate itself with any party, or politics in general.
How ever it is certainly reasonable for a religion to associate itself with the alleviation of social issues.

Religion has been in decline ever since the enlightenment. And this has become more noticeable with the rise of education and scientific knowledge.

There is certainly a backlash in some American religious circles, against this increase in knowledge and education.

It is also evident amongst a section of the community represented by Trump. who find it convenient to disbelieve scientific knowledge, when it does not support their own personal beliefs and interests, or does not fall within their ability to understand.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do not find is useful nor necessary for any religion to associate itself with any party, or politics in general.
How ever it is certainly reasonable for a religion to associate itself with the alleviation of social issues.
Amen, and well said.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
This doesn't bode well for the future of the US

I think the US could do better with a little less religion. A healthy balance would be preferable; non-believers have much to offer and it may not be such a bad thing if we had more of them around.