• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans and education.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why do they hate it so much? It isn't enough that our public schools rank among the lowest in the world, it isn't enough that higher education is already expensive, and it isn't enough that there are direct correlations between the amount of schooling one has and one's potential income, and even knowing that when you have more educated people means less on welfare, they still cut funds to public schools or just don't increase the very small amounts it gets, they want to give our already underpaid and under appreciated teaches less, and they want to cut funding to higher education (which increases tuition) while decreasing the amount of student aid that is given (which makes something that is already very expensive and way ahead of inflation hit bank accounts even harder).
So why is it that Republicans hate education? Or in the very least they apparently think it is very unimportant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why do they hate it so much? It isn't enough that our public schools rank among the lowest in the world, it isn't enough that higher education is already expensive, and it isn't enough that there are direct correlations between the amount of schooling one has and one's potential income, and even knowing that when you have more educated people means less on welfare, they still cut funds to public schools or just don't increase the very small amounts it gets, they want to give our already underpaid and under appreciated teaches less, and they want to cut funding to higher education (which increases tuition) while decreasing the amount of student aid that is given (which makes something that is already very expensive and way ahead of inflation hit bank accounts even harder).
So why is it that Republicans hate education? Or in the very least they apparently think it is very unimportant.
Reining in teacher union power is hardly to be opposed to education. Perhaps your disdain for Republicans is coloring your perception of them.
All the Republicans I know are very much in favor of improving education. Of course, just how to do it is a bone of contention.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Wolf, you are correct the Republicans are making severe cuts to education in several states -- such as Maine, Texas, Wisconsin, and so forth.

Some political analysts have suggested they are attempting to destroy the unions that represent teachers and college faculty by cutting education so severely that school districts and universities are forced to cut back on staff (Texas is scheduled to lay off tens of thousands of teachers, for example) and/or cut back on staff salaries.

Those teacher and faculty unions provide a political counter balance to the corporations that fund the Republicans because those unions largely support Democrats. Hence, the Republican animosity towards them.

So it could be the Republicans are attacking eduction in several states as a means of securing their political power by destroying the unions.

It would seem, however, a bit underhanded to cripple the future earning power of a state's children just to get more political power. But then, politicians are a pretty underhanded lot to begin with.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Reining in teacher union power is hardly to be opposed to education. Perhaps your disdain for Republicans is coloring your perception of them.
No, my disdain is how my nieces and nephews will be subjected to an inferior education because the Republicans will not invest in education. My disdain is how many of my friends and myself will be faced with higher tuition fees and less money to pay for it. My disdain is how the right is claiming teachers make a lot of money (and even further right they will claim teachers live a lavish lifestyle), even though teachers really don't make that much.
My disdain in Indiana is the governors thinking private school vouchers and charter schools will fix the problem of a broken education system, while the public schools are forced to spread a very small budget as far as possible which cuts many enrichment and extra curricular activities.
Fixing the problem isn't telling teachers they don't have any power and giving less money to schools.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My disdain in Indiana is the governors thinking private school vouchers and charter schools will fix the problem of a broken education system, while the public schools are forced to spread a very small budget as far as possible which cuts many enrichment and extra curricular activities.
But even here you admit that they're trying to fix the problem. If you just disagree about the method, then why
paint them as wanting to destroy education? It's like asking, "Why do the Democrats want to destroy our economy?".

Even to me, Dems & Repubs both appear motivated to do good...I just despise their methods & results.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But even here you admit that they're trying to fix the problem. If you just disagree about the method, then why
paint them as wanting to destroy education? It's like asking, "Why do the Democrats want to destroy our economy?".
When there is report after report urging the governor to not do that because it will hurt education, then you can call into question if they are really wanting to fix it or not. And considering there are plenty of studies that show charter schools are not an inherent answer to education reform, yet those are all the rave.

Some political analysts have suggested they are attempting to destroy the unions that represent teachers and college faculty by cutting education so severely that school districts and universities are forced to cut back on staff (Texas is scheduled to lay off tens of thousands of teachers, for example) and/or cut back on staff salaries.
That makes since. Indiana Governor told colleges and universities to simply drop the benefits and wages their staff has to match "private sector" jobs.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its not a money problem. Its really a quality issue involving competency and ability to teach. School budgets at least in my state have more than enough funding. Most of the funding goes to overly lucrative benefits (Some examples include breast enlargements for free at taxpayer expense??? Free daycare for their own children at taxpayer expense??), highly paid faculty, and administration, and not funneled for actual education itself. Teachers are paid in regards to tenure and not by way of effectiveness. I would say a number of them (not all) could care less about the kids they "teach" because its all about themselves and their lucrative pay and retirements and the unions that support them without regard to economic impact on their community. The only good thing is some districts are realizing that and adjusting for everyone's benefit by way of responsible money management, reasonable benefits and pay consummating with the position, and careful selection in regards to capable and dedicated teachers. IMO.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Republicans undermine education because they don't fare well with an informed, knowledgeable electorate.
Neither do Dems.

When there is report after report urging the governor to not do that because it will hurt education, then you can call into question if they are really wanting to fix it or not. And considering there are plenty of studies that show charter schools are not an inherent answer to education reform, yet those are all the rave.
Would you say that there are no contrary studies?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would say a number of them (not all) could care less about the kids they "teach" because its all about themselves and their lucrative pay and retirements and the unions that support them without regard to economic impact on their community.
Teachers do not have lucrative pay though.

Neither do Dems.
Which party is cutting both public and higher education funding? Which party is reducing Pall Grant funds? I didn't get enough to cover my tuition this year, and if I was just a couple years younger and had to claim my parents income I simply would not be going to school next year with increased tuition and decreased Pell Grants.

Republicans undermine education because they don't fare well with an informed, knowledgeable electorate.
That is probably the case. After all, the right is still going on about how Obama isn't an American citizen, how our nation was founded upon Christian principles, early views of government that more reflect the Articles of Confederation than the Constitution, the evils of large unions. And if 12% is considered "large" to them, what is needed to be considered small? Or what would they consider something that is around 70%?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Teachers do not have lucrative pay though.

In this area, their compensation is pretty luxurious $50-$100K/yr, lifetime health care, 3 months off in the summer....better bennies than anyone I know who works in the private sector.

Which party is cutting both public and higher education funding? Which party is reducing Pall Grant funds? I didn't get enough to cover my tuition this year, and if I was just a couple years younger and had to claim my parents income I simply would not be going to school next year with increased tuition and decreased Pell Grants.
You're a net consumer of taxes...I'm a net payer....no wonder we disagree.

That is probably the case. After all, the right is still going on about how Obama isn't an American citizen, how our nation was founded upon Christian principles, early views of government that more reflect the Articles of Confederation than the Constitution, the evils of large unions. And if 12% is considered "large" to them, what is needed to be considered small? Or what would they consider something that is around 70%?
You're lumping an awful lot of people together, many of whom don't believe the things you're saying. Plus, you're ignoring the fact that a lot of Democrats believe a lot of loony things (eg, Obama is experienced, Gore won the presidential election, Palin said she could see Russia from her house, etc, etc).
I suggest a less partisan perspective.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You're a net consumer of taxes...I'm a net payer....no wonder we disagree.
Sorry, I pay my taxes. Although I have been paying less since Obama has been in office, and it has been a blessing since the first pay check it went into effect.

There seems to be more than a fair amount of truth to that.
Seeing as how the more educated people are the less likely they are to favor Conservative policy, there is probably more than just a fair amount of truth to that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, I pay my taxes. Although I have been paying less since Obama has been in office, and it has been a blessing since the first pay check it went into effect.
By my comment I didn't mean that you pay no taxes, but rather that you get far more bang for your buck. I get nuthin but grief from a state & fed governments which tax the bejeesus out of me.

Seeing as how the more educated people are the less likely they are to favor Conservative policy, there is probably more than just a fair amount of truth to that.
I don't buy it. But even if true, I don't look for validation of my values upon looking around & seeing who has the fanciest degrees. I have enuf of those, & trust my own judgment. Btw, if it were shown that conservatives were more educated, would that mean you should change your views?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't buy it. But even if true, I don't look for validation of my values upon looking around & seeing who has the fanciest degrees. I have enuf of those, & trust my own judgment. Btw, if it were shown that conservatives were more educated, would that mean you should change your views?
Sure. But if you want to drag in statistics further, Liberals on average have a higher IQ than Conservatives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nor do corporate controlled Democrats, I suspect.
True. But such democrats tend to be far from the mainstream, like sensible Republicans that aren't trying to make it harder for people to get ahead.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure. But if you want to drag in statistics further, Liberals on average have a higher IQ than Conservatives.
I didn't see any statistics from you, nor do I detect superior brainpower here.
But I'd wager lefties have far less experience starting & running businesses,
giving them the luxury of believing in dysfunctional economic theories.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I don't doubt that one bit. My question is however, why can't they put that brain power to work and make more money with it?

Why does the lower brain power party have more money?

I see this crap all the time. I was doing some electrical work for this doctor who replaces knees. He is an orthopedic surgeon.

He asked me to repair his door knob while I was there. :facepalm:

kutulu

republicans are only republicans because they have the means to be. lol. if they were not so pocket heavy i believe the would make a hasty change to democrat...

that being said politics itself is a sham in america...

the president is our king and the officails are noble ruling class, they are to buisy sqaubbling over power that they cannot take a few moments to correct the problems of the country.