• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican Senators appear not to want part in a Constitutional crisis

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Read the Atlantic article coming in November.

Do you have pre-knowledge or are you just making a prediction?

Honestly, I just not a person to worry about predictions that may never come to pass. However, I will agree to eat my words if you'alls is right. :D

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you have pre-knowledge or are you just making a prediction?

Honestly, I just not a person to worry about predictions that may never come to pass. However, I will agree to eat my words if you'alls is right. :D
I've read the article. Have a copy in front of me at the moment. It's called "The Election that Could Break America" by Barton Gellman.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The subhead to that piece says it all. As far as I'm concerned it's all mouth noise Kabuki. Mitch will use all the power at his disposal to put the Great Leader on the throne.

But the GOP isn't saying what they'll do if the president resists leaving office.

I'd also be concerned about what the military and law enforcement do if it comes to that. The Republicans are stuck and seem kind of wishy-washy, since there are so many in the rank and file who are diehard Trump supporters. I was listening to the local Fox News radio affiliate this morning, and I've noticed they've really stepped up the "we love the police" and "we love the military" rhetoric.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd also be concerned about what the military and law enforcement do if it comes to that. The Republicans are stuck and seem kind of wishy-washy, since there are so many in the rank and file who are diehard Trump supporters. I was listening to the local Fox News radio affiliate this morning, and I've noticed they've really stepped up the "we love the police" and "we love the military" rhetoric.

I've only watched the movies about once, and only the first two movies, but it reminds me very much of the political atmosphere of the more disorganized Empire seen in the newest Star Wars movies. How General Hux ranks above Kylo Ren and is in charge of the troops, but Kylo Ren was the direct apprentice of the one above General Hux and though the troops would take orders from General Hux over Kylo Ren, all Kylo Ren had to do was use the Force and General Hux would be floating above the ground and gasping for breath. Just don't make Hux mad enough to call in his troops while he can actually speak!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'd prob not go so far as to say love, but I do still think there is a need for police and military.

Last thing we need on our plate is to look like Ecuador.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only watched the movies about once, and only the first two movies, but it reminds me very much of the political atmosphere of the more disorganized Empire seen in the newest Star Wars movies. How General Hux ranks above Kylo Ren and is in charge of the troops, but Kylo Ren was the direct apprentice of the one above General Hux and though the troops would take orders from General Hux over Kylo Ren, all Kylo Ren had to do was use the Force and General Hux would be floating above the ground and gasping for breath. Just don't make Hux mad enough to call in his troops while he can actually speak!

I saw those movies only once myself. I never could quite grasp the political system of the Republic or the Empire in the Star Wars universe.

But wasn't Darth Vader subordinate to Governor Tarkin in the first movie (the original from 1977)? He could have taken him out at any time.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd prob not go so far as to say love, but I do still think there is a need for police and military.

Last thing we need on our plate is to look like Ecuador.

I'm not sure what Ecuador looks like these days. I know that there's been some upheaval in Bolivia recently. Venezuela also still seems to be in crisis, although I haven't seen much in the news about them lately.

I agree that there is a need for police and military, just as there's a need for the fire department, paramedics, hospitals, etc. But it seems that the right-wing is really trying to butter up the police and military to try to win them over to their side.

PureX

Veteran Member
Republican Senators appear not to want part in a Constitutional crisis

You mean they want to add a conservative to gain a 6-3 advantage in the Supreme Court. Then if they can force a close election into the Court, they're willing to accept the result?

Well, why wouldn't they?

The Democrats can only win if they win by a wide margin. If it's close, the GOP will use the Supremes to steal it.
That's the plan. It worked for "W".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm 50-50. Not naive enough to believe them fully, but not ready to say they don't have any limits to what they'll do. They're not as bad as Trump.

Here in Colorado, our Republican senator is Cory Gardner. The only people who vote for him are Trump supporters, and then, only the most hardcore Trump supporters at that. Senator Gardner has gone on the record saying he will fight for an orderly and peaceful transition of power, should Mr. Trump lose. But I don't think there is man, woman, or child in Colorado who believes that Senator Gardner will do that, given he has never even once opposed Mr. Trump's will on any noteworthy issue. Not even the people who will vote for him believe him, from what I'm hearing. The Trump supporters I know are all for Mr. Trump refusing to concede, and they expect Senator Gardner to support him in that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So, how did he get elected?

Maybe you don't know Colorado as well as you think?
Tom

Maybe you haven't considered the elementary possibility he won by a very narrow margin and his popularity has plummeted ever since his election. D'uh. Look him up, Tom. He's widely considered the most likely Republican to be defeated out of all of them up for re-election. Internal Republican polling way back in 2018 had already pegged him as dead meat. Lastly, his core political base is the relatively sparsely populated Western region of the State, while his popular opponent's core political base is largely the much more heavily populated Front Range. Class over. Look up the rest of it yourself.